996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM and ABS lights come on...what's with that???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Thanks, I'm getting price quotes now and will probably make the swap. I'll report back on my progress once it's been completed.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Quick update: I bought an alternator and had it replaced. I still have some engine noise but it appears to be slightly better. I need to go back to my stereo shop and let them do the final tuning and see if they can completely cure it.

As far as the ABS/PSM lights, they came on once immediately after I had the swap done but have not come on since then (about 5 days time). My fingers are crossed-hoping that this has solved that issue! I'll report back once I've driven around for awhile... Wish me luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 AM
lennyspoolin is infamous around these parts
well i just picked up my car after getin the gt 28 installed and a new ceramic clutch while i was test driving the car with the tuner in the car i spun the tires in 2nd gear and bam my psm and abs light came on. I said to my self oh man. The tuner said no problem its just a code they will get ride of the code we will see i have to take it in next week

Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
lennyspoolin is infamous around these parts
i just tryed to diconect my battery in hopes it would get ride of the psm and abs lights well it didnt work

Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 PM
rpieper is infamous around these parts
Found out my PSM ABS problem: Turbo Vacuum Box

So after about 6 months I finally took the Turbo to the 2nd dealer to find some resolution on my PSM OFF / ABS problem. So for some history, first off it only happens when I accelerate (past 70mph or so) NOT when I'm braking (ever). So I saw some threads on this site talking about the brake light switch but that wasn't it. The first dealer I took it to said, "It's the ECU, it needs to be re-flashed". They didn't even ask me before they did it, what if it was chip'd??? So needless to say I didn't take it back to them. Anyway, the problem that 2nd dealer (CARLSEN's in Redwood City, CA) found was that it was the Turbo Vacuum Box. They have to order the part from Germany and I'm going to go it installed next week, so stay tuned. This makes total sense becuase the car seem slow sometimes. One day I'd go from 0 to 60 in about 4.5 seconds the next day it was 5.2 seconds. One day I was killing an M3, the next day an IS250 is giving my trouble. I'll let you know what happens and give you more exact details...

Old 04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting.....this problem has popped up in numerous threads here and on other TT forums...no one seeme to have answer other than turn off your iginiton and turn it back on and clear the PSM/ABS light. I'll be intersted to hear your followup to this issue.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Any current follows to this issue.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I cured my engine noise (or my installer did with new amps!)...hehe

I also blew a MAF after a track day recently and swapped that out. Unfortunately I've now had the ABS/PSM light come on once recently. It happened leaving the track day just before my MAF blew...

The last time it came on, I had my codes read and I had a steering angle sensor issue registered. We cleared it and I need to see if it comes up again (need to stop by the shop)... Maybe related? I've read another thread where somebody recently replaced theirs but I'm not sure if they are correlated issues?

Anyone else? Let's get this annoyance solved once and for all!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Mine has new MAF and everything but still tend come on at slow speed and when the engine temp is under 180. Brake light works fine..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
ABS sensors...

Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
ABS sensors...

Could be but we are not registering any codes to indicate such an issue...?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
The only downfall of this car is the abs system as a whole that I can really see...that said,it is a huge downfall when tracking. I have hit the limits of where the abs will go. I have found that going over rumble strips hard has even set them off...apparently there are other causes, but he said when he went over a wave in the road or something (forget term) and that caused it to happen. Same experiences here yet at much higher speeds and more extreme conditions.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
The only downfall of this car is the abs system as a whole that I can really see...that said,it is a huge downfall when tracking. I have hit the limits of where the abs will go. I have found that going over rumble strips hard has even set them off...apparently there are other causes, but he said when he went over a wave in the road or something (forget term) and that caused it to happen. Same experiences here yet at much higher speeds and more extreme conditions.
Interesting feedback, thanks. Do you feel that this is just a design issue v. actually having a bad sensor or otherwise somewhere?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
ABS sensors...
Seems like it's just the front ones?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
really, the car just needs fresh sensors a bit more often than normal, and some extra care is needed when braking in certain conditions. That said, I have managed great things with the turbo on the track so when one takes those precautions, everything works just fine. Part of the problem on the track for me is that the wheel rotates inside the tire, which confuses the system somtimes.