996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT700, Hitachi MAF, & stalling - problem solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:46 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
GT700, Hitachi MAF, & stalling - problem solved

this post will contain some speculation but i believe Sharky & EVO have solved the problem associated with LWFW's and the new Hitachi MAF.

the problems:
1 - the car would stall intermittently, as any car w/ a LWFW does. hit the gas, immediately depress clutch, car stalls. this is to be expected but sometimes it catches you by surprise.

2 - once my car got hot, it began stalling at every stoplight when i depressed the clutch. no lights or anything, the car just couldn't catch the revs. it started 2 months ago and it would do it a few stoplights in a row and not again. as of 2 weeks ago, it would stall at nearly every light/stop sign.

3 - for completeness, the car has stalled before when the clutch was depressed. all of the dash lights would light up. this turned out to be the fuel filter. i'm only including this example for people that might search for stalling issues and find this post. i did not have this issue this time.

to say I was unhappy driving my car would be an under-statement. it was annoying and embarassing.

the solutions:
2 - for the 2nd problem, James tore into the engine and discovered some cracked coil packs (and bad plugs, after only 3k miles on them.) i then remembered similar behavior w/ my old Supra and bad coil packs. i believe the coil packs were the cause of the 2nd problem, as the problem worsened over time. i have put about 3 hours of hard city driving on the car and it hasn't stalled yet.

1 - EVO made a new file that supposedly incorporates some of the RS code (LWFW too.) i've tried everything and i can't get it to stall. it's like a stock factory-perfect car.

i'm sure Sharky was getting annoyed w/ my *****ing but i'm a VERY HAPPY camper now. car drives like stock, revs like crazy, and the FUN IS BACK!

since we changed everything at the same time, it's impossible to say what did what but i'm somewhat confident in my explanations above.

- chuck

Last edited by carendt242; 10-28-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:53 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
this post will contain some speculation but i believe Sharky & EVO have solved the problem associated with LWFW's and the new Hitachi MAF.

the problems:
1 - the car would stall intermittently, as any car w/ a LWFW does. hit the gas, immediately depress clutch, car stalls. this is to be expected but sometimes it catches you by surprise.

2 - once me car got hot, it began stalling at every stoplight when i depressed the clutch. no lights or anything, the car just couldn't catch the revs. it started 2 months ago and it would do it a few stoplights in a row and not again. as of 2 weeks ago, it would stall at nearly every light/stop sign.

3 - for completeness, the car has stalled before when the clutch was depressed. all of the dash lights would light up. this turned out to be the fuel filter. i'm only including this example for people that might search for stalling issues and find this post. i did not have this issue this time.

to say I was unhappy driving my car would be an under-statement. it was annoying and embarassing.

the solutions:
2 - for the 2nd problem, James tore into the engine and discovered some cracked coil packs (and bad plugs, after only 3k miles on them.) i then remembered similar behavior w/ my old Supra and bad coil packs. i believe the coil packs were the cause of the 2nd problem, as the problem worsened over time. i have put about 3 hours of hard city driving on the car and it hasn't stalled yet.

1 - EVO made a new file that supposedly incorporates some of the RS code (LWFW too.) i've tried everything and i can't get it to stall. it's like a stock factory-perfect car.

i'm sure Sharky was getting annoyed w/ my *****ing but i'm a VERY HAPPY camper now. car drives like stock, revs like crazy, and the FUN IS BACK!

since we changed everything at the same time, it's impossible to say what did what but i'm somewhat confident in my explanations above.

- chuck
Good to see you got that taken care of .......I had the stalling problem on my car when I switched to the hitachi but found boost leak and it went away once i fixed the leak.The Hitachi will let you know when something isn't right but when all is good it sure does make a difference.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:58 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
good to hear chuck!...might have to catch up with you for lunch this week that incorporates a few laps through the broadway tunnel on the way

Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Hitachi MAF on GT2 w/ lwfw- kudos to EVOMS

Glad you were able to work it out. I also had the occasional stalling problem but one call to EVOMS and Mike and the boys took care of me. Might be too soon to tell but after 50 miles it seems to be the ticket. Runs smoother at idle and actually seems to pull harder with 1.5bar peaks. EVOMS returned my ECU with new programming for the Hitachi MAF and new MAF around in one day. Great service as usual. Will post again my longer term impressions.

Last edited by NelsonF; 10-28-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242

the problems:

2 - once my car got hot, it began stalling at every stoplight when i depressed the clutch. no lights or anything, the car just couldn't catch the revs. it started 2 months ago and it would do it a few stoplights in a row and not again. as of 2 weeks ago, it would stall at nearly every light/stop sign.

the solutions:

- chuck
Hey Chuck, not at all man, we just felt really bad for you! The added power from using the hitachi MAF combo was nice but not so at the exepnse of the stalling with the LWF. It's hard enough driving the TT with a Stage III LWF in the first place in SF (I have to say you got so good at it) but that intermitent stalling must have been the biggest PIA ever.

Cracked coil packs are becoming a phenom on the 01s... starting to see it more and more. I think that the new giac file with the no added fuel trim at low RPMs just makes it so that you can now depress the clutch and it'll start moving... I think Mike/Garrett had the right idea there. Let's keep our fingers crossed but neither, James, nor I or you (the LWF-expert) seemed to have stalled.

PS You got the hang of the clutch in my car too at the first attempt too

Last edited by sharkster; 10-28-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Another Sharkey success story, glad to hear it Chuck!!

I replaced my 01 Coil packs when Proto had my engine out.

I also did my coolant tank, and a few other PM things.

MK

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I have the same stalling problem when coming to a stop and depressing the clutch with the car in gear the RPM's drop and the car will die with all lights coming on.

When can I get the updated file?