996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Still getting inconsistent boost maybe bad diverter valves?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Still getting inconsistent boost maybe bad diverter valves?

I am having very inconsistent boost problems. Can't boost more than 1.22 in 2nd, or 1.35 in third get to fourth and it boosts 1.57? I have the EVOMS billet diverter valves is it possible they need to be cleaned or repaired?

Would that cause the different boost pressure in different gears?

This is with a Greddy boost controller.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Well its usually like that with bigger turbos.. that I dont believe has anything to do with the greddy... it does not know what gear ur in... thats more WGs and or ur ECU maybe pulling back. But I would go back to the 10% and then also drop the start boost to 1 bar when r at 1.5 bars in high seeting... do one thing at a time.
My gt35rs will never spool up to 1.5 bars in 2nd.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
How old are those diverter valves? The EvoMS ones are pretty stout.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Well its usually like that with bigger turbos.. that I dont believe has anything to do with the greddy... it does not know what gear ur in... thats more WGs and or ur ECU maybe pulling back. But I would go back to the 10% and then also drop the start boost to 1 bar when r at 1.5 bars in high seeting... do one thing at a time.
My gt35rs will never spool up to 1.5 bars in 2nd.
Okay it just seems like we get dialed in and then the next time we go to drive it something is off. Last night in 2nd we were seeing 1.5 bars? Now only 1.22? Why the difference?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by SuncoastSteve
How old are those diverter valves? The EvoMS ones are pretty stout.
3 to 4 years?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Okay it just seems like we get dialed in and then the next time we go to drive it something is off. Last night in 2nd we were seeing 1.5 bars? Now only 1.22? Why the difference?
Is the same thing happening to the other car?
Switch greedy head units just to make sure its not ur headunit. I doubt it though... I thinks its a somrthing else. maybe ECU pulling back...
make sure u go back to standard settings... start from there... 10%gain.. then start boost lest say .4 bars less then ur actual boost. Warning put to 3 baars and limiter at 0.

click to view

Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Something is not right! I made my desired boost every gear and consistently. Could be the boost controller. I have an AEM boost controller (way easier to use).

S

Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
what are the temp differences between your outings? 30-40 degrees will make a significant difference in boost; ie, always tune in the cold, and just deal w/ the loss of performance in the heat.

if the problem is higher boost in higher gears, that's always the way it usually works. more load = more boost. if you started in 4th @ 2500rpm on a hill, punched it, you might be surprised how much you generate.

- chuck

Old 10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I am having very inconsistent boost problems.
Your last couple posts are not selling anyone on the greddy boost controller. Sounds like a PIA.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Is the same thing happening to the other car?
Switch greedy head units just to make sure its not ur headunit. I doubt it though... I thinks its a somrthing else. maybe ECU pulling back...
make sure u go back to standard settings... start from there... 10%gain.. then start boost lest say .4 bars less then ur actual boost. Warning put to 3 baars and limiter at 0.
We thought of trying to switch units we may do that. Warning is set to 3.0 bars and limiter is at 0.

Tim's controller seems to be working fine.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Your last couple posts are not selling anyone on the greddy boost controller. Sounds like a PIA.
Tim's is working great so either there is a problem with my car or it is a bad unit. I think it is a good product.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
I have one on the P car for 3 years and one on the Evo.... ist works fine.... I have a feeling its Buddy's car.
If the temps dropped a bit.... then u will boost less... so u have to turn it up... and vice versa.... just liek on a stock K16 in the winter u will see flickers of of .9 or even 1 bar but in the summer u get .7 bars... its mechanic as it can get so no magical stuff going on here guys...
mark

click to view

Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I have one on the P car for 3 years and one on the Evo.... ist works fine.... I have a feeling its Buddy's car.
If the temps dropped a bit.... then u will boost less... so u have to turn it up... and vice versa.... just liek on a stock K16 in the winter u will see flickers of of .9 or even 1 bar but in the summer u get .7 bars... its mechanic as it can get so no magical stuff going on here guys...
mark
Temperature was 38 degrees last night and today around 58 degrees. Would that mean last night I can boost 1.5 in 2nd gear and today only 1.22?

When I did my track event at Grattan remember I found a boost hose that came off and we could not put it back on because the end of the intercooler was actually broken. We fixed it by putting the hose higher on the intercooler and screwing it into the metal. Is it possible that could be causing the problem? It didn't seem to effect the car on the regular GT700 program before the boost controller?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Buddy,
sorry I meant that if it was cooler last night.. only 38deg ur car will less today leaving the same setting. that goes for all gears though.... Even on my evo I have turn it down when it gets colder... I suggest u getting a boost leak test.. I bet u have some leaks anyways...

click to view

Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Temperature was 38 degrees last night and today around 58 degrees. Would that mean last night I can boost 1.5 in 2nd gear and today only 1.22?

When I did my track event at Grattan remember I found a boost hose that came off and we could not put it back on because the end of the intercooler was actually broken. We fixed it by putting the hose higher on the intercooler and screwing it into the metal. Is it possible that could be causing the problem? It didn't seem to effect the car on the regular GT700 program before the boost controller?
Yes, there is a 7-8psi difference in the boost you were running then and now,they may have just been able to cope with that amount of pressure and have now failed.I would change it anyway,the stock intercooler end tanks (because they are plastic) will only expand and contract at the boost levels you are running and leak.Time for intercoolers......your gonna need them no matter what you do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Still getting inconsistent boost maybe bad diverter valves?