996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need your help to upgrade the turbo to 850 rwhp.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Markski,

From the Evoms website:

·Stage 3· Clutch
SKU:CLU996TTL3

This is a clutch package that we developed and engineered for our "in house" 750 HP 996TT. We utilize an OEM Sachs “999” MotorSports pressure plate and increase the clamping force of the by about 500 Lbs. This high clamp force pressure plate combined with our custom designed ceramic disk will hold high horsepower applications without slipping. This system was specifically designed for use with the OEM dual mass flywheel for near stock drive-ability. This system is suitable for daily street driving and capable of handling the road course as well as the drag strip

-High clamp force pressure plate (4100 lbs.)
-Ceramic sport clutch disk

What about the halfshafts do those need to be upgraded if
I am not doing hard launches?

Thanks bro!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Buddy,

If you are truly planning on making that much power; don't skimp on your drivetrain. If you don't upgrade your clutch and your half-shafts, you risk breaking one or the other and leaving yourself stranded and your car out of commission.

It may be a bit more expensive up front, but I'm a big fan of doing things right the first time.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-15-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:35 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Buddy,

If you are truly on planning making that much power; don't skimp on your drivetrain. If you don't upgrade your clutch and your half-shafts, you risk breaking one or the other and leaving yourself stranded and your car out of commission.

It may be a bit more expensive up front, but I'm a big fan of doing things right the first time.
What is the price for upgraded driveshafts?
What is the price for Triple carbon clutch?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Hey that's my pressure plate! I think driveshafts are around 3K from either EVOMS or Protomotive. I was thinking 996tt for a winter DD/commuter car. That last 15% rwhp is quite a bit up on the exponential hp/cost curve.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Buddy,

My humble recommendation: Keep your car exactly as it is. I have spoken with several guys who have built their 996TTs beyond 800 HP and, for various reasons, most were happier at 700 HP. The extra 150+ HP has profound ramifications.

Craig

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Buddy. 850rwhp is what, 1,000 or so at the crank? Is that really the goal, or did you mean 850 at the crank? Either way, it should be stunning. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about the build. The wife tax may kill you . . .

Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
What is the price for upgraded driveshafts?
What is the price for Triple carbon clutch?
Around $4k for the clutch, and $2k for the EVOMS half-shafts (the same ones I have).

Craig is giving sound advice above; as that seems to be the consensus for many owners. But I may be one of the few that's actually happier with my current power level than I was at 700. I personally wouldn't want to go back.

I do think both power ranges have their benefits, though.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-15-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Around $4k for the clutch, and $2k for the EVOMS half-shafts (the same ones I have).

Craig is giving sound advice above; as that seems to be the consensus for many owners. But I may be one of the few that's actually happier with my current power level than I was at 700. I personally wouldn't want to go back.

I do think both power ranges have their benefits, though.
Scott,

Go through the pro and cons of the 700 vs what you have now.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Buddy. 850rwhp is what, 1,000 or so at the crank? Is that really the goal, or did you mean 850 at the crank? Either way, it should be stunning. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about the build. The wife tax may kill you . . .
Yeah 850 rwhp

Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Craig
Buddy,

My humble recommendation: Keep your car exactly as it is. I have spoken with several guys who have built their 996TTs beyond 800 HP and, for various reasons, most were happier at 700 HP. The extra 150+ HP has profound ramifications.

Craig
Craig,

I am going to try to get a ride in Marski's car before deciding. Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
$w!ft is infamous around these parts
Let us know how that feels i to am deciding on what kind of power i would like hehe.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Joe,

Around 10,000
I know your not gonna want to hear this but if your looking for 850rwhp then IMO the cases need to be split and all the parts need to be gone through and checked for any wear..........basically starting over again .........so might as well go 3.8 while you are at it.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Buddy,

An 850 rwhp car is clearly faster than a 650 rwhp car (although the ÂĽ mile margins are not as wide as you might expect . . . the 60-130 margins are plenty wide). My point is simply that with the additional power and speed comes certain inherent drawbacks and undesirable consequences that many often do not discuss publicly. The three most prominent drawbacks relate to driveability, reliability and peace of mind.

