996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
From a tuning perspective, well, thats my gig and am very confident that tuning this car is a non issue....at the end of the day, this is far from the first 996 I have tuned.
that sounds good. It appeared to me that you hardly had any experience in P car tuning and just crossing over from Audis and Volvos....
I am just sharing my experience after bouncing between 3 tuners till I got one that can do what I wanted him to do.
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Are you drag racing in your garage? Didn't think so.

I am dumbfounded to hear that the turbos don't spool and boost until the car revs past 3500.

That is a very sucky compromise IMO. That can't be right.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned
pistonia is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 05997S

I am dumbfounded to hear that the turbos don't spool and boost until the car revs past 3500.

That is a very sucky compromise IMO. That can't be right.
The car needs to be under load in order to boost typically. Obviously you're over your head in this conversation. Under load the turbos spool rather quickly, however if there is no load, once again, typically, they will not build boost.

If you have access to a turbo car with a boost gauge, sit in it, start it up, rev it up, you'll see that the boost will probably go to 1psi-3psi and then drop. Then try to press the pedal with more force you'll see that it builds a little bit more boost, however recedes, now try to apply that same pressure and hold the rpm at a certain level, it will have no boost.

Last edited by pistonia; 10-23-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
What is the difference between bringing the revs to 3500 in the garage versus bringing them to 3500 at the drag strip starting line? I don't think you'll see boost at either location.

What you may not be seeing is that we generally need some load on the engine to make boost. You may be able to create some boost under unloaded conditions (free reving in the garage or the on starting line) by retarding the timing to the point that some of the combustion occurs in the headers. That should move combustion heat closer to the turbos.

Jeff

Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I don't understand how this would be beneficial if the driver can't control it on the spot at the track............what happens after the second round at the track and the sun is out and now the track is hot so the 4200 rpm launch is now bogging.........do i need to have my tuner at the track with me or can i change it myself?....If yes then this would be the ticket to some quick E.t.'s

Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
In for the next vid!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Obviously I am over my head. Oh brother.

So if you sit at the start line, time the tree and simultaneously apply gas, feather the clutch and pull away the car will not boost until its past 3500? If that is true your car is a flaming POS.

I don't see any point in being able to hold the car at lets say 4500r's and dumping the clutch and properly launching the car by simply revving it while simultaneously releasing the clutch. Its the exact same thing barring the fact that the latter requires talent.

Like I said, sounds like you guys should have gotten a tip.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Mbn
Mbn is infamous around these parts
Obviously I am over my head. Oh brother.

So if you sit at the start line, time the tree and simultaneously apply gas, feather the clutch and pull away the car will not boost until its past 3500? If that is true your car is a flaming POS.

I don't see any point in being able to hold the car at lets say 4500r's and dumping the clutch and properly launching the car by simply revving it while simultaneously releasing the clutch. Its the exact same thing barring the fact that the latter requires talent.

Like I said, sounds like you guys should have gotten a tip.
you should listen to the guys man.

i rev my tt viper to redline with no boost or maybe 1psi max but my boost gauge reads over 10pis on low boost settings when its underload

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
So if you properly rev the engine from a standing start you are not capable of getting the car on boost at say 3500 rpm's? That sounds a little preposterous.
i am beginning to feel embarassed for you. please buy a car w/ a turbo before making such silly statement.

and please refrain from posting in what has been a very interesting thread.

- chuck

Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
So how exactly does this tune build boost in the absence of any load on the engine? If it is more than just a throttle-to-the-floor rev limiter set to 6000 rpm, what other tables are modified? I guess significantly retarding the timing would put a lot more heat in the exhaust. That should help spin up the turbos some. What else is there?

Jeff
the basic idea (and i'm sure there are variations on the idea) - limit spark, dump fuel, then BAM... the excess fuel will create explosions (heat) that help build boost.

- chuck

Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Banned
pistonia is infamous around these parts
Obviously I am over my head.
Thanks. Glad you understand.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:39 AM
AudiRS is infamous around these parts
what happens guys, is that ignition timing is severly retarded which causes the combusion not to happen in the cylinders but in the turbine housing. Also A/Fs become very rich, so by not burning the mixture in the cylinder and dumping extra fuel, well that mixture when it touches the HOT turbos ignites and makes the turbos spin.. Hence they create boost when the car is under no physical load.
A small example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHo8Hfn-8mA

Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Wow this is very interesting and cool feature! Susman is the EPL lab the same as the one in AW mostly tuning Audi cars?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by S4corrado996TT
Wow this is very interesting and cool feature! Susman is the EPL lab the same as the one in AW mostly tuning Audi cars?

The one and the only Tony Chick. You got it! He tuned my K04 cars flawlessly.

S

Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiRS
what happens guys, is that ignition timing is severly retarded which causes the combusion not to happen in the cylinders but in the turbine housing. Also A/Fs become very rich, so by not burning the mixture in the cylinder and dumping extra fuel, well that mixture when it touches the HOT turbos ignites and makes the turbos spin.. Hence they create boost when the car is under no physical load.
A small example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHo8Hfn-8mA
Ding Ding we have a winner. My Supra would make over 28psi in less than 1.5 second with every moving an inch, the second it saw wheel speed increase great than Zero this feature turns off and the car operates normally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)