996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AudiRS
what happens guys, is that ignition timing is severly retarded which causes the combusion not to happen in the cylinders but in the turbine housing. Also A/Fs become very rich, so by not burning the mixture in the cylinder and dumping extra fuel, well that mixture when it touches the HOT turbos ignites and makes the turbos spin.. Hence they create boost when the car is under no physical load.
A small example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHo8Hfn-8mA
There is a significant difference between a two-step which is simply a lower artificial rev-limit imposed from vehicle speed 0 mph and anti-lag which is what you are describing above. Anti-lag involves dumping fuel and severely retarding timing whereas a two-step has no such retard involved.

For instance, my Turbo M3 has a 2-step where from vehicle speed 0mph the AEM is set to hold the rpms to 4k (the actual rev-limit is 7200rpms). I can build some boost, but very little: maybe 2-3psi on a GT35R. If I were to use anti-lag I have no doubt I would achieve my full 20psi.

FWIW, Anti-Lag is very hard on both your exhaust manifold and turbos.

Most of you guys know the above information, I just thought I would chime in and differentiate the two forms of "launch control".

Old 10-24-2007, 05:31 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by onelove
Ding Ding we have a winner. My Supra would make over 28psi in less than 1.5 second with every moving an inch, the second it saw wheel speed increase great than Zero this feature turns off and the car operates normally.
I noticed that you have a Protomotive tuned P car. Then I can only assume that you understand the complexity of tuning a DME from the P cars. If this was so easy the Titan would be doing this instead of inquiring from Todd K ?? I think it would be great to have Titan/Supra tuners work with Todd! Then P cars could have Supra type performance?
GL
Robert

Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
I noticed that you have a Protomotive tuned P car. Then I can only assume that you understand the complexity of tuning a DME from the P cars. If this was so easy the Titan would be doing this instead of inquiring from Todd K ?? I think it would be great to have Titan/Supra tuners work with Todd! Then P cars could have Supra type performance?
GL
Robert
My car does have a Proto tune, Nero is already working with Todd. Now that race season is about over it won't be long until we get more in depth with this 996 program. There are definitely some improvements that can be made with the current offerings out there, just a matter of having the time to address them one at a time.

Titan isn't just a Supra tuner, but also one of the largest Warehouse Distributors of performance parts in the US, so the availability of many parts, along with the pricing of those same parts and "performance packages" can go down quite a bit and will. Todd has helped quite a bit getting our feet wet with the turbo, and will continue too, I'm anxious to see where we go from here. (Titan is in the process of becoming a board sponsor as well).

Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned
pistonia is infamous around these parts
I think the only downfall of Protomotive is that Todd can only program the ECU with eeProm's opposed to just accessing the ECU through a GUI interface in real time.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pistonia
I think the only downfall of Protomotive is that Todd can only program the ECU with eeProm's opposed to just accessing the ECU through a GUI interface in real time.
So who can do it via GUI in real time? trust me that Todd is one of the smartest if not the smartest P car programmers utilizing the stock ECU... If you don't believe me look into my buildout and you will find out how hard it was to get the GT3 race heads with GT3 cams to work on my car.. it even runs GT3 code. He had the Maf problem solved while other tuners were just doing a band aid fix... 4 years ago. Then to make things even more complicated he spent 2 months on figuring out the code so he can write back the PSM ABS into the GT3 code... That is smart my friend. He is a one man show without big dollar investments. All Brains. If there is a downfall of Protomotive it;s not in the programming department... trust me I know.

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Great VDO of a 3K rev limiter...Where's the beef... If you gunna show how well this launches from the dig....launch on VDO.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
So who can do it via GUI in real time? trust me that Todd is one of the smartest if not the smartest P car programmers utilizing the stock ECU... If you don't believe me look into my buildout and you will find out how hard it was to get the GT3 race heads with GT3 cams to work on my car.. it even runs GT3 code. He had the Maf problem solved while other tuners were just doing a band aid fix... 4 years ago. Then to make things even more complicated he spent 2 months on figuring out the code so he can write back the PSM ABS into the GT3 code... That is smart my friend. He is a one man show without big dollar investments. All Brains. If there is a downfall of Protomotive it;s not in the programming department... trust me I know.

markski
Agree completely!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Agree completely!

May not have much in experience with the 996 ECU, but the above picture is how we spend our weekends. 6.48@219 1/4, Factory head and block 3.0L , anyone else get lost in the picture ?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
So who can do it via GUI in real time? trust me that Todd is one of the smartest if not the smartest P car programmers utilizing the stock ECU... If you don't believe me look into my buildout and you will find out how hard it was to get the GT3 race heads with GT3 cams to work on my car.. it even runs GT3 code. He had the Maf problem solved while other tuners were just doing a band aid fix... 4 years ago. Then to make things even more complicated he spent 2 months on figuring out the code so he can write back the PSM ABS into the GT3 code... That is smart my friend. He is a one man show without big dollar investments. All Brains. If there is a downfall of Protomotive it's not in the programming department... trust me I know.

markski

Im pretty sure every tuner in the world can tune via GUI... I know my tuner EPL def tunes real time... Not dissing Todd's Smarts but pretty much every tuner tunes right on the spot with a backend system. Its actually the first that im hearing that Todd does not tune his cars in real time and its on a flash and repeat basis. Marc and Rob is this true?

S

Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Highhats
Im pretty sure every tuner in the world can tune via GUI... I know my tuner EPL def tunes real time... Not dissing Todd's Smarts but pretty much every tuner tunes right on the spot with a backend system. Its actually the first that im hearing that Todd does tune his cars in real time and its on a flash and repeat basis. Marc and Rob is this true?

S
Not every tuner does it via a GUI interface. Although I know for a fact Protomotive tunes via an eePROM chip, having to crack open the ECU each time and replacing the chip.

Tony for example at EPL tunes real time via a GUI interface tuning real time.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Not every tuner does it via a GUI interface. Although I know for a fact Protomotive tunes via an eePROM chip, having to crack open the ECU each time and replacing the chip.

Tony for example at EPL tunes real time via a GUI interface tuning real time.

Really! I figured Garrett Lim himself uses an Interface to tune. I mean he does tune on a dyno I doubt he flashes chip after chip....?!?!?! anyone with this info please chime in...

S

Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Highhats
Really! I figured Garrett Lim himself uses an Interface to tune. I mean he does tune on a dyno I doubt he flashes chip after chip....?!?!?! anyone with this info please chime in...

S
Garrett Lim tunes via a gui interface as well I believe.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Garrett Lim tunes via a gui interface as well I believe.

You are correct.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I tune via telepathy.. Now who can say that?!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Powell
I tune via telepathy.. Now who can say that?!

Bluetooth here... Picture to prove it =).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)