996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Got a PSM & ABS failure display and lights at the track...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I have had this happen when I did a number of runs on a skid pad. It may
be that the PSM/ABS goes nuts if your inside front wheel is off the ground
too much. Other than that, maybe MAF. I've had that problem too, and
replaced it. And for what it's worth, I have an Upsolute flash since '01 with
no problems.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Ok guys, I got the news earlier this afternoon from my shop. Looks like my PSM/Traction senor along with my ABS senor on the front passanger side are both bad. The codes did not show anything else wrong with the car. The shop should get the senors tomorrow and I'll have the car back Wednesday morning...

Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same problem recently and it was the most minor thing. When the PSM/ABS light is on, step on the brakes and have a friend check to see if the brake lights work. If they don't, then a sensor under the brake pedal needs to be replaced. If your brake lights do work, then it could be any of the other things that everyone else mentioned.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Ok guys, I got the news earlier this afternoon from my shop. Looks like my PSM/Traction senor along with my ABS senor on the front passanger side are both bad. The codes did not show anything else wrong with the car. The shop should get the senors tomorrow and I'll have the car back Wednesday morning...
Thread revival, I know...

Martin, can you confirm that replacing these sensors solved the problem? I am having these same issues currently and trying to get to the bottom of it.

thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Best of luck fixing it, should be easy fix.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 AM
SCARY is infamous around these parts
PSM ABS at the track

Originally Posted by art4iza
Best of luck fixing it, should be easy fix.
I have 2WD and run Hoosiers at the track. I have replaced the MAF 3 times, the DME chipped to GT2 now replaced completly with a GT660 kit. I have gone off the track (as recent as last weekend) with ABS cutting in at least 6 times right at the apex when I think I lift a front wheel turning in trail braking. The ABS cuts in at the worst time and doesnt release until I am down to a low speed often in the grass as I cant turn. I now have to disconnect the ABS to reduce lap times. I am now told that a 2WD mod confuses the TT PSM and ABS when tracking hard and I need a different wiring loom perhaps out of a Gt3 and a cupcar ABS pump. Good to have known this prior to this journey. Also I am told by the local Porsche dealer that the PSM when disabled on the dash is only disabled until you next touch the brakes.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
MAF, time to do Proto Intake and FORD MAF

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
Flash68, check the wiring harness that goes from the wheel hub and runs into the trunk. It is about a 12" long wiring harness. I had a similar problem and the harness looked fine, but the wires in the harness had broke. The error code was Right Wheel Speed Sensor fault. The sensors were replaced and this still did not fix the problem. Then right side harness was checked.

Broke them on a canyon run, going into a right turn, That is when the PSM/ABS Failure lights came on.

Last edited by MikeR; 11-11-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I think that the replies in this thread make it patently clear that the PSM/ABS lights can come from a VERY LARGE number of different problems. Basically, anything that makes the computer think that the sensor responses are outside its ability to effectively control, and it shuts of PSM, takes ABS with it, and gives you the lights.

You HAVE to get the codes read.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned
speedwerks is infamous around these partsspeedwerks is infamous around these parts
ABS/PSM lights

I've had the same thing happen often on-track, usually when running Hoosiers. I still have AWD. I cycle the car (off/on) after the session, and everything clears. The Hoosiers generate G's and/or differential wheel speeds that the sensors pick up, but are outside the boundaries of what the ABS and PSM controllers are expecting/looking for, so they shut down. I've also had MAF failures and broken wires in the wheel wells; the symptoms are different, and neither generated ABS or PSM codes.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MikeR
Flash68, check the wiring harness that goes from the wheel hub and runs into the trunk. It is about a 12" long wiring harness. I had a similar problem and the harness looked fine, but the wires in the harness had broke. The error code was Right Wheel Speed Sensor fault. The sensors were replaced and this still did not fix the problem. Then right side harness was checked.

Broke them on a canyon run, going into a right turn, That is when the PSM/ABS Failure lights came on.

That was the exact problem I had on my car. Replaced the harness and it's now good as new.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
That was the exact problem I had on my car. Replaced the harness and it's now good as new.
Just ordered this new harness ($117) and will be having it installed on Friday. Hopefully that cures it!

thanks guys

Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Hey guys, just a heads up for anyone needing a stock MAF - I've got a bunch on hand brand new, $239.95. PM me if anyone needs one... This is about a third of the price our local Porsche Dealership charges for them in KC!