996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Throttle Steering and Trail Braking the TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
I've always felt 911's were DESIGNED for trail braking

Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ARG
.....The key with a 911 is to concentrate on earliest possible application of the throttle and not mid corner speed so the apex is going to be later than that for a front or mid engine car so as to allow for the straighter exit line/earlier throttle.

The TT is comparatively heavy and soft and I find trail braking more difficult in that it is easier to upset the balance. Maybe some more practice would help but I suspect the key is "smooth is fast" which is hard to do if you are effectively forcing turn in oversteer to combat the understeer. IMHO it requires a smoother application of everthing but the concentration is still on the early power.

Any 911 in a mixed field is at a disadvantage from turn in to apex but comes into it's own with all that weight over the rear wheels allowing much earlier application of the throttle.
Great thread guys..thanks to all for valuable info.
I'll preface my comments by saying that I have had very limited track time in the 996tt and it is my first Porsche(18months and 34K).

However, after reading ARG's comments and Diet'z Rocking Horse post, I've actually slightly changed the way I drive my 996tt on the road..and it's a lot more enjoyable.

The thing that's helped me most is when cornering, getting on the brakes earlier and earlier on the throttle which seems to whip the tail around a bit more.Mind you, this is just at sensible road speed but I'm sure that knowledge will be transferable to track.