996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Got a PSM & ABS failure display and lights at the track...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Question Got a PSM & ABS failure display and lights at the track...any ideas?

So I was out on the track at a PCA DE event yesterday and today and in this afternoon after going through a tight turn the PSM and ABS lights came on along with the the messages that there is a PSM failure and a ABS failure. Before that time I would have the PSM kick in around a few turns at the track the entire weekend. The car did not go into limp mode and runs perfectly fine. I'm going to take it in to Carl's Place (a indy Porsche shop in Vegas) on Monday to see what the problem is. Anyone got any ideas what may be going on??? I don't think I'm not great of a driver on the track that I destroyed the PSM & ABS system...

Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
It can be a handful of minor things... if u had a scan tool you would find the code yourself...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Most likely is the maf sensor.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
Most likely is the maf sensor.
That's the first thing that popped into my head, but the car never went into limp mode and I've driven the car about 60 miles since the lights came on with no other issues. Sometimes the lights don't come on after I turn on the car until I seem to take a turn aggressively. I guess I'll know more tomorrow after they scan the fault codes.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
It can be a handful of minor things... if u had a scan tool you would find the code yourself...
The shop has a laptop scanner so I'll know quickly. I'm hoping that it's just some senor that went bad.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
USC, Same thing happened to me sat. when i was tracking in houston. I think it might be a maf. I thought the same thing about my driving, being to rough on it.Everthing seemed normal driving home,except abs/psm/cel lights.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
had my car blow a MAF at 1.3 bar last week. (with race gas)
abs/psm lights came on and didnt go off. those 2 components were confirmed to be disabled since at hard braking i locked up wheels and car swayed alittle to the side...(no abs is scary if you slam on brakes).
anyway car was running great in terms of power delivery.
took car to dealership and they said it was a 5525 code which is some sort of power interuption to tranny. dme issue.

took car to protosport in nj and a new maf was put in. problem solved.
car runs great now. evo intake out of the car, stock airbox back in.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM
MX RACER is infamous around these parts
The same thing has happened to me twice It was the MAF the car still ran
fine both times...

Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I track my 996tt heavily, and the reason I get my lights to come on is my wheel rotates inside of the tire at varying "speeds" while braking hard (say one wheel on concrete and the other on standard asphalt.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
I've encountered this problem as well. Not at the track but on bursts to about 130. I pulled the codes and was told it was most likely due to my Upsolute chip. Trojanman, you dont by chance have an Upsolute reflash do you?

Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by CarNerd
I've encountered this problem as well. Not at the track but on bursts to about 130. I pulled the codes and was told it was most likely due to my Upsolute chip. Trojanman, you dont by chance have an Upsolute reflash do you?
Nope, I have the GIAC flash.

If the MAF was going bad, wouldn't I also get a CEL (check engine) light too and the car would go into limp mode?

Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Nope, I have the GIAC flash.

If the MAF was going bad, wouldn't I also get a CEL (check engine) light too and the car would go into limp mode?
ya, thats what I thought anyway...Ive gotten the problem ONLY because of my brakes...if your getting it for ANOTHER reason, something is definitely being messed with by a gremlin...haha

Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Ive had that come on but from a boost hose that blew off... It should be your MAF though in your occasion!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ive had that come on but from a boost hose that blew off... It should be your MAF though in your occasion!
well, for catastrophic or major things like that, all sorts of sensors get tripped...haha...but Im guessing you DEFINITELY had a CEL for that one...

Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i've driven across the country (approx Ariz-> FL) w/ the exact same symptoms as yours - culprit - blown MAF. the car can run perfectly w/ a bad MAF.

- chuck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a PSM & ABS failure display and lights at the track...any ideas?