996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
it's not easy.. and no matter what your soon to be tuner says make sure he is going to back it up and not experimnet on your car for 2 years. trust me, I have been there I know. Does he have a full blown fuel system figured out? should u be running one big pump? 2 pumps? fuel rails? fuel lines? how big? injector sizes? low impedience? high impedience? 5 bar or a regulated 4.2 bar FPR? what about the almighty MAF that everyone has been stumped by? Even the biggest in the business couldnt get a grasp for some time. Look how long its taking UWM who is I believe a master in turbocharging... does your tuner have a P car running with all the above?
Maf issue solved? fuel system for a 800 rwhp package? Tuned?
Tuning volvos and audis for 7100 HP gains is far from reinventing the Porsche wheel... sorry, Im not trying to put anyone down... but I have been down this road before... I just hope for your sake that the person you choose to go with can handle all the above issues. It's all peachy til things go wrong... Then you will have to come back to one of the 3 tuners you refered to... thats if they will be willing to finish your car.
I really hope it will work out... I really do.

good luck,
markski
I agree totally.It all sounds good on paper ......but go try it out and it ain't that easy once you go over a certain HP level.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
if you hold your pedal at a certain RPM, you *will not* build boost. that's a fact, not just of my narrow focus of reality. what is being discussed is a way to build boost on the line.
If this is in fact be tuned thru the ECU that is great improvement to conventional thinking, but lets not kid ourselves about its usefulness. These drivelines and axles can barely survive a hard launch with no boost. A launch at 1 bar will do one of two things: destroy the driveline or just spin.Better tires will just strain the driveline even more. Mark's journey to the nines was painful evidence that these cars are real fragile around the 9, low 10 sec mark without real expensive upgrades to axles, clutches, pressure plates, mounts and other items. It should be noted that a 2 step is REAL hard on turbos since it is dumping fuel to create boost while producing serious heat. A set of turbos will not last very long be used in this way. It is good though that some out of the box thinking is taking place

Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 05997S
Here is an idea. Why don't you learn how to manipulate the gas pedal to hold whatever rpm is most advantageous for a hard launch? I will teach you how for $795.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
it's not easy.. and no matter what your soon to be tuner says make sure he is going to back it up and not experimnet on your car for 2 years. trust me, I have been there I know. Does he have a full blown fuel system figured out? should u be running one big pump? 2 pumps? fuel rails? fuel lines? how big? injector sizes? low impedience? high impedience? 5 bar or a regulated 4.2 bar FPR? what about the almighty MAF that everyone has been stumped by? Even the biggest in the business couldnt get a grasp for some time. Look how long its taking UWM who is I believe a master in turbocharging... does your tuner have a P car running with all the above?
Maf issue solved? fuel system for a 800 rwhp package? Tuned?
Tuning volvos and audis for 7100 HP gains is far from reinventing the Porsche wheel... sorry, Im not trying to put anyone down... but I have been down this road before... I just hope for your sake that the person you choose to go with can handle all the above issues. It's all peachy til things go wrong... Then you will have to come back to one of the 3 tuners you refered to... thats if they will be willing to finish your car.
I really hope it will work out... I really do.

good luck,
markski

Markski,

The issues and problems described above are really no different then any others found in many other makes and models. In many ways the 996 is an easier car to modify then many others currently on the road.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by drewTT
If you can't do it you can't do it.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
Markski,

The issues and problems described above are really no different then any others found in many other makes and models. In many ways the 996 is an easier car to modify then many others currently on the road.
Hmm if this is true why are there so few tuners? I know a few of the big supra tuners are trying but not have been successful. I am not saying it can not be done or that you have not written a code that has been so elusive; however, I have meet people who have said this before and they did not have a clue. I am hoping what you are saying is true.
GL
Robert

Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
Markski,

I really wish you lots of luck... I really do. Yes a lot parts liek the MAf for example can be crossreferenced with other makes... ist all Bosch. But to put it all together and make it work on a high HP P car can be very demanding- I witnessed it a few times.
My tuner learned from VRalexanders buildout( especially the O rings used on the heads)... then my car's GT3 set up is now implemented into Scott's, Rob MDs and a few others. He actually would do something different to my heads/cams if he knew back then what he knows now. But its a fine learing curve.. and a very expensive one at times. heck, we bought 2 sets of heads and cams ( one thats on my car and the other a GT3 RSR CUP head ) because he needed to see which way to go. I ate the first set the tuner ate the other set. ( It was all used and still affordable). My point was that it takes a lot research and development work to get results... I really wish you the best- I'm all for thinking outside the box.

Markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Those dammmn O rings... from the shuttle to my car! Yes, I agree with you Marek!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by joetwint
I agree totally.It all sounds good on paper ......but go try it out and it ain't that easy once you go over a certain HP level.
This may be a first, I AGREE WITH JOE!!!!
Cheers
Robert

Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
I really wish you lots of luck... I really do. Yes a lot parts liek the MAf for example can be crossreferenced with other makes... ist all Bosch. But to put it all together and make it work on a high HP P car can be very demanding- I witnessed it a few times.
My tuner learned from VRalexanders buildout( especially the O rings used on the heads)... then my car's GT3 set up is now implemented into Scott's, Rob MDs and a few others. He actually would do something different to my heads/cams if he knew back then what he knows now. But its a fine learing curve.. and a very expensive one at times. heck, we bought 2 sets of heads and cams ( one thats on my car and the other a GT3 RSR CUP head ) because he needed to see which way to go. I ate the first set the tuner ate the other set. ( It was all used and still affordable). My point was that it takes a lot research and development work to get results... I really wish you the best- I'm all for thinking outside the box.

Markski

Understood and many good points taken. Consider this. I am a chip tuner that is very versed in custom fuel system design and installation. In the case of highhats car...well, most of what you described above with heads and cams has already been completed by one of the most well respected 996 builders in the industry.

From a mechanical stand point I know enough to know when something isnt right and what needs to be changed to fix it....

From a tuning perspective, well, thats my gig and am very confident that tuning this car is a non issue....at the end of the day, this is far from the first 996 I have tuned.

Last edited by nerdhotrod; 10-23-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Its a custom tune guys! exactly that tuning the car to what already in it. I have a fully built motor and I will tune the car to as strong as I can make it while restraining myself enough to be safe. Hence Custom tune.... You really think the OTS GIAC gt700 software is designed for the 3.8L kit I put in. I don't think so! Don't worry guys I know i'm in good hands. Am I looking for some kind of power record? no! Am I looking for a sweet daily rocket that will eat people up on the road? Absolutely!

S

Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
So how exactly does this tune build boost in the absence of any load on the engine? If it is more than just a throttle-to-the-floor rev limiter set to 6000 rpm, what other tables are modified? I guess significantly retarding the timing would put a lot more heat in the exhaust. That should help spin up the turbos some. What else is there?

And I still haven't seen whether the limiter function is implemented as withheld spark or withheld fuel. Which is it?

Jeff

Old 10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by carendt242
if you hold your pedal at a certain RPM, you *will not* build boost. that's a fact, not just of my narrow focus of reality. what is being discussed is a way to build boost on the line.
So if you properly rev the engine from a standing start you are not capable of getting the car on boost at say 3500 rpm's? That sounds a little preposterous.

I think what you guys are saying is that this little ecu tweak just makes it a hell of a lot easier than actually relying on your gray matter to handle the input.

If that is the case you should have bought a tip. I mean if you are that serious about it. Or have an air shifter installed.

Also, if you set it at XXXX rpm's, does it restrict you to that engine speed in 1st gear all the time?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
So if you properly rev the engine from a standing start you are not capable of getting the car on boost at say 3500 rpm's? That sounds a little preposterous.
It sounds like you are saying that, if I walk out to the garage, start the car, and bring the revs up to 3500, I will see some boost. I don't think so.

If that is not how to properly rev the engine, what is? Floor the throttle and let out the clutch when the tach needle sweeps passed 3500? I'm not sure you'll get much boost doing that, either.

Or are you saying that, once underway, we should see boost at 3500? That is quite normal behavior, and has nothing to do with a launch control.

Jeff

Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned
pistonia is infamous around these parts

I think what you guys are saying is that this little ecu tweak just makes it a hell of a lot easier than actually relying on your gray matter to handle the input.

If that is the case you should have bought a tip. I mean if you are that serious about it. Or have an air shifter installed.

Also, if you set it at XXXX rpm's, does it restrict you to that engine speed in 1st gear all the time?
A little ECU tweak? The last time I checked besides the fact the Bosch ECU's are encrypted, and only a handful of maps are accessible the rest need to be deciphered with proper algorithms.

Then again judging by your interpretation of a two step I can safely say you don't have much experience with turbo cars atleast in drag racing. Let alone you made the assumption if you bring the rpm's to 3500 that you'd have boost with absolutely no load which I think is rather humorous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)