996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the BEST wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Doug H
Okay, I did not get a response. What about these Speedlines at 18 pounds evenf or the 11X19s. That seems awefully light and they are good looking wheels. What is wrong these wheels and whjy no mention of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...478903874&rd=1
those are the champion PG5 3pc, they used to be branded as speedlines and some still call them by that name. I didnt recommend them because they were 19s as stated in my prev post.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 05-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Benjamin Choi
pls... HREs bend ALL the time. esp on a heavy car like the 996 turbo

fikse or kinesis... BBS rules.
996 turbo is considered a heavy car? compared to what?

BBS only makes one application for a 996 turbo, the 18x8 and 11 LM. That is a good wheel but the step lip is susceptible to bending just like everyone else's.

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

Old 05-20-2004, 12:02 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by lee2375

BBS only makes one application for a 996 turbo, the 18x8 and 11 LM. That is a good wheel but the step lip is susceptible to bending just like everyone else's.
Peter,

Is the step lip stronger? That's the perception at least.

Lou

Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally posted by LSM
Peter,

Is the step lip stronger? That's the perception at least.

Lou
nope - why would anyone think that?

the reverse lips are double rolled onto inself at edge, making them like a 4ply of material. The step is like one ply.

HRE's new competition series will incorporate this feature to make a new stronger step lip.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:12 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
nope - why would anyone think that?

the reverse lips are double rolled onto inself at edge, making them like a 4ply of material. The step is like one ply.

HRE's new competition series will incorporate this feature to make a new stronger step lip.

I dunno, just what everyone kept telling me. Coupled with the fact that all the race wheels are step lip, I thought they were stronger, especially since instead of having one 4" lip exposed, it is stepped leaving less area to damage?

Lou

Old 05-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
race wheels are not subject to potholes and such - tracks are usually fairly smooth.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts

too bad no 19s.... BBS LMs... far better designed... stronger than any HRE 18s.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 05-20-2004 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:49 AM
LSM
race wheels are not subject to potholes and such - tracks are usually fairly smooth.
That's obvious, but, if there was no advantage why wouldn't they just use the reverse lip design? How could the step lip not be stronger? I hear of people bending their HRE lip all the time, never heard it about BBS. You post "how is HRE's lip strenght" and you get "bends" You post how is BBS's lip strenght and you never hear of bending. Not trying to provoke you, I am just wondering.

Lou

Old 05-20-2004, 02:39 AM
Curves4S is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by greyghost
The Kinesis K110 is a killer new lightweight wheel.

Good God that is the best looking wheel Kinesis has made.

Hey Peter or Arling,

How much??

Old 05-20-2004, 03:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
step lip is lighter thats why they use in racing

Curves, I will send you a PM

Old 05-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally posted by Benjamin Choi
too bad no 19s.... BBS LMs....
we have been telling BBS for years to make that wheel in 19" for the widebodies - lord knows how many we could sell. really is a shame

Old 05-20-2004, 04:32 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
ALL multi-piece wheels with aluminum rim halves will bend if a pothole is hit with enough force - esp on Porsches with 19 " wheels where you only have 3" of sidewall since the 996 tire diameter is only 25 " , vs 26-27" on Ferraris, etc. Notice Porsche went to 26.2 " tire diameter on the 997 ( with shorter gearing to compensate for the taller tire ) to allow factory 19" fitment.
When multi-piece wheel makers talk about strength , they are referring to the central forged or cast spider only. Rims are not a track issue usually.
On the road, 1 piece wheels will resist potholes better at the same diameter.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:29 PM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
Kinesis F110 is the lightest 19s out there I believe and I also heard they are made in Japan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:45 PM
LSM
Originally posted by HKE46Boy
Kinesis F110 is the lightest 19s out there I believe and I also heard they are made in Japan, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought Championmotorsport made them for Kinesis??

Old 05-20-2004, 01:46 PM
LSM
step lip is lighter thats why they use in racing

Curves, I will send you a PM
Got it, but, why are they lighter? Smaller Center for same size wheel??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the BEST wheels?