996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How easy is it to acess to the rear seats with GT3 seats install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
i have gt3 seats with tequipment rollbar. the only way to get back there (for example to change rear shock settings) would be to get in sideways... trust me its not easy.
the rollbar makes it harder, for sure, but still its virtually impossible to have someone sit there. I currently use the back seats just to put small items, temporarily, such as a gym bag, shopping back, etc...

Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys. Sounds like Recaro Speeds.... I plan to try to make them "match" my interior either via Recaro or via a local leather guru. The latter is 300 per seat including material...and he'll put ballistic nylon in the bolsters (I hate how all deep leather bolsters look after just a little bit....think Audi 1994 S4....had that car, Recaro sourced awesome seats, looked terrible in short order).

And, you can get a sub slot from the factory.

Next question: I want to get pieces in oem black plastic for the batwing and the seat memory area since the new seats will not have memory or heaters.....just trunk and decklid openings for the door piece and black for the batwing....anyone know a source?

Dan's friend had gt3 seats at a reasonable price in natural brown (as Dan posted...). No can do. Darn. There is a line for the seats....

TIA

Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Jeff,

I think small kids could get in and out fairly easily. It would just be a bit of a PITA to slide the seat back and forth all the time...but not too bad of a tradeoff for the benefit of GT3 seats, IMO.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:27 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I told the seller to sell them....the kids will grow...my wallet for seats won't..once I got the GT3 seats (they were a fair price), I would NEVER be allowed to get more seats...

Just easier. And, I like the idea of the folding seats. ...I know, not a race seat, but I don't race. As I struggle sometimes at work when I am trying to fix the last mm of an issue, I get told "the enemy of the good is the better".... At some point, I need to just be happy with my compromise. In the end, if I need more than the speeds, I'll likely get a dedicated track car...

Note to self: play powerball more often.

Thanks guys!

Jeff

PS: Maxspeed Motorsports has a cool folding gt3 seat...fair price. But, no sub slot and no crash testing...and not the right color for me...so I'd have to add 600 to the cost....but cool seats....very cool. I have nothing to do with Maxspeed...clearly they are a copy cat morphed into a folding seat. Cool idea.

PPS: What I really need is a recaro copy cat of the 997 gt2 folding sport seat sold to us "average guys" at <1000/seat....ideally about 800 a seat or less....

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-22-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
One more issue...

If you are going to track the car with GT3 seats, rollbar and harnesses, then you also should install seat back braces that go between the roll bar and the back of the seat. These protect against seat failure if you back into something hard at high speed. The seat can fail, sliding the driver back into the rollbar which is at just about neck height. I recall that a few years ago a guy got killed this way at a PCA DE, but I don't remember the details.

Once they are installed - forget about getting into the rear seat at all. I am small enough to be able to wedge myself over the rollbar and barely reach the PSS9 adjustment, but it's getting harder. Gotta lay off the desserts...

Jon

Last edited by FAST FWD; 07-23-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Next question: I want to get pieces in oem black plastic for the batwing and the seat memory area since the new seats will not have memory or heaters.....just trunk and decklid openings for the door piece and black for the batwing....anyone know a source?
I know one place that can get them for you. You have a PM

Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys.

Steve took care of me on the door sill...via PM> And a certain awesome 6speeder sent me a batwing..thanks!

Pictures say it all...my kids would struggle to get in...annoying my wife to no end, and perhaps being a risk to them if we had a crash (would be hard to get to them....)...so Recaro Speeds it is ....(or corbeau's....anyone know which folding, 5pt compatible, name brand unit is better????).

Once I get "really good" and make it to white/red/black...I'll likely get the full deal or just buy a track car...maybe. It is DE. I don't plan to do dumb stuff and I try to avoid dumb stuff....but stuff happens...

(the way this car is going, I'll have a cool suit, hydraulic lifts, and a UMW ZC monster build in three years.... )

Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here are mine in my old 996 C2s. These are all the way back. You slide them up and someone could squeeze back there. Usually a stripper or a little person!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all your help the other day Dan (Vivid)! Still trying to decide on seats. I'll let you know when I'm ready.
-Alex

Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
No problem! Check out the Status seats too - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/status-m-232.html

Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AIRjordan23
i have gt3 seats with tequipment rollbar. the only way to get back there (for example to change rear shock settings) would be to get in sideways... trust me its not easy.
the rollbar makes it harder, for sure, but still its virtually impossible to have someone sit there. I currently use the back seats just to put small items, temporarily, such as a gym bag, shopping back, etc...
Does your GT3 seat move all the way back clearing the rollbar at the bottom... unlike the factory seats??? I'm trying to find out???

Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Just buy the rear seat delete carpet kit and lose another 20lbs.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
Does your GT3 seat move all the way back clearing the rollbar at the bottom... unlike the factory seats??? I'm trying to find out???
The seats won't slide under the rollbar....check out the pictures about 9 or 10 posts up, you'll see the harness crossbars are way too low....and I don't think the sliders go that far anyway.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Steve, I don't have the cross bars. My Tequipment bar is open to the rear but my factory seat won't clear it near the bottom were it and the seat belt attach. My question is... will a GT3 seat clear the bar at the bottom???

Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Just buy the rear seat delete carpet kit and lose another 20lbs.
Thanks... been there done that! Gotta make up for some of the added weight of the roll bar!!!