996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To those who consider themselves car washing experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:33 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by steve c
Stay away from Zymol, it is overpriced crap that fades away within a month.

Of all the waxes I have tested Zaino is the best compromise.
yea, Zymol's products scored horribly in the wax test

Old 05-20-2004, 05:15 AM
kebleLL is infamous around these parts
how often do you wax ur car?

Old 05-20-2004, 05:26 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
how often do you wax ur car?
1. When water doesn't properly bead up when rinsing after washing the car.

2. When the mood stikes me if #1 isn't an issue.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:49 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
I wash every Saturday and have gotten in the habbit of using RejeX at least once a month because it is so easy (whole car including wheels in under 30 minutes). I need to thoroughly clean my car since I have no clue what crap they used on it at the dealership before I took delivery.

I agree with Eric... if you're going to use a carnuba... P21S is the best for the money. Microfiber cloths are the best invention since wax... get a ton of them and use them for just about everything. Also get a California duster for during the week if you have a daily driver and avoid washing your windows in between full washings because they may scratch.

Experiment because everyone has their own preferences but there are plenty of sample packs out there to choose from.

Above all else... POST PHOTOS!!!

Last edited by Greyghost; 05-20-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 AM
AndyWoo is infamous around these parts
What have people used to prevent 'water spots' ? I've seen/heard this Mr. Cleans 'washing' kit, which pipes water from a hose into this unit, which passes water through some kind of built-in-the-handle-system so that the washing prevents water from drying into hard-water spots.

Anyone have other 'tricks' or systems or ways they 'wash' their car and then minimize possible water spots because you couldn't get to drying it 'fast' enough, before it naturally dried ?

How often is 'too' often for waxing ? If you wax it too often, won't a 'wax build up' happen and end up looking not as 'wet or deep' looking ?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-20-2004, 08:47 AM
JClark is infamous around these parts
wash your car when its cool (not in the sun). when rinsing, take off the hose nozzle, hold the hose close to the car and "run" the water off the car in sheets, that way half of it is dried for you (the theory behind Mr. Clean AutoDry), then dry off the car with whatever you use.

Anyone ever tried Diamond Luster wax? I just got my bottle in the mail after buying it based on a recommendation from a friend. I havnt had time to experiment with it fully, maybe tomorrow. I would be interested in hearing someone else's results.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:51 AM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
www.carcareonline.com Larry is the best

Old 05-20-2004, 12:33 PM
NJPete996TT is infamous around these parts
In terms of products, i have a ton, but what i use most often includes:

For Exterior:
Pinacle bodywork shampoo - It produces enough suds yet doesnt seem to be as astringent as some of the others i have tried.

Pinacle Poly Clay - Easiest clay i have tried to date to work with. I will typically use a "cheaper" quick wax, like mothers with this clay.

P21S Gel wheel cleaner - Simply the best there is around.

P21s Total Auto Wash - for inside wheel wells.

Pinacle Paint Cleansing Lotion - If i clay i will typically polish as well.

Klasse AIO and SG &
Pinacle Souveran - Its a long and drawn out process but using these products in conjunction with one another provides longer lasting protection, with minimal loss in depth and luster of shine. Basically after the Pinacle polish, its AIO, let that cure, then SG, and let that cure, and then cover with 2 coats of Souveran.

Eimann Fabrik Black Opal - Of the tire dressings i have tried, i like this one the best. Its a bit glossy, but it appears to last substanially longer then the others.

Other exterior misc - for bugs its Porsche bug remover, for plastics its Plexus (best u can get for plastic), Mothes Mag and alum. wheel polish, Pinacle Cristal Mist for QD, Viper towel, water, and some times vinegar for windows

For Interior:
Lexol cleaner and conditioner for leather

plexus for plastics

viper towel for glass

Eimann Fabrik Carpet and upolstery cleaner for general carpets

Eimann Fabrik Spot remover for difficult spots in carpets.

Other misc items include : Porter Cable 7424, YoSteves MF towels, some Dragons breath MF towels, Rigid 4 gallon/5 hp portable vacuum, Brushes from OXO.

I would definately suggest checking out Autopia.org as well for more info on cleaning and suggestions on products.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Cody_1 is infamous around these parts
What a great list of products! Thanks for sharing.

I've already accumulated an enormous list of stuff that I need for detailing and will have the wife "surprise" me with it on father's day. :-)

Here's a total newbie question for you all (I'm new to the world of 996TT, and detailing) - do you always mask off all trim on the car before applying wax and other products? If so, what's the best method/tools to use?

Thanks in advance.........Rich

Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
I will say it again...Zaino rules!!! Buy the show car kit...has everything you need, inlcuding the clay bar, polishes, shampoo and gloss enhancer mist...Zaino did win the wax off test after all...

Old 06-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Cody_1 is infamous around these parts
Yep - I'm already signed up for the Zaino kit - just need some good advice on masking off the car - I hate wax-colored black trim.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
Has anyone tried Swissol products?