996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon Fiber Peeling!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oak
what do you expect? the cf on porsches interiors is just a veneer. they all eventually will peel. one of the main reasons I optioned not to order the cf interior. even if you had replaced all the pieces it would eventually peel again.
What did I expect?

Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Isnt there some way to re-laminate that CF with a glue compound? You'd think that a good interior shop would be able to put the lamination back in place....although if Porsche won't stand behind it, you'd have to pay for it yourself. I have heard repeated instances of the steering wheel cracking, but not the surrounds coming apart.

Are the instances of faulty lamination limited to a particular year car? Mine is also factory CF and it's an 02 and I havent' had any issues....you have me wondering now because I live in the Sacramento area and it gets reall HOT here. Heat and lamination are a bad combination.
Relamination may be difficult. The CF has taken on a new shape. It is warped and rigid in a new shape. If the CF was thinner, I believe the glue would hold it in place. I think it's a similiar situation to the after market CF hoods warping that were reported here a couple of years ago.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Oak,

OK, but are all the aftermarket parts veneer as well? In other words is it
the nature of the beast? or is there hope from MA Carbon, Bumper Plugs, etc.
Also what about the carbon fibre door grips and door compartment covers,
are they just as susceptible?

MK

Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
woodster, the problem with the porsche cf is it's just a faux cosmetic veneer. the cf is vacuum laminated over the stock plastic pieces of poly. both of the materials have a different coefficent expansion viola you get delamination.

real structural cf don't have this problem as the cf is designed as an intergral and structural part of the piece designed. not a faux veneer.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM
FlyYellow is infamous around these partsFlyYellow is infamous around these parts
if that is true, why does my carbob fiber steering wheel have cracks in the clear section? does the carbon fiber wheel have the same issue and is there anyway to fix a steering wheel with this problem?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by oak
woodster, the problem with the porsche cf is it's just a faux cosmetic veneer. the cf is vacuum laminated over the stock plastic pieces of poly. both of the materials have a different coefficent expansion viola you get delamination.

real structural cf don't have this problem as the cf is designed as an intergral and structural part of the piece designed. not a faux veneer.
Thanks for that idea Oak. It would seem like dramatic variation of temperature would be required to make this situation occur. My car has never seen an extreem temp. Never parked outside in the winter or summer.

Regarding your previous post about what I expect - Paying 10K for an option, especially from an company with an engineering focus like Porsche, I expect above average quality. Isn't this a reasonable expectation?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I know dealers are notorious for these types of things, but it couldn't hurt to call him back. It's possible that he was in the middle of something and forgot about it. I would probably feel like you also, but one more phone call may save you thousands. Can't hurt. Be calm, like you know he is going to take care of it for you, and if he stiffs you, then go ballistic.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
doesn't take much to delam, most of all the wrapped plastic pieces have mold release and/or much more pliable then the cf. the cf by nature is extremely stiff once set up w the epoxy resin.... so what happens is delams. once I saw how porsche cf was veneered I knew it was gong to be a problem. just a matter of time.

cf is used to generally save weight and add strength. the faux veneered cf porsche uses doesn't do either. it actually weighs much more than just the fact plastic pieces.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
There seems to be a fair share of failed carbon fiber and I had my CF side vents curl while under warranty and replaced at no charge. That said, the rest of my full CF option is over 5 1/2 years old, parked in the sun every day and still looks as good as the day the car was delivered. I think there is a resonably good chance of getting replacement pieces that do not fail. My replacement vents are now 2 1/2 years old and show no signs of failure...I love the CF look and would stay with it even if I had to relpace it periodically.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
The factory 996 carbon is known for yellowing, cracking and delaminating. All of our parts have a 2 year warranty, and we have not had any of the above issues.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
TonyTurbo is infamous around these parts
Replaced under warranty twice!

And now all the items are peeling, color change, clouding, etc. Repaired vents with JB weld, but really need to redone it all. This is the only item that I really wanted and it turn out to be the biggest problem. Being not real carbonfiber parts is one parts of it and no uv coating is the other. These parts are not up to what I think Porsche is all about.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I have CF everywhere, the OEM stuff is garbage..plain and simple.If yours is separating and it still looks good with no cracks,fading or yellowing, just use adhesive. The car is a 2002 its 6 years old, it will fade or crack.I have had more then my fare share of CF issues, I feel your pain and understand what your saying...but 6 years old and out of warranty.The only true fix it to call John or Lane at MAcarbon and replace it.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
I have the two pieces from the dash that have curled. Not split but curled. I was going to heat them up and put them under something heavy. Then use strong glue to put them back. Is this hopeless?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
No not hopeless, you need to be careful of not cracking the clear coat.I think i know the parts curling, is it the upper window defroster vents?Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
I have the two pieces from the dash that have curled. Not split but curled. I was going to heat them up and put them under something heavy. Then use strong glue to put them back. Is this hopeless?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Oh great, I ordered my CS with full carbon package from the factory. I guess I'll be paying out of my pocket when the carbon start to decolor or peel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Peeling!!!