996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Autodimming Mirror Issue? [External seems foggier..]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Autodimming Mirror Issue? [External seems foggier..]

The external (driver side) mirror as well as the interior mirror are electrochromic. They dim at night with bright lights. Fine.

The outside driver mirror seems noticeably 'foggier' than the inside mirror. The passenger side is not electrochrmicm and is perfectly clear.

Is it 'normal' for the driver side to be a tad foggier that the inner one? It is annoying. My M5 does not have this.

P dealer says .... you guessed it, "normal". Any specs, guidance, etc???

Thanks

Adam

Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Great question, mine is the same way.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
It's on its way out. My old M5 had that issue.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
It's on its way out. My old M5 had that issue.
Yeah my current M5 got a new mirror under warranty as well. But that had a small area with a foggy patch.

P dealer was pretty 'dismissive' about it. I'll demand they put it on the work order and deny it in writing next time.

A

Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
My driver side mirror is the same and has bugged me since I bought the car.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CSD952
My driver side mirror is the same and has bugged me since I bought the car.
Dittos, but I figured maybe the Germans hadn't figured out how to autodim without the fog. Do any of you have an autodimming outside mirror that's as clear and sharp as a normal mirror?

Jeff

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM
ard
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Dittos, but I figured maybe the Germans hadn't figured out how to autodim without the fog. Do any of you have an autodimming outside mirror that's as clear and sharp as a normal mirror?

Jeff
On my M5 (German car too) the interior and exterior mirror match- maybe they are a tad less reflective than plain glass mirrors. I think all electrochromic mirror have some lack of refelctivity, just seems weird it is noticeably worse on the external mirror.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Mine's doing it too gang... Any idea what a replacement will run? I just ignore it, but if it's something I can fix, I'd love to replace it.

Mike

Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I think it is normal..I noticed it when I took delivery of my car when it was brand new.