996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Corner balance..YES!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Corner balance..YES!

I had my car aligned 6 weeks ago by a local dealership mechanic. After the alignment, my car seemed extremely darty and unsteady. I had her up to 170 on the Arkansas...I mean, Mexican highway, and she was highly unstable. Scared the sh*t out of me which almost never happens. Todd Knighten also noticed the problem when he drove her. The problem was that the wheels were toed out which contributed to the tendency to drift. Todd said he could recommend the proper settings.

Well, after the 360 incident on highway 10 (did 2 360's on the highway at 70 mph) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=100033 I decide to re-align and corner balance her.

I took her to Sam Shalala who has an independent Porsche shop and is highly respected in the racing community. He did an alignment and a corner balance. MAN is she ROCK SOLID now! The difference is night and day! It was expensive ($380 for corner balance, 190 for re-alignment)

The analogy given by Joel Weinstien of an improperly balanced stool is absolutley noticeable in my car.

The bottom line is that I highly recommened corner balancing, especially if you like to travel at very high speeds.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 10-13-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 AM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
too true. few seem to be able to do it properly though, be careful before you guys get this done. go to a shop with proper motorsport experience if possible.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Sean where exactly is Sam's shop?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Chris,

Sam is on Murphy road, comming from 59 go left about 3/4 of a mile down.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 AM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
All too true. Many times guys have asked on here if a CB is necessary after suspension swap. My answer is always YES!!!

Alignment is not enough IMHO. Why do 90% of the job and not do the final 10%?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned
GrettW is infamous around these parts
I just had mine aligned and corner balanced as well, night and day difference. It is quite expensive, 700 over here....I think it was worth every penny

Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
... after the 360 incident on highway 10 (did 2 360's on the highway at 70 mph)...
Technically, this would have to be classified as a 720 incident

Old 10-13-2007, 10:39 PM
LOl...I almost needed your namesake on that one. I avoid water at all costs nowadays.

Took her out for a spin tonight....she was just PLANTED through a highway sweeper at 90.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yup. cornerweighting and the proper alignment are critical in these cars. I'd recommend picking up a couple books on chassis dynamics. One is called how to make your race car handle, by fred Puhn and the other is Chassis Dynamics. Forget who the author is.

Learning the whole "caster, Camber, Tow, static vs. dynamic, slip angle, bumpsteer" thing will make you a better driver, and better understand what the car is doing and why.

I used to design chassis parts for another platform, and have some articles in published form. Spending time this past spring in a windtunnel opened yet another door to areas for experimenting. Problem is that the 996TT is already so damned aerodynamically advanced, that I'll have to play with aero on my other project car!

Mike

Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Banned
Lounge Lizard is infamous around these parts
I always use Sam Shalala, wouldn't go anywhere else, knows his **** and a great character, he'll keep ya there talking all day too if ya let him

Directions: http://www.protechnik.com/aboutus.html#Directions

Old 10-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned
derek k is infamous around these parts
#####'s

were you supplied with before and after weights and cross weight%.

it would be interesting to see how far off the factory alignment #s are from a stable cars #"s are.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Interestingly enough I've talked with several guys who have had their GT3s checked right after purchase and the alignements were horribly off. Getting your car set up with you sitting in it and the corner balancing done is the best way to go for sure.

I'd also take advantage of the slotted upper tower holes on the front shock settings. Get a front street and front Track alignment that will allow you to DIY it yourself before and after an event... It's three bolts per side on the shock towers and takes about 5 minutes per side, including jack-up time.

Mike

Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I picked up the car friday at 5 OClock...Sam was gone but I will discuss these issues w/ him. Sam is a decent sized guy, I am 223. I will be putting on new tires soon and will have him prep the car before the Supra nats in March (where I will be tracking, doing the mile...hopefully 190 plus, and the 60-130 comp).

I will be doing 2 60-130 comps and maybe a highway run or 3 in "Mexico" in the meantime and she is good to go for that.