Driveability: 650 rwhp can be made with relatively small turbos that spool very quickly. These smaller turbos are generally more enjoyable for most driving conditions that you encounter on a daily basis – e.g., launching from a stop light, quick passing on the street, accelerating out of tight turns, and general spirited driving. These turbos admittedly will not have the same brut force or top end pull of larger turbos. On the other hand, the opportunities to engage the brut force of larger turbos are few and far between, whereas you can engage smaller turbos on a more frequent basis. I have had both smaller and larger (relatively) turbos and, while the rush of the larger turbos is intense (when you have the opportunity to engage them), the smaller turbos were more practical for typical daily driving conditions.

Reliability: Tuners have been making 650 rwhp (=/-) on 996TTs for several years now with tremendous reliability. EVOMS' GT700 package has been perfected and it runs all day long without a hitch. Protomotive and UMW, among others, also offer reliable 650 rwhp packages. When you go beyond 650 rwhp on a 996TT, reliability can become an issue. The stress on the car is exponentially more intense. You are taxing many different components of the car, including the engine/gaskets/seals, axles/shafts/drivetrain, transmission/clutch, boost pipes/hoses, fuel pumps/system, etc. The greater you increase your HP, the greater the stress on these various components and the more likely problems will arise. Moreover, generating more than 650 rwhp (and particularly 850 rwhp) requires the addition and implementation of several after-market products that may have inherent reliability issues. The confluence of these various factors results in a car that is inherently less reliable and requires substantially more attention/maintenance. You do not have to look far on this forum to see examples of this phenomenon. You hear about these amazing times run by certain high HP cars, then there is a period of silence. The silence is often because the car is back at the shop to fix any number of issues. This is far more common than discussed publicly on 6Speedonline.

Peace-of-mind: Generally speaking, the process of building and owning a 650 rwhp 996TT does not tax or diminish ones peace of mind. The build can be completed in a relatively short period of time and, thereafter, one can enjoy many miles of problem free driving. Conversely, the process of building and owning a high HP 996TT can be VERY taxing and can substantially diminish your peace of mind. I am not suggesting that high HP cars are not fun to own – they are a blast. However, the process of building such a car often takes a pound of flesh. Months and months, if not years, of waiting for the various components to be obtained, manufactured, modified, assembled, installed and tuned. Be prepared for a long and tiresome process that will stretch your patience. I have seen it happen time and time again. The "3-4 month" initial estimate turns into 9 months or a year. There are countless examples of this phenomenon here on 6Speed. Then, when the car is finally "finished," its not really finished and still more tweaking is required. Then, when your car is actually finished, the after-care sets-in. All of the foregoing takes its toll on your peace of mind. It can be draining and aggravating and frustrating. It taxes you. Every single person I know who has built a high HP 996TT has endured some amount of the foregoing – some more than others.

Owning a high HP 996TT can be an absolute blast!!!! However, there are many facets to such cars and you should be prepared for the good and the not-so-good before you venture down this path. In the end, you have to decide what you really want from your car. If you want a reliable, fun, fast car that is great for all daily driving conditions and will not disrupt your peace-of-mind, IMHO a 650 rwhp car is ideal. If you want the brut force and intense rush that can only be achieved with an additional 150-200 rwhp, and you are willing to make certain sacrifices, including reduced driveability, reliability and peace-of-mind, go for the big HP, but at least you will go in eyes wide open. I know more than one owner of a high HP 996TT that wishes he had stopped at 700 hp.

Good luck Buddy.

Craig

Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Buddy,

for hard launches you will need some after market axles.
The clutch you have probably will not last either. I have a 1350 Kg triple carbon/metal pressure plate/clutch and at the strip it gave in a little. On the street its fine.
My old sachs with the 1127 Nm pressure plate with lighweight flywheel was not good enough.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Buddy,

for hard launches you will need some after market axles.
The clutch you have probably will not last either. I have a 1350 Kg triple carbon/metal pressure plate/clutch and at the strip it gave in a little. On the street its fine.
My old sachs with the 1127 Nm pressure plate with lighweight flywheel was not good enough.
Mark and Scott-- are your clutches the same spec? Since going to aTS have you had to do anything else to clutch? How has performance been?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need your help to upgrade the turbo to 850 rwhp.