996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)

Ok guys! So finally out of the woodwork comes some new talent in the custom tuning world. Here is a little teaser video of what a smart brain and the Bosch ME7.8 can do! Attached is the link to factory "2 step" launch control for any of you drag racing nuts out there. This is the beginning of a new era! EPLabs.net will tune my porsche and has already tuned all my high HP Audis. ENJOY!
http://www.eplabs.net/pub/996launch.MOV

When we are dealing with major HP it is not practical to have an OTS(off the shelf) program. I feel a custom tune is the way to go to precisely dial in all modifications.

S

Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Berry Berry Interesting!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
I guess I am missing the point. How is this different from a factory rev limiter when the car isnt in gear. Many cars have a lowered red line so the car cannot be overreved out while the car is stationary. Also, I dont think I would like the revs bouncing around like that at the drag strip. I guess I would just prefer to do it my self. At the end of the day, it is still dependent on clutch control. Good luck with the tuning though, looking forward to the results.....

Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I am very interested in this!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
hey guys this might help explain it to you better! thanks

S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_control_(automotive)

Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Suman, I understand launch control. Is this rpm control or launch control? LC is a very comples process involving much more than just rpm. It is usually working in concert with clutch modulation, throttle control, igniton, timing, etc to seamlessly provide the optimum launch for any given grip level. Is this going to do that ?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Suman, I understand launch control. Is this rpm control or launch control? LC is a very comples process involving much more than just rpm. It is usually working in concert with clutch modulation, throttle control, igniton, timing, etc to seamlessly provide the optimum launch for any given grip level. Is this going to do that ?

I think your thinking of elements of traction control. This is strictly to find your sweet spot at the line to dial in a launching RPM which helps out cars with larger turbos. You will be fully flooring the car when slipping the clutch.

S

Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by Highhats
I think your thinking of elements of traction control. This is strictly to find your sweet spot at the line to dial in a launching RPM which helps out cars with larger turbos. You will be fully flooring the car when slipping the clutch.

S
Good luck with the project....

Old 10-22-2007, 01:25 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
I'm also thinking that this sounds more like the normal drag racing 2 step rev limiter rather than Veyron-style launch control. The first limiter step is set for the revs you want to hold waiting for the tree to count down, the second step is the normal, don't blow the engine rev limiter.

I'm hoping it works by withholding fuel rather than spark. I've never liked the idea of squirting a WOT-load of fuel into the cylinder knowing ahead of time that you don't plan to ignite it with the spark plug. I know the intellegent spark-based limiters vary the sparkless cylinders, but all that unburned fuel on the cylinder walls and in the exhaust system can't be a good thing.

Jeff

Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The point of this is to take off the line with boost so you dont bog down. 2 step is just that. I have an Evo8 with 2 step and I can build 20 psi at the light. The idea is to take off the line with boost( especially with big turbos). Can you build boost with with this set up? if so can you show it to us... Otherwise you seem to be doing some sort of RPM control as KPG stated... My car already did 1.6s 60 fts. with gt35rs an no launch control of any sort. I dont want to brake anymore axles... and I have a feeling guys will if on stock axles...
Hope it works out for you guys...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-22-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:07 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
more competent tuners are *always* welcome.

- chuck

Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
Ok guys! So finally out of the woodwork comes some new talent in the custom tuning world. Here is a little teaser video of what a smart brain and the Bosch ME7.8 can do! Attached is the link to factory "2 step" launch control for any of you drag racing nuts out there. This is the beginning of a new era! EPLabs.net will tune my porsche and has already tuned all my high HP Audis. ENJOY!
http://www.eplabs.net/pub/996launch.MOV

When we are dealing with major HP it is not practical to have an OTS(off the shelf) program. I feel a custom tune is the way to go to precisely dial in all modifications.

S
Nice, do you know how that is done meaning is it written in the software or is there some sort of piggyback device in which the driver has the ability of changing launch rpm every 100 rpm or so.The driver will need to have the ability to adjust on his own for different temps and track conditions if it is written in the software it is useless for drag racing.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
UrineMachine is infamous around these parts
There was a guy who posted something like this a few weeks ago - does anyone know of that link?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 AM
AudiRS is infamous around these parts
very impressive if it holds boost.. if not it's useless basically

Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 AM
$w!ft is infamous around these parts
So is this a launch control that keeps the turbos spooling or just RPM launch control?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A New Age in Tuning!- Factory Launch Control (video inside)