996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TX2K8 National Event - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60-130, Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 AM
wooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Peter,

Keep the 60-130 for sat. that is the big event for many people and is what sets our event apart from others. Lots of people road course, 1/4 mile and dyno but the 60-130 is your signature event.

+1 Agree completely

Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
sequence of events

For Next year I would do the DYNO day show and shine on the first day so that
out of towners could roll in at an easier pace. It will require for me to take 8 days away
from home to transport cars to/from, etc. One of the reasons is we have to be at
Texas World Speedway at 7:00 am on thursday am. If dyno day was first I could show
up at noon or 1 in afternoon.

Either way it is hard to please everyone, and if it rains on drag day...I win!!. All Wheel Drive baby!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
I have communicated with 85% of the sponsors as well as about 50 others via email and phone over the last 24 hours and am making the decision today (3/17) to move the Drag Racing event to Saturday and the 60-130 to Sunday. All gate fees corresponding to each day and all tech card fees corresponding to each day will remain the same.

Saturday Drag Racing
Spectator - $20
Tech Car - $45 (in addition to the spectator fee)

Sunday 60-130
Spectator - $15
Tech Car - $40 (in addition to the spectator fee)

The reasons for this decision include but are not limited to:

1. Weather - looks great on Sat but looks iffy on Sun. The drag event is ALL DAY whereas the 60-130 is 5-6 hours long.
2. The Drag Event is the marque event of TX2K8, we need to protect the event that will generate most of the interest and most of the sponsor dollars.
3. We are having a hard time locating personell to work on Sunday (Easter) and we need less personell on the 60-130 day.
4. The 60-130 day will end around 4-5pm whereas the Drag Racing event will go to 7-8pm.

Thanks for your support and see you all soon!

Peter

Last edited by houstonT; 03-17-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I may take a pass on the drag event which will of course also remove me from the Ultimate street car competition.

My wife and several friends had made arrangements to attend the 60-130 event. Two people canceled their work obligations to attend.

Personally, I planned 6 months ahead to make sure I could attend everything that Tx28k had to offer and am disappointed in unnecessary last minute changes in venue.

Peter, for the Porsche community drag racing is very, very low on the totem pole. We only do it out of curiosity to see how true road race/highway roll on cars can do in an event that our cars were not designed for.

It should go last.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Sean,

1. Passing on the drag event will not remove you from the USCC, you just won't get the points.
2. Sorry about your friends cancelling work bud.
3. There should be NO change in your plans, the events will still be Sat and Sun and therefore that changes NOTHING as far as time committment for you.
4. Don't give me that BS "I planned for 6-months" crap to guilt me (as you are a friend). The bottom line is that NOTHING changes as far as your time/ability to come to the events, all that changes is the day they are on.
5. I understand that drag racing is NOT for everyone, unfortunately 95% (more than the conservative estimate I put up) of the people felt this was the right move, including the 30+ sponsors that pour $20,000+ into this event along with their efforts/time/money. Of the 30 sponsors, 25 responded favorably to the move, 2 unfavorably and 3 have yet to respond.

At the end of the day, I am the organizer and need to do what's best for the event, I feel that this is the BEST thing to do. If you have any other thoughts/comments/concerns, pick up your phone and call me.

I know that no matter what, as the organizer (one that is NOT paid that volunteers his and his family's time by the way) I will not be able to make everyone happy. I can only do what I feel is best based on my experience with this event (this is my 9th one).

Peter

Last edited by houstonT; 03-17-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
We may end up just coming to the dyno day and spending time with the family for Easter. I'd rather get the 60-130 times before we blow up Matt's car at the track, so I guess we are going to be headed to SAR one weekend to do both. I can see why you had to change it, but it sucks its just at the last minute

We'll see though... I'll see you all on the dyno day for sure.

Last edited by Powell; 03-17-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Peter,

I will respect your decision. I realize that the world does not rotate around me. It is probably for the best.

Anyway, being in full competition mode probably would have gotten my GT2 wrecked trying to break 2:00 at TWS.

