996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spec Clutches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Spec Clutches

Anyone running one and care to give me a review on them?

I'm looking at the Stage 2 or Stage 3 something that will handle 600 flywheel hp or so (when I finally get there).

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Hey Chris, I know I sound like a broken record, but give Stephen a call. I got a clutch setup from him that will hold whatever I throw at it. There are some important considerations to keep in mind however when choosing your setup - hp, style of driving, and where it is a DD or not. Is your car a DD? Mine is not and it took me a few hundred miles before I was comfortable with my setup (catches high), but man does it take some abuse! Also, the LWFW is a must IMO whether you drive it daily or not. The way the car revs now is really sweet, and the chatter at idle is barely noticible from inside the car.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Spec clutches have worked great for me,(usually stage 3+) I have thrown upwards of 800 hp at them, not a glitch, and hey for the money they can't be beat., cheers, Sonny.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Yeah I have used them since 2002 in my cars, but it's always been in Mustangs and Vette's. I have had a few problems with them, but I'm sure they've fixed a lot of stuff since then. I wasn't sure how many P-cars actually use them.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
I leave my car running if im going in and out of some "store" whatever.... and my friends at first used to ask...why I wasnt worried about someone getting into my car and driving off with it!!! to which i responded..... GET in and do it!!!!!!!!!! 9 out of 10 times .....THEY ALLLLLL CLUNKED IT OUT!!!! The clutch grabs so ridiculously hard it isnt even funny.... OK sure it chatters a bit leaving in first... and is not a "refined" feel...but who cares!!! if you want that buy a mercedes!!! This thing feels like theres someone behind you slamming into you every gear shift...I mean... IT bites sooo darn hard it feels like my car is getting hit with a massive sledge hammer from behind....!!! NO SLIP HERE!!! gettin out of the hole is tricky...but once you get the hang of it..you'll be fine!!! i wish i could describe it... IT just bites hard..!! merciless!! lol....

Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by DMaffo
I leave my car running if im going in and out of some "store" whatever.... and my friends at first used to ask...why I wasnt worried about someone getting into my car and driving off with it!!! to which i responded..... GET in and do it!!!!!!!!!! 9 out of 10 times .....THEY ALLLLLL CLUNKED IT OUT!!!! The clutch grabs so ridiculously hard it isnt even funny.... OK sure it chatters a bit leaving in first... and is not a "refined" feel...but who cares!!! if you want that buy a mercedes!!! This thing feels like theres someone behind you slamming into you every gear shift...I mean... IT bites sooo darn hard it feels like my car is getting hit with a massive sledge hammer from behind....!!! NO SLIP HERE!!! gettin out of the hole is tricky...but once you get the hang of it..you'll be fine!!! i wish i could describe it... IT just bites hard..!! merciless!! lol....
Which version do you have?

I do understand the grab. My brother had a Stage 5 in his Vette, and it was NOT forgiving lol.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
all yu have to do is watch my quater mile video and you'll see how non forgiving it is.....lol... but i still did ok... lol... I could be mistaken but i thinks a stg 3 ceramic.... forget now... lol....

Old 11-03-2007, 05:07 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Do a search. I recall a lot of unfavorable posts about SPEC clutches. Try searching Rennlist too.

BTW, Chris I have a rigid kevlar disc from the EVO GT700 kit that I may not be using.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:15 PM
KINGS POWER is infamous around these partsKINGS POWER is infamous around these parts
the new carbon clutches look to show some promise.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
i don't like the spec clutches... I believe there's some class action lawsuit against the company right now too.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Class action??!! they do have a class bite!!!, I like them, cheers, Sonny.

Originally Posted by sharkster
i don't like the spec clutches... I believe there's some class action lawsuit against the company right now too.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:00 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I stopped selling them because of many reasons, quality and certainly the issue of the law suit. The bottom line is there are better setups than what they offer for the Porsche world.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Banned
Carbonetic twin & triple discs,are also excellent choises, and for the technology at good prices, Marko at Billet Design have them, cheers, Sonny.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
Spec uses Sachs pressure plates on their 993 clutches, I would imagine they use Sachs for the 996 pressure plates as well. I'm running a Spec stage 3 in my 993, have not had any problems. I am also running a Spec lightweight flywheel (made by Fidanza), it is significantly lighter then my stock flywheel. I would like to try a stage 2 disk, the stage 3 is harsher then I expected for a mostly street car since their standard Porsche apps use an unsprung hub.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I had the stage 3+ and hated it. It was a total on off switch. I hated the car. I switched to the stage 2 and it works very well. It still does not feel like the stock setup but it does hold the power. There is also a lot of driveline noise that I do not like either.

The owner of SPEC was very nice to me and worked with me on making me happy so I have had a positive experience. Just my 2 cents.

I would like to here about the lawsuite???