996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
New GTR

In Aust, the first generation GTR was unbeatable in motorsport and was outlawed.New GTR should be interesting:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=44635

When it lands in OZ around 2009, I'll want my 996tt to at least keep up if not better the quoted performance:

".....the GT-R will be powered by a 3.8-litre twin-turbocharged V6 and again employ an all-wheel-drive system. The new V6 is reported to deliver 353kW of power and 588Nm of torque, and Nissan is said to claim the GT-R sprints from 0-97km/h in 3.5 seconds and complete the quarter-mile dash in 11.7 seconds. Top speed is reportedly 310km/h."

You guys in the States are lucky this time around since Australia was the only market outside of Japan where the the first GTR was officially exported.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM
BIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the rough
But it is still ugly.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by BIG LUV
But it is still ugly.
I agree the first one was ugly..this one is less so and it may look a little better in the flesh particularly if you look at what Nissan has done with the 350Z.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM
snapscan is infamous around these parts
I maybe in the minority but i think the car looks decent. I am looking forward to the first published road test of a production model.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by snapscan
I maybe in the minority but i think the car looks decent. I am looking forward to the first published road test of a production model.
So am I.I wouldn't be surprised if it is line ball with the 997tt.

I'm hoping it lands in OZ as late as possible, so that I am almost at end of my Lease period with the TT.Depending on circumstances, I'd love to have both in my garage.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I'm looking forward to this car.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Unbeatable my behind, when the R34 was brought here it got waisted by a base C5 and a few other cars, ran porr 0-60 and 14 sec 1/4 mile, which may have been ok back then.

The New GT-R weighs 3800 + lbs and likely will have under 500 hp. It's the usual overhype, I dont see why people wont just let the car establish itself before they go around blabbing about it killing corvettes and 911's. Let it do something first. You couldnt tell the fanboys it wasnt going to beat the CGT at the ring (it was difficult to tell them not possible for the 7:15 rumor), then when the weight specs came out there was a wave of silence. Then back to the usual "it doesnt matter" when it comes to specs.

Overall, I like the car, but some of the fanboys make it hard to enjoy with the "godzilla" killing everything etc etc etc. If the specs motortrend released are accurate (because they had interior and engine shots never released before, so it's very possible), 0-60 in 3.5, 11.7 1/4 mile and 192 top speed @ 38000 lbs they'd better be coming with a sequel.

Besides, there has been at least two GT-R threads in every section of the 996/997TT or GT2/GT3/CGT. That gets old. I'm looking forward to another car coming to the track, but this domination stuff gets on my nerves.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
They are going to show it in the Tokyo Motorshow on the 25th - I'm going to take some pics and get some info and post it up. Think they have a Porsche booth as well/

Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Unbeatable my behind, when the R34 was brought here it got waisted by a base C5 and a few other cars, ran porr 0-60 and 14 sec 1/4 mile, which may have been ok back then.

The New GT-R weighs 3800 + lbs and likely will have under 500 hp. It's the usual overhype, I dont see why people wont just let the car establish itself before they go around blabbing about it killing corvettes and 911's. Let it do something first. You couldnt tell the fanboys it wasnt going to beat the CGT at the ring (it was difficult to tell them not possible for the 7:15 rumor), then when the weight specs came out there was a wave of silence. Then back to the usual "it doesnt matter" when it comes to specs.

Overall, I like the car, but some of the fanboys make it hard to enjoy with the "godzilla" killing everything etc etc etc. If the specs motortrend released are accurate (because they had interior and engine shots never released before, so it's very possible), 0-60 in 3.5, 11.7 1/4 mile and 192 top speed @ 38000 lbs they'd better be coming with a sequel.

Besides, there has been at least two GT-R threads in every section of the 996/997TT or GT2/GT3/CGT. That gets old. I'm looking forward to another car coming to the track, but this domination stuff gets on my nerves.

Heavyy...

I would have thought that you would take care of your nerves a little better by avoiding posts that from the outset telegraph their hazard to your health.

Please take care and move one if you have nothing constructive to add.There are others that may be interested in a new release item which this is.

I said it blew everything away in its class in Australia competing against other modified cars.Sure they didn't have a Corvette C5 competing against it, but it would have been blown away as well.

Who ever said that the GTR was gunning for the CGT....

The 997 turbo is its target:
http://news.windingroad.com/automoti...han-911-turbo/

I like the GTR but don't consider myself a fanboy...maybe you've just read too many GTR posts...have you ever driven one?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rafiki
Heavyy...

I would have thought that you would take care of your nerves a little better by avoiding posts that from the outset telegraph their hazard to your health.

Please take care and move one if you have nothing constructive to add.There are others that may be interested in a new release item which this is.

I said it blew everything away in its class in Australia competing against other modified cars.Sure they didn't have a Corvette C5 competing against it, but it would have been blown away as well.

I like the GTR but don't consider myself a fanboy...maybe you've just read too many GTR posts...have you ever driven one?

Heavy didn't really say anything wrong... he's got some valid points. I'm still waiting for some jap-junk that can run with the best of them out of the box. I'm certain that tuned and on a diet it will be a beast of a car... but look at the mustang cobra... ~3800 lbs... takes 580+ (at the wheels) to run a mid-ish 11... and weight its not your friend in corners either.... hmmmm...

Seth

Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rafiki
Heavyy...

No, never driven one.

Have you any reason for posting this in the 996 TT section???? I'll move on when this gets out of here.

A race car won it's classes, not a street car. I have been on all the GT-R forums keeping up with what's going on with the car so I know as much as you do about the new car (all there is to be known anyways).

I'm not looking it up but there is a recent article that "suggests" (their word) that Nissan eclipsed the TT's ring time and was aiming for the CGT's ring time, do a search on here and you'll find the other fanboys posting it..

Beside everything I said is constructive, you come in here blabbing about previous models yada yada, and I offered some additional specs, from what I have read as well. I'm sick of all the GT-R posts in every section here, put it where it belongs.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i agree with heavy! alos ,the car is pretty ugly .and the interior even uglyer !!! the only thing god about it , is that is probably gonna be SUPER mod freindly like last skylines , and then is will be monster..

Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Have you any reason for posting this in the 996 TT section???? I'll move on when this gets out of here.
Yeah, its a car that is going to be very close in performance to the 997tt and modded 996tt and price wise will be close to second hand values of 996tt's...hmm I think this makes sense to me at least.

No, never driven one.
I have

A race car won it's classes, not a street car.
Look up Bathurst and look up Targa Tasmania ..the GTR's are lethal street cars.In regards to the CGT, that is a red herring, it was never meant to copete again

I'm sick of all the GT-R posts in every section here, put it where it belongs.
Thankfully, you're not a moderator yet!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by 996Choy
They are going to show it in the Tokyo Motorshow on the 25th - I'm going to take some pics and get some info and post it up. Think they have a Porsche booth as well/
Look forward to that.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
i agree with heavy! alos ,the car is pretty ugly .and the interior even uglyer !!! the only thing god about it , is that is probably gonna be SUPER mod freindly like last skylines , and then is will be monster..
agree that it is heavy and not as good looking as 996tt.Not sure about interior though.I recall the seats of even the early models were very good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.