996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the BEST wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
What are the BEST wheels?

I'm interested in learning more about wheels. I originally thought HRE's were the best, because I think they look the best. I am now thinking that strenght and light-weight are actually more important. I get to the track a few times each summer and get on the curbs a little in some of the corners, so strength must be a consideration.

In light of my personal ranking of importantance of:

1) Strength
2) Light weight
3) Bling

What would be the best 18" wheel for me?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I like my Kinesis K18Rs, which are strong, light and used on many race cars and I think they look bling enough too...

Old 05-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Come on! Some one has to have an opinion here. Some of you 70 'guest' currently viewing the forum should register and give me your opinion on this!

Old 05-18-2004, 12:51 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
oh and because they are reverse drop centers everyone _thinks_ they are 19s since they use the centers from a 19 inch wheel and they clear my silly brakes.

john stephanus is infamous around these parts
I have Fikse Profil 10's and am happy with them...very light for an aluminum wheel.

Sharkey - those are very attractive looking wheels. I've started to find the bling in functional equipment. How much do those weight vs stock?

Old 05-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
oh and because they are reverse drop centers everyone _thinks_ they are 19s since they use the centers from a 19 inch wheel and they clear my silly brakes.
I was thinking they looked like 19's but didn't think you'd be passing up performance for looks.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by john stephanus
I have Fikse Profil 10's and am happy with them...very light for an aluminum wheel.
John - the Fikse Profil 10's are also a very good looking wheel. The remind me a lot of the BBS LM's. I've included a picture of your wheel below. How do Fikse compair to BBS?

BBS LM's

Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Zippy
Sharkey - those are very attractive looking wheels. I've started to find the bling in functional equipment. How much do those weight vs stock?
I'm trying to remember so I could be a pound or so off here... but the fronts are 20 and the rears 23. I'm sure Jack LA can confirm that versus the stockers. I know that I had the 'ol solid spokes which were even heavier....

Old 05-18-2004, 01:07 PM
I was thinking they looked like 19's but didn't think you'd be passing up performance for looks.
Heheh no way would I go with 19 inch rubber band sidewalls I'm sticking to 18s...

If a lot of race cars are using them (I keep on seeing Porsches with them) they can't be half-bad Even Tyson said they are ok hehe... For the price they are a great buy. If you want to go full-on then the BBS magnesium wheels are probably the way to go. They are a few pounds lighter still.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:39 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I've got the BBS LM 19's with 20" centers on my e55...like them alot...supposed to be very strong and reasonably light weight (??)
If I could figure out how to reduce the file size of the photos I would post

Old 05-18-2004, 02:10 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
John - the Fikse Profil 10's are also a very good looking wheel. The remind me a lot of the BBS LM's. I've included a picture of your wheel below. How do Fikse compair to BBS?

BBS LM's

Mike
Compare in what regard...weight? I cannot actually answer. The BBS wheels that are talked about often here (and are wonderful) are magnesium. It is very light but not at all durable. I believe the Fikse's are the lightest aluminum wheel.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by john stephanus
Compare in what regard...weight? I cannot actually answer. The BBS wheels that are talked about often here (and are wonderful) are magnesium. It is very light but not at all durable. I believe the Fikse's are the lightest aluminum wheel.
Thanks John. You answered my question: weight / strength / durability.

Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 02:18 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Mike
I like both the Fikse and BBS, but, I do not like the step lip. They are stronger, but, I prefer the look of the reverse drop lip without the step. Below are some pics of wheels, there was a post a while back, but, here you go...................

HRE 542R

HRE 543R

TECHART FORMULA

SPORTEC

[IMG]
http://supercarsite.net/images/cars/...o_sp650_03.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by LSM; 05-18-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:28 PM
The HRE's are a sweet looking wheel. I like several of there offerings. I am nervous about the strength of that 5" lip. When I first say pictures of Duane's car, I fell in love with the Techart Formula's. They look very strong, but I'ver recently wondered if they offer any weight saving over stock. Having a set of strong/light wheels for track and bling for the street is becoming more of an option... but I would not like the preocessing of swapping.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the BEST wheels?