996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon Fiber Peeling!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Kil

Yup, thats them!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I have had 3 996's every single one has curled...and all more then once. What I ended up doing was swapping them out for leather ones. I kinda regret doing that now, I miss those.MAcarbon does sell those in full Carbon $1,300.00 a set, now you know why I went with leather!. It just wasn't worth it to me anyways. If you want to try and repair them drop me a pm and I will give you my cell and give you a few tips.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
This whole thread is such a shame....guys like Zippy spend an extra $10K to have CF installed and in the end, it would have been better to leave it in leather. Porsche obviously contracted with a manufacturer that had an imperfect process...and additionally, the CF veneers do not appear to be the way to go....the pieces should have been all CF. For $10K, I don't know why they weren't...obviously costs. I've got a lot of CF throughout the car and a few cracks are starting in the center console....when it splits, I'm just going to retro it to leather....same with the other parts.....just too much trouble and expense to keep trying to patch it or buying CF.

I've often wondered if the interior cleaning products being used might have a common denominator. I know I never use Armoral or any other spray type interior cleaners....but I have used some high end leather cleaners that I apply by a bare hand. The CF just gets wiped with a damp cloth.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
The CF strip on top of the dash of my 2005 996TSCab delaminated last summer, but my dealer's service kindly replaced mine under warranty. I also went all-out with aftermarket CF pieces courtesy of Bumperplugs and MACarbon, all of whose pieces have been flawless and free of decompensation:

Attached Images      
Old 03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
More:

Attached Images      
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
AboxsterS is infamous around these parts
though i just installed carbon fiber pieces in my 04 turbo, i'll have to say that MA carbon products appear to be well done. in comparison to oem pieces i have seen, oem after time turns yellow-ish. i guess i'll just wait n see how my turns out, especially given i have a cab.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
One more:

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
All of our parts have a UV coating to prevent them looking like the factory fieces over time. I have been told that cleaner can have a lot to do with ruining carbon as well. Best is to just use a damp cloth to clean carbon.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
TonyTurbo is infamous around these parts
Warranty

A couple of pages back I posted telling of porsche replacing C/F parts, on my car they replaced all C/F twice, but now the cars out of warranty and I need everything all over, that something we could look into with 6speeders on a group buy.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:55 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
It started on my light wood veneer too....went custom wheel, TechArt shifter, and full carbon brake lever handle.....much happier.....

If you go carbon, get the full stuff and avoid the replacement OEM stuff I guess....and my car had been cared for by a detailler each month by the P.O.....so perhaps the chemicals used.....who knows. It is pathetic and Porsche should just hire MAcarbon to do kits as needed for warranty work IMHO.

I have nothing to do with MA carbon. I like their Ferrari steering wheels a lot though....if I ever get a Ferrari of course. :-)

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LaneS
All of our parts have a UV coating to prevent them looking like the factory fieces over time. I have been told that cleaner can have a lot to do with ruining carbon as well. Best is to just use a damp cloth to clean carbon.
Feces? Is that a Freudian slip?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
ya, mine is definitely doing it too...but its a track rat so I dont care as much.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
After 3 attempts dealing with the service manager at our local dealer - with an empty "I'll have to get back to you" - I ended up calling the owner of the dealership. This was about 3-4 months ago. He said the next time the area rep wass in town they would come over to the house and have a look. He suggested perhaps a deal could be struck where I paid 1/3, the dealer paid 1/3 and Porsche paid 1/3 to have the warped pieces replaced. Sounded like a decent deal, as the car wa out of warranty. Still waiting for a call back though.

If you after markets guys cost 1/3 of what the dealer charges, which wouldn't be surprising, I should buy from you. A group buy sounds like it might be a good idea.

Mike

Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
TonyTurbo is infamous around these parts
zippy

If they would do that(dealer) that would be pretty good, I was just thinking about trying to set-up a group buy, but have not got prices or taken it anywhere. In fact not sure how many make all the parts/prices. I do know that in germany their is someone and for sure in the states also.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
AL Pettee: Quick deviation here...what's the make of your quick release billett fire extinguisher bracket? Ok...back to CF.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Peeling!!!