996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New member, new 966TT (to me)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:16 PM
RG955TT is infamous around these parts
New member, new 966TT (to me)

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2002 996TT w/32K miles, to go with my CayenneTT. The Cayenne TT spoiled me no regular 911 would do. I love this thing. Mint condition, just a couple of stone nicks on the front bumper. Maintence book was stamped by Porsche dealer at all the right intervals. I really like the interior which is gray w/color matched center console and a few carbon fiber bits including the sterring wheel. Already looking at mods.
2 quick questions, under moderate acceleration I get a honk, like a goose honks at about 3500 to 4000 rpm. Diverter valves perhaps? The other question is that under 85 mph novibration but over 85 and especially above 90-95 I'm getting a fairly pronounced vibration. Just wheel balance? Tires are almost new, brakes are new, no 2nd gear issues. Love the way it handles and the power is just fantastic. This is a great forum! Look forward to participating. Here are a few pics....

Old 10-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Oh, third question...is there such a thing as a sport exhaust for the 996TT made by Porsche? My car is not that super quiet that others on here have said. DEaler said it had a porsche sport exhaust. If there is such a thing how would I identify it? Thanks for the help!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Super clean car you have there. Thanks for the pics.
Check the balance on your wheels. I've had to have mine balanced 2 times at the Porsche dealer. The second time I took it back they apologized and did it for free. My understanding is the honking means your DVs are bad.
I've never heard of a sport exhaust for a TT.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
Welcome and a clean looking car you have. Now let the mods begin. Agree on tire balance issue. Do you feel it in the steering wheel or seat of pants? This will tell you if it's a rear or front issue. Not sure on the sport exhaust. DV's most likely as Onetime suggested with the "honking" issue. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks folks, pretty excited to go from my 928 to this. JWC, the vibration seems to be everywhere at 90mph plus. I can even feel it in the gas pedal, though not as bad through the steering wheel as other like problems I had on my Cayenne. I'll have he dealer high speed balance and then try again. I didn't get a chance to test the car at those speeds till after I bought it so I hope it is just the balance. I just bought a set of diverter valves so I'll replace those since that's likely where the honking is coming from.
BTW, what is the typical boost showing on the display for a stock car? The mods have already started...been on a buying spree since I bought the darn thing! Lots of cool stuff available for 996TT's....

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RG955TT
BTW, what is the typical boost showing on the display for a stock car?
Congrats on the new car. Nice color combo, and the painted console and CF parts really spruce up the interior.

My understanding is that for a stock non-X50 996tt, max boost is 0.7-0.8 bar.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:44 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Very nice. I have the same color interior with a slate exterior...thinking about black carpet/mats and CF or painted trim...

Enjoy

A

Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Congradulations on the new car, thats one classic colour combination and definatley one of those cars that you never get bored of.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey Ard, I already ordered the black mats...way easier to keep clean (I switched from beige to black in my Cayenne Turbo already) and I think they'll look good too. I ordered the horseshoe around the radio in Artic Silver, we'll see how that looks w/the artic center console.. I've got quite a bit of carbon fiber already, steering wheel, shift ****, handbrake, and the door sills so I think I'm done w/the CF. Just a little customization to make it feel like mine, ya know?

Old 10-14-2007, 02:18 PM
jimq is infamous around these parts
nice looking. Enjoy the ride

Old 10-14-2007, 04:08 PM
chrissurfr has a spectacular aura aboutchrissurfr has a spectacular aura aboutchrissurfr has a spectacular aura about
good selling point by a lying salesman on the sport exhaust haha

Old 10-14-2007, 04:47 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
If you don't feel it in the wheel it's most likely to be a rear balance issue with one of the tires. Let us know when it's fixed and what it was.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
edl
edl is infamous around these parts
Beautiful car - looks very clean.

02's definitely have louder exhausts than the 01's.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Congrats, enjoy it in good health.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I too have the same issues with vibrations, as you described. I'm intersted to you know what you do to fix the issue. I had the tires balanced twice, and the car seems to be having the same problem again.

Beautiful car!!! Is the center console the Alumalook Rear Console from BumperPlugs or factory?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member, new 966TT (to me)