996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch Slipping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Clutch Slipping?

What is the easiest way to detect a slipping clutch?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:32 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure, but today when I dropped her in second and mashed the gas, the engine rpms went up, but the car didn't accelerate. It was definitely in gear; kind of freaky. I also felt like it wasn't pulling quite as hard in 3rd and 4th. I am going over the search function and looking at clutch threads. So far, I think John D's clutch seems to be the most promising alternative for me. I'll probably send him a pm.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:41 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
I'm not sure, but today when I dropped her in second and mashed the gas, the engine rpms went up, but the car didn't accelerate. It was definitely in gear; kind of freaky. I also felt like it wasn't pulling quite as hard in 3rd and 4th. I am going over the search function and looking at clutch threads. So far, I think John D's clutch seems to be the most promising alternative for me. I'll probably send him a pm.

this + higher mileage+ more power

Old 10-28-2007, 04:49 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
What is the easiest way to detect a slipping clutch?
Go to the highway. Find a hill. Throw the car in 4th gear and mash on the loud pedal. If the RPMs rise and the car doesn't accelerate, it's your clutch. It will be very obvious.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
My clutch is finicky, last december when I bought it, after about a week the clutch started slipping, of course I was pissed, I said I'd run it till it broke. Tracked the car probably 10 times this year and it was going srtong still and wasnt slipping.

then at barber after turn 5, I hit the gas and no accel, I let it cool down for a lap and ran the rest of the weekend just fine. Got the car home and it sat for a couple weeks, then I drive it the other day and it's cold outside and I get MAJOR slippage in 3rd that morning, went to Road Atlanta to watch and when I went to lunch it was gone, and has been gone since.

I have no clue what is going on with it, but I'm gonna keep running it.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, first signs of a slipping clutch can usually be felt in 4th or 5th under boost......starts to slip even though if may feel normal in 1st or 2nd etc....

Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Paulie, like people have said here...LOAD LOAD LOAD. Get on the highway and put her in 4th gear and floor it at 1,500 rpm. As you hit peak TQ if the clutch is going to slip it's going to do it right there. If the rpm's go up and the MPH does not, it's slippin'.

Just that easy...

Peter

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
my 8k mile factory clutch started slipping - noticed it under extreme load 6th gear mash at 60mph. The tach just flew and the car went nowhere. Upgraded to the Sachs stg2 racing clutch and the old clutch mic'd out at less than 20% wear (over 80% left intact) and the flywheel looked good. The stock pressure plate just could not clamp it.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the input. I will go to the highway & give it a try.