996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Had a bad turbo day today. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
there is some fantastic information on this thread. Thanks for the info. To the OP - i hope the coolant issue isnt something major. good luck

Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Yeah, what was the resolution of the coolant? Hopefully something simple like a blown hose or something...

Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
How much oil did you add after the oil change?
did you drain the turbos??

Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
wow...this is an old thread that came back to life!

Thank you....no, it wasn't anything major. Just an old hose that decided to split length-wise like a hot dog bun. The desert is pretty rough on rubber parts and this one simply just gave up on me.

Thanks,

Rob

Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
there is some fantastic information on this thread. Thanks for the info. To the OP - i hope the coolant issue isnt something major. good luck

Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Bingo! I was hoping like crazy that it was simply a hose as you suggested instead of something major..... I feel like I dodged a bullet for sure!

Thanks,

Rob

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Yeah, what was the resolution of the coolant? Hopefully something simple like a blown hose or something...

Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Thinking back, I don't think that I did drain the turbos that time. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it was 9 quarts that I added to the car.

When buying oil this morning, the parts guy told me that there is a little bit of a shortage on Mobil 1 oil right now due to a fire at the manufacturing plant. Sales ploy or not, I fell for it and bought a bunch.

Thanks,

Rob

Originally Posted by SXN
How much oil did you add after the oil change?
did you drain the turbos??

Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Oil plug...8+ qts...they come out FAST....kaboom. You have been warned.

I use EBC red-stuff pads on the street...and light DE. Better than stock on track and no squeal. I have been told yellow-stuff also lack noise...and are even better on the track. Red-Stuff claim to be better cold. I can attest to awesome street performance at 30F cold...and on track.

Pagids just seemed to be so expensive....so I tried the red-stuff's by EBC. I don't plan to go back. No real rotor wear either.

JB
+1 on the Kaboom, mine overwhelmed the hole in the pan and made a boo boo on rhe floor.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 AM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Oil plug...8+ qts...they come out FAST....kaboom. You have been warned.

JB

Hahaha....I learned that the hard on the first oil change I performed on the TT....boy was it surprising to see a jet of oil rushing out. Mental note...next time bring the oil pan inches away from the oil sump reserve tank!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Has anyone ever used a Fumoto Drain Valve? I had one on my other car and made oil changes very simple. It doesn't come out nearly as fast so it will take longer but if you want to get an oil sample to blackstone mid oil change, this thing is one of the only ways.

I haven't changed the oil on the turbo yet so I don't know how much room is down there for it.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...ductCode=F104N

Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Has anyone ever used a Fumoto Drain Valve? I had one on my other car and made oil changes very simple. It doesn't come out nearly as fast so it will take longer but if you want to get an oil sample to blackstone mid oil change, this thing is one of the only ways.

I haven't changed the oil on the turbo yet so I don't know how much room is down there for it.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...ductCode=F104N
Not for a Porsche! I have only seen things like that on daily drivers. Just imagine if you went off or it got caught on something, not an issue with the standard plug.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
Not for a Porsche! I have only seen things like that on daily drivers. Just imagine if you went off or it got caught on something, not an issue with the standard plug.
Well, if there is room for it, i am all about putting it on. The release locks in place and you can also get a lock if you really are worried about it getting snagged on something to pull it open. Had it on my last car for the 40K miles that i had it and never once had a problem!