996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrading turbos, staying with GIAC Programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Upgrading turbos, staying with GIAC Programming

Hey guys,

At this point I think its time to upgrade the K16's. I know that I could go with K24's from AWE utilizing my GIAC software and just upgrading to the next level of programming. But, I think I would prefer to go with hybrid turbos after reading so much about the differences. That being said, I would rather not throw away my $1,700 already spent on the GIAC programming. So, I am looking for a tuner that can give me a new turbo package but be able to build on my current programming, and PSI exhaust.
As well, I am looking to go into the 600hp range but still utiize whatever I purchase as a stepping stone for the future. I don't want to waste money but instead, keep building on previous purchases as my need for more horsepower increases.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Forget about it. I threw away 2 ecus... comes with the territory of swithcing. do it once right and u save down the line.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
Hey guys,

At this point I think its time to upgrade the K16's. I know that I could go with K24's from AWE utilizing my GIAC software and just upgrading to the next level of programming. But, I think I would prefer to go with hybrid turbos after reading so much about the differences. That being said, I would rather not throw away my $1,700 already spent on the GIAC programming. So, I am looking for a tuner that can give me a new turbo package but be able to build on my current programming, and PSI exhaust.
As well, I am looking to go into the 600hp range but still utiize whatever I purchase as a stepping stone for the future. I don't want to waste money but instead, keep building on previous purchases as my need for more horsepower increases.
Kewin,

I am in the exact same dilemna as you, except that I have the k16/k24 in hands. I have made a post about this a few days ago but it has been deleted. To my understanding, I can simply upgrade to K24 program from giac (retail $1000) and it should be 100% operational.

Also, to my understanding, I will not get much more with "tuner" specific hybrid programs compared to the k24 program from Giac. This said, I consider that it is not worth the 2-3k investement for a "tuner hybrid specific program".

Again, that is what I can understand about.. However, I might be wrong (please correct me) and also, one thing that has not been answered is about the reliability of a k24 program on k16/24 turbos. What happens if the hybrid boost earlier, will the K24 program understand that and send the appropriate data for "early" or abnormal K24(giac program) boost situation(hybrid) ?

Cheers
Bo

Old 10-21-2007, 01:40 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Call Speed Gallery and go for their 650 turbo's! Mz3bo you are right...

Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
Call Speed Gallery and go for their 650 turbo's! Mz3bo you are right...
What about the reliability issue ?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:02 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
If you already have GIAC. Go with the stage 3/4 software (its the same). Change or port/polish the headers. Get the k16/k24 turbo's. You should have the exhaust and DV's. Then you got 600hp. I had this setup and it has a real rush and kick to it.

Jag

Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jags911tt
If you already have GIAC. Go with the stage 3/4 software (its the same). Change or port/polish the headers. Get the k16/k24 turbo's. You should have the exhaust and DV's. Then you got 600hp. I had this setup and it has a real rush and kick to it.

Jag

So, Jag, I can have my stock turbos made into 16/24 hybrids? Port and polish my existing headers and upgrade my GIAC software....and I will be there?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
not true the GIAC stage 4 programing with hybrid k16/24's runs lean. Please use a 5 bar in this case and make sure you get on a dyno or have an afr gauge. Yes it was a surprise to me too. Luckily I didn't sustain any permanent damage.

S

Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Highhats
not true the GIAC stage 4 programing with hybrid k16/24's runs lean. Please use a 5 bar in this case and make sure you get on a dyno or have an afr gauge. Yes it was a surprise to me too. Luckily I didn't sustain any permanent damage.

S
Wohooo... this is getting interesting... anyone else can chime in ? highhats, do you think your particular setup has anything to do in "running Lean" Since other members said they had good results...

Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Suman

you might be right because I never dynoed the car with that setup.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
FVD Stage 4 programming works great with k16/24's. Low to mid 12 AFR at WOT.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I got my turbos from IA(Kevin's UMW hybrids) and used the GIAC/EVOMS stage 4 programming. I do not suggest this to anyone! My FVD program on the other hand with the k16's rocked my world LOL. Mike form Evoms will tell you the same thing, that using these turbos with there stage 4 is a mistake. He told me on the phone.

S

Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
Yeah I got my turbos from IA(Kevin's UMW hybrids) and used the GIAC/EVOMS stage 4 programming. I do not suggest this to anyone! My FVD program on the other hand with the k16's rocked my world LOL. Mike form Evoms will tell you the same thing, that using these turbos with there stage 4 is a mistake. He told me on the phone.

S
I don't understand Suman...........so you had turbos and programming from 2 different kits?Why make the blanket statement that all stage 3-4's run lean if you were running turbos and programming not designed for one another or was your programming changed for the ZC turbos?I know all stage 4's are not running a lean condition otherwise we would see alot of blown motors around here.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by joetwint
I don't understand Suman...........so you had turbos and programming from 2 different kits?Why make the blanket statement that all stage 3-4's run lean if you were running turbos and programming not designed for one another or was your programming changed for the ZC turbos?I know all stage 4's are not running a lean condition otherwise we would see alot of blown motors around here.

Joe

when u buy a stage 3/4 kit from IA, Kaspar gives you the option of changing out teh k16 to k24's or buying a set of UMW hybrids. I dont know if Kaspar knows that that combo runs lean and if he does he should stop offering that combo with UMW turbo's

Jag

Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
Joe

when u buy a stage 3/4 kit from IA, Kaspar gives you the option of changing out teh k16 to k24's or buying a set of UMW hybrids. I dont know if Kaspar knows that that combo runs lean and if he does he should stop offering that combo with UMW turbo's

Jag
Oh, but that really isn't a stage 3/4 or atleast what I would think of as a stage 3/4.I think of stage 3/4 with k24's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading turbos, staying with GIAC Programming