I will run the M3 at the drags although I have no idea of how I will launch her, lol.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Trill M3 is infamous around these partsTrill M3 is infamous around these parts
I will run the M3 at the drags although I have no idea of how I will launch her, lol.
Stomp the gas pedal to the floor and hold on! It will do a clutch drop and launch the car around 35-3800 RPMS. If you try launch control...the car will bog at Lonestar.

You should get some practice doing a burnout. The key to getting off the line with minimal Wheel spin is to get heat in the tires. I hope you have DR's?

P.S. I have a special gift for you...received it via mail.
Couple of sweet pictures of the M3 in Sugarland .

Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Naseem...awesome.

Hey buddy, here is an idea: Are you going to be in H-Town for the events?

If so, I will let you drive the M3 to Lonestar. Let me know because I will have to stock up on VP 109 (currently just have C-16 for the GT2).

Oh and by the way, Peter and I may disagree on this one matter but we all owe him a huge props for all the hard work he has done. Whatever the order of events this will still be the best car meet on the planet!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Trill M3 is infamous around these partsTrill M3 is infamous around these parts
Naseem...awesome.

Hey buddy, here is an idea: Are you going to be in H-Town for the events?

If so, I will let you drive the M3 to Lonestar. Let me know because I will have to stock up on VP 109 (currently just have C-16 for the GT2).

Oh and by the way, Peter and I may disagree on this one matter but we all owe him a huge props for all the hard work he has done. Whatever the order of events this will still be the best car meet on the planet!!!
My father and I were planning to come down to Houston this week. Plans have changed now as he'll have to get back to the office earlier than planned.

We we're coming to fish in Houston with my uncle. LOL! TX2k8 was going to be icing on the cake!

Get some MS 109 (VP) and get a bit of practice launching the car. Just 60' it and shut it down. You'll get the hang of it in very little time.

Huge Props to Peter for arranging this awesome event. Wish I could attend! All the best to all that make it out there!

-Naseem

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Peter, I understand your reasons for changing the plans. Sucks for some of us that made plans to come down for the 60-130 event though. I just went by what the schedule said and made plans months in advance for this. In the end, you are the organiser and the final decision falls on you and you can't make everyone happy. I guess that just makes my decision to leave early on Saturday easier. Oh well, I will be there no matter what and I want to still buy you a beer one night. See you this weekend.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I think this was a bad move for the Porsche community. I know there are several P cars that are interested in the 60 to 130 event, thus changing this event at a last moment does hurt in the recruitment of more P cars. But this is a Supra event, thus in the end we are only bystanders of such a great event. I cant wait, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Sincerely
Robert

Old 03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Swapping days should have no affect on recruiting P-cars. Let me put it to you this way: weather is threatening on Sunday (although the rain chances have gone DOWN), I had NO ONE to work the tower/timing booth/burnout box/etc... on Sunday (which I don't need for the 60-130) and the biggest generator of traffic/money is always drag racing. I personally lost money on this deal last year, so I need to protect this years drag event. Again, I hope you all understand this was the best thing for the event...

Peter

Originally Posted by robmd99
I think this was a bad move for the Porsche community. I know there are several P cars that are interested in the 60 to 130 event, thus changing this event at a last moment does hurt in the recruitment of more P cars. But this is a Supra event, thus in the end we are only bystanders of such a great event. I cant wait, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Sincerely
Robert

Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Whatever... I'm still going to talk bad about you.
I'm calling Daniel right now.
Originally Posted by houstonT
Swapping days should have no affect on recruiting P-cars. Let me put it to you this way: weather is threatening on Sunday (although the rain chances have gone DOWN), I had NO ONE to work the tower/timing booth/burnout box/etc... on Sunday (which I don't need for the 60-130) and the biggest generator of traffic/money is always drag racing. I personally lost money on this deal last year, so I need to protect this years drag event. Again, I hope you all understand this was the best thing for the event...

Peter

Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Hahahahah, OH DAMN! I just got blackballed out of Churasco's!

Originally Posted by tblackj
Whatever... I'm still going to talk bad about you.
I'm calling Daniel right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TX2K8 National Event - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60-130, Drag Racing