996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Standard is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Unbeatable my behind, when the R34 was brought here it got waisted by a base C5 and a few other cars, ran porr 0-60 and 14 sec 1/4 mile, which may have been ok back then.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The New GT-R weighs 3800 + lbs and likely will have under 500 hp. It's the usual overhype, I dont see why people wont just let the car establish itself before they go around blabbing about it killing corvettes and 911's. Let it do something first. You couldnt tell the fanboys it wasnt going to beat the CGT at the ring (it was difficult to tell them not possible for the 7:15 rumor), then when the weight specs came out there was a wave of silence. Then back to the usual "it doesnt matter" when it comes to specs.
turns out the 7:38 rumor on run-flats and a partially wet track was true. But I doubt you'd be satisfied even if it could fly.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Standard

turns out the 7:38 rumor on run-flats and a partially wet track was true. But I doubt you'd be satisfied even if it could fly.
why not just buy a skyline GTR here in the USA and order the body-kit?

you'll find several with ridiculous levels of modification, low engine hours and the cool RDH for $30-40K, bolt on the body kit and wheels, shoot it and you're on your way to NOPI tuner heaven...

http://www.uniqueautosports.com/forsale_gtr.htm

Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Should be a awesome ride!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Standard

There will still be some explaining to do, if you think a 3800 lbs <500 hp car is lapping with GT3's and Z06's you have no idea about road racing.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Firstly, I'm doubtful of the 0-60 claims.
Secondly, Doesn't look supercary (is that a word?)
Thirdly, Writing an 80k check at a Nissan dealer?

Just reminds me of another shot at Porsche. Kinda like Mitsubishi with their 3000 gts (i think that's what it was) awhile back.

I'll keep my TT for awhile

tw

Old 10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Firstly, I'm doubtful of the 0-60 claims.
Secondly, Doesn't look supercary (is that a word?)
Thirdly, Writing an 80k check at a Nissan dealer?

Just reminds me of another shot at Porsche. Kinda like Mitsubishi with their 3000 gts (i think that's what it was) awhile back.

I'll keep my TT for awhile

tw

For the money, I'd still buy a used TT

#1 new car depreciation, where the TT will be stable now.

#2 with a few mods, just as potent for road racing (even with a few mods on the GT-R)

#3 Weight, the TT is heavy but 3800 lbs will be hell on the wallett replacing pads, rotors, tires etc.

#4 Having owned a TT, I love them, so I'm biased somewhat.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I've drove a mod. R34 back in Asia, is the most solid Japanese car I've ever drove but still no Porsche. Even I will fly, I will still take a normal C2 over it.

What kind of gearbox they're going to offer? from the pic, it look like auto??

Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM
tomask50 is infamous around these parts
Gtr

My .02:

Looks cheap on the inside

The front is butt ugly

"These are people with tiny ***** and little *****."

Last edited by tomask50; 10-18-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Im in two minds about it,im sure it will be fast as hell,handle on rails and all the other cliches you want to throw at it,but my problem with it,is the styling,and who ever is in charge of styling at Nissan should have been sacked a long time ago.
Nissan make really good cars,and i have owned a few over the years,but in recent times the styling has really gone over the top,and not in a good way!
If i was going to spend that sort of money on a car i have to agree with some of the other posters that i would rather have a second hand Porsche turbo then this car brand new,for two reasons.
The first being the styling,whenever i see a 996 or 993 turbo i still go ga-ga over it!,that never happens with any Nissan,and secondly there is just some unquantifiable x factor that you get with some cars and not with others.
Sadly for some reason Nissan could build a 900 horsepower gt-r and it would still not be as special to drive as a 420 horsepower Porsche.
Just my opinion.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
tomask50 is infamous around these parts
E36-RAT... totally agree. All the current line of Nissan cars are VERY ugly to me on the outside. Inside, I think they are doing a good job of hitting their target markets (Altima 3.5 for example). You nailed it in my opinion.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ray
I've drove a mod. R34 back in Asia, is the most solid Japanese car I've ever drove but still no Porsche. Even I will fly, I will still take a normal C2 over it.

What kind of gearbox they're going to offer? from the pic, it look like auto??

DSG.
looking forward to this car but yes, numbers are doubtful...
i wish 3800lb is an overestimate

Old 10-19-2007, 04:06 AM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E36-RAT
.........Im in two minds about it,im sure it will be fast as hell,handle on rails and all the other cliches you want to throw at it,but my problem with it,is the styling.
Rat

I share your sentiments and others like it.

One wonders whether there is supposed to be some subliminal or cultural design influences going on there...look at the front of the new Evo X...looks awful, but it seems to bear some resemblance(if you squint) to the face of a Japanese ninja...so does the GTR.By analogy, the 996tt bears some resemblance to Claudia Schiffer.

So looks, status, desirability all go to the 996tt, but measured by on road performance, the GTR will be competitive with the 997tt and 996tt.

There's no doubt that not many are going to dump their 996tt's for the GTR.The 996tt is a classic.However, there are quite a few people who might consider adding it it to their already impressive garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.