996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the BEST wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Zippy
The HRE's are a sweet looking wheel. I like several of there offerings. I am nervous about the strength of that 5" lip. When I first say pictures of Duane's car, I fell in love with the Techart Formula's. They look very strong, but I'ver recently wondered if they offer any weight saving over stock. Having a set of strong/light wheels for track and bling for the street is becoming more of an option... but I would not like the preocessing of swapping.
HRE's shown have 2" front lip and 4" rear lip, although you can have any lip size you desire. I ultimately chose the Techarts because I was afraid the large lip wheels offered by HRE would bend with the awful Chicago roads. With 19's, you will rarely find that you save weight over the stock 18's. If you want light and bling, you can always go with HRE 18's with 295 series rears so as not to have the rubberband sidewall of the 19's....another option is to get the HRE 19's and don't get 315's in back but get 295's. The sportecs are forged, light, and very strong, are my first choice as pictured, but, sportec only offers three finishes for the turbo and the ones pictured isn't one of them. Gun Metal finish, chrome silver, or polish. Wish they came as pictured, I would have gotten them for sure.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:06 PM
YSITSMN is infamous around these parts
What are the prices on the Sportec or the Techart???

Old 05-18-2004, 03:13 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by YSITSMN
What are the prices on the Sportec or the Techart???
Techarts are on national backorder, sportecs if you buy from Arling at Lucent are like $4500 I think, but, I would verify with him.

Lou

Old 05-18-2004, 03:35 PM
bigsky is infamous around these parts
I have a set of HRE 540R wheels. I have the stock wheels with MPSC tires for the track. I have been happy with the HRE's and prefer the look over stock. I don't have many miles on them to tell you about strength. As far as weight, they are the same as the stock hollow spoke wheels. I think the Fikse are lighter. If you have any interset in a set of slightly used 18inch 540R's with stock Conti tires, let me know.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Crash is infamous around these parts
The sportec MONO 10 superlight cast wheels in sizes 8,5" F and 11" R weigh 9,5 and 11,5 kg respectively, while the MONO 10 ultralight forged wheels in the same sizes weigh 8,5 kg F and 9,6 kg R. The wheels, shown on the Turbo are cast and don´t have a lip, while the forged version is the one shown on the GT2 on the Sportec website. I´d say the wheels are very light for their 19-inch diameter. They are also designed for high-speed use on the Autobahn, so they´re pretty damn strong. As far as finish is concerned, I believe that they CAN be had in the form shown on the Turbo.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:13 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Fikse or Kinesis. Fikse are a tad lighter but they are both very strong. Fikse cost much more, kinesis offers more finish options like painting and anodizing wheel centers...I have been very happy with my K58's in 18"

Old 05-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
With the criteria you have listed... I would consider BBS, Fikse, or Kinesis (not in any specif order). I would not want the reverse lip wheels as they tend to be heavier and not as strong as the standard lip. My personal choice would be Kinesis... I like them on my street cars as well as on my track cars.

Kinesis K28's on my old C2. They were just as light as the Technology Hollow Spoke wheels I took off.

Kinesis K28's on the 951 track car. These have been in service for 4 years now and we have never had a problem.

No picture for the K20's on the 911 track car

Old 05-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
What about the Champion 19 inch wheels. I saw somewhere that these wheels were only 18 pounds. Can anyone confirm that as that would seem to be very low for a 19 inch wheel.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
The Kinesis K110 is a killer new lightweight wheel.

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Peter at WheelExperts.com needs to chime in on this one.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:24 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
Fikse or Kinesis. Fikse are a tad lighter but they are both very strong. Fikse cost much more, kinesis offers more finish options like painting and anodizing wheel centers...I have been very happy with my K58's in 18"

FWIW...I did not find that Fikse's were any more money than Kinesis. I seem to recall that they are about the same. Also, you can most certainly get the Fikse's in black anodized centers...I did.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That new singel piece wheel is great but it only comes in 19 inches That rules it out as a race wheel, right there...

Old 05-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I prefer the stepped lip over the reverse lip. Looks much racier. Fuller.

BBS LMs are the best looking wheels ever made. There is no substitute.

But other viable options to me are the Fikse FM-10s and the Kinesis K-28s. That Porsche race car looks incredible with the K28s!

Old 05-19-2004, 01:40 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Crash
The sportec MONO 10 superlight cast wheels in sizes 8,5" F and 11" R weigh 9,5 and 11,5 kg respectively, while the MONO 10 ultralight forged wheels in the same sizes weigh 8,5 kg F and 9,6 kg R. The wheels, shown on the Turbo are cast and don´t have a lip, while the forged version is the one shown on the GT2 on the Sportec website. I´d say the wheels are very light for their 19-inch diameter. They are also designed for high-speed use on the Autobahn, so they´re pretty damn strong. As far as finish is concerned, I believe that they CAN be had in the form shown on the Turbo.
You cannot get the wheels with the standard silver finish. I tried and they only have the aformentioned finishes for the turbo. They also do have a slightly lip, about 1-1.5 inches on the rear wheel and was told they were forged lightweight wheels.

Lou

Old 05-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LSM
You cannot get the wheels with the standard silver finish. I tried and they only have the aformentioned finishes for the turbo. They also do have a slightly lip, about 1-1.5 inches on the rear wheel and was told they were forged lightweight wheels.

Lou
I got the information from Sportec Japan. I'm positive that the 1-inch lip wheels are cast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the BEST wheels?