996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SUV choice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 01:16 AM
steveb is infamous around these parts
SUV choice

I know this is off-topic, but I wanted to put this in the TT board. I am going to get another SUV as a partial daily driver (I still will drive my TT some days--sunny weather permitting). I am just about to pull the trigger on a Range Rover. I have looked at everything, including the Cayenne, except the X5 4.8 (which I may look at this weekend).

Does anybody have any personal experience or strong opinions re the Range Rover (the new one with the BMW engine etc.)?

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:20 AM
trueloans is infamous around these parts
Range Rover if you do ANYTHING that resembles off-road..otherwise stick with the BMW or something similar. Range is a great choice..resale on any of them SUCKS!! X5 would be the choice if it is more of an Urban Assault Vehicle, have to change tires though if you use or have use for it in the snow.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:22 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Love it!! My dad has one here and it is amazing. I had a 2000 4.6 and always thought it was underpowered...Although for the price of the new one, I do not uinderstand why BMW put the 4.4 instead of the 4.6 or 4.8 engine, it is still much better than the old one. The ride is comfortable and the ergonomics are great.
However, rumor has it the Range will be facelifted soon once it gets the Jag engines including the supercharged V8 from the XKR...If you are in no rush I'd wait....

Old 05-19-2004, 01:34 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
do a search. i asked this question a while back and there was a 2 to 3 page thread on it.

in addition, check out the cadillac escalade. more reliable car (its a gmc) and everything comes in it...also its Tony Soprano's car of choice!

Old 05-19-2004, 03:07 AM
msindi, is my understanding correct that 05 is the last year in the RR for BMW engines?

Old 05-19-2004, 03:13 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Range all the way. The resale issue is not true at all on the 03 and up models. I had a black 03, paid 69,995, put 16k miles on it in a year and a half, and sold it for 61k. Bought an 04 in silver.

As far as an american suv goes, you've got to be kidding me?

Old 05-19-2004, 03:19 AM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
Owned two Lexus LX-470s... and I'd recommend them. In addition to an outstanding product; Lexus service is second to none.

If I were to rate Lexus service... it would be a 10... if I were to rate Porsche service... it would be a 2

JW

Old 05-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Range Rover is the most thuggin', classy SUV out there today. Buy one while it's still powered by BMW. White with some 22" Momo wheels --> game over.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:45 AM
Have an LX470 which is a great dependable, but boring, car, which i am giving to my son. Resale on Ranges is very strong, based on my research. New and used ones are moving off the lot very quickly. Some HRE 8 series wheels would look awesome on a Range!

Old 05-19-2004, 04:53 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Joe West
Owned two Lexus LX-470s... and I'd recommend them. In addition to an outstanding product; Lexus service is second to none.

If I were to rate Lexus service... it would be a 10... if I were to rate Porsche service... it would be a 2

JW
I agree w/ Joe

Old 05-19-2004, 05:04 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
I absolutely LOVE my VW Touareg. It corners super flat, is faster than most of those mentioned and has every convenience and comfort option you could want in a vehicle. I love driving it, and I pretty much hate anything thats not a race car. The v10 diesel is sick, and with a chip can me made to put out over 900ft/lbs of torque. amazing...

do not write it off just because of the name or emblem. They did theor homework on this one....

dave w

Old 05-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Banned
deeroff is infamous around these parts
OK -- My $0.02-

I have had a BMW X5 4.8is for a week now and have put a few hundred miles on the clock and all I can say is -- WOW.

I own (and have owned) a great many cars and quite frankly, this car has the complete package.

First are the "in-person" looks. It is great looking in and out. In fact, My 2004 Range Rover Westminister and the 4.8is share many interior features and bits -- and the Rover has the BEST interior going (IMO). The switches are firm, the ergonomics fantastic and the drivng position "just right." The fit and finish are fantastic and the antracite wood is really nice (I worried it would look fake). I actually like the rims - maybe they look better on a black car.

The running gear also exceeds my expectations. The exhaust burble is very nice (Tho I may go just a touch louder). The off the line acceleration - courtesy of the torque - is neck snapping and the rolling acceleration is also impressive (not as impressive as my TT Cab, Shelby or Ducati but it pulls throughout the rev range quite well.

The gearbox knows what to do. By that I mean it kicks down quickly but also is much smoother that the old 4.6 variant when just running around.

Handling is sharp, turn-in is quick, and there is little body roll. Steering is dead-on with no hunting (despite the massive rubber).

The suspension, while tight, is also compliant and soaks up the bumps quite well. I did a little hill climbing the other day and it handled the terrain well -- the adjustable suspension was a plus, as was the hill descent feature.

Compared to the Rover, there is much less interior room. And I was disappointed that there are no rails to hold a few bikes in the cargo area such as the X3 has.

The Pano Roof is AMAZING. I love it -- Makes it feel like my old Porsche Targa (well, almost)

The Nav system is OK (the next generation of the one in the Rover, which is no user friendly) and the stereo pretty good. Not as good as in the Rover, but much, much better than in my Porsche.

I ordered and drove the Cayenne TT (and two of my colleagues have them) and must say I made the right choice by deciding not to get it. Beside looks (the Cayenne looks like a Baboon's Butt to me), the 4.8is is its near equal in handling and ride albeit a tad slower in acceleration -- but with NO turbo Lag!!!

Gas mileage is about 14 MPG - oh well.

All in all it is a true decathalete - maybe not the best in any one category, but surely the best all around vehicle.

I do LOVE the Rover, but it is not a Driver's Car. It is a luxury Car that performs much better than a 6,000 pound car should. It is my "family" car and works quite well for that purpose

Old 05-19-2004, 07:38 AM
topspn is infamous around these parts
I haven't heard anyone mention the '04 Navigator. I'm in the same situation, giving my Landcruiser to my son and looking for something either more comfortable or more interesting than another Landcruiser. Thoughts?

Old 05-19-2004, 07:59 AM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
I'm hoping higher gas prices will see less SUVs on our roads... $3 a gallon premium soon - yippie

Old 05-19-2004, 08:10 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Cayenne

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SUV choice