996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2003 996tt replaced with 08 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by forhamilton
Two blown motors. Problem was oiling system. Steering was numb. Seats were terrible. Orange peel. Flying roof and many other minor issues (ashtray would not stay closed, dealer service was horrendous, computer failure). Stock brakes were horrible. Car spent about 4 months out of 18 in the shop. The Z was incredibly fast. GM's next generation may be worthy. This Z was close, but too many quality issues.
Thats incredible, I hadnt heard of them blowing motors. I would be so pissed if I were you too!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cohare
Thats incredible, I hadnt heard of them blowing motors. I would be so pissed if I were you too!
There is another guy on this board who had the same things happen... 2 motors, 2 tranny's, disappearing roof, etc... Chevy "Lemon Lawed" it for him and gave him all his money back, every single penny even though he had paid over MSRP. They also put him into an '07 Z06 which he love's and has had no issue as far as I know.

I like the C6 Vette's over any of the previous models (not including the '72 and earlier Classics). It's the first Vette i would consider buying, however, I would always keep a Porsche in the garage too!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I wound up buying a Cayman S v. C6ZO6 mostly cause I thought I would kill myself in one, but I still would love to have one. Warts and all.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Shark and XXI, the weed I'm smokin obviously isn't as damaging as the crack some of you are smokin, go on ebay and look at 5 year old 2002 C5 Z06's with decent mileage still bringing in the the low to mid 30's, a car that could be bought new all day long for 42k or less, around a 25 percent depreciation not 45 percent. I bought an 04 Z06 commemerative for 12k off msrp or about 44k brand new, that same car with low mileage 10k or less is still bringing high 30's 4 years later about a 10 percent loss. I also bought my new Z06 for 10k off msrp or 67k for the anyone not familiar with Z06 prices. That car will still bring low to mid 50's in 5 years IMO if it follows the same trend as the low hp Z06's, which I think with the dry sump 427 that comes in the car now will make it more desireable in the used market than the C5 keeping prices up, and even if they do go to the high 40's thats still only 30 percent but only ragged out ones will see 40's. I also stated that I would buy a Porsche over a Vette because of the overall package, but the fact is Porsches are softer than baby **** in the used car market and have trouble maintaining a reasonable market price and thats a fact, look at the first post in this thread! Now I could get on that crack pipe and tell you that my GT2 with the 196K MSRP with only 3500 miles is still holding 70 percent of its value like the Z06's are, but would you believe me?

Not to mention I don't get any comfort pretending my ****s worth more than the market has shown me its not.

Last edited by jamie furman; 11-07-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Boulder GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jamie furman
I also bought my new Z06 for 10k off msrp or 67k for the anyone not familiar with Z06 prices. That car will still bring low to mid 50's in 5 years IMO if it follows the same trend as the low hp Z06's, which I think with the dry sump 427 that comes in the car now will make it more desireable in the used market than the C5 keeping prices up, and even if they do go to the high 40's thats still only 30 percent but only ragged out ones will see 40's. I also stated that I would buy a Porsche over a Vette because of the overall package, but the fact is Porsches are softer than baby **** in the used car market and have trouble maintaining a reasonable market price and thats a fact, look at the first post in this thread! .
I think you might be a little optimistic on C6Z06 resale but not much and I agree with your overall depreciation reasoning. I didn't lose much on the sale of mine. In the end it was a moot point because I didn't like the Z06 so being concerned with how cheap it was didn't matter.

In the drag race of depreciation Porsche 996tt's, I think soon 997tt's and AMG anythings get clubed.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
I go on Corvette Forum every day, and those guys are pissed that the cars are fetching less than $60k. Don't refer to inflated ebay ASKING prices as the market.......very few/any? cars ever sell on ebay.

I'm telling you, 3 year old low mile Z06s will be SELLING in the $40s in Nov 2008.....

Old 11-07-2007, 01:36 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Shark01
I go on Corvette Forum every day, and those guys are pissed that the cars are fetching less than $60k. Don't refer to inflated ebay ASKING prices as the market.......very few/any? cars ever sell on ebay.

I'm telling you, 3 year old low mile Z06s will be SELLING in the $40s in Nov 2008.....
I agree. Guys are buying new 08's for less than guys paid for new 06's, that never plays out well.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Rasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shark01

Once the SS,BlueDevil,Zr1 etc hits the street the c6zo6 will be THE performance bargain

Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM
shakazulu12 is infamous around these partsshakazulu12 is infamous around these parts
Keep going down Z06! Is the 100k warranty from 07' transferrable? at 50k or below thats not a bad deal and I will bet they will be there in the next six months. I have seen a few at 55-58k transact on the corvetteforum already.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Boulder GT3 is infamous around these parts
This thread has made me recall my least favorite part of owning the C6Z06. I had a lot of track time in Z06's and much respect there. I think the bad quality and dealer issues are way overblown by corvette haters. What got on nerves was that every conversation with a car enthusiast always started with "they are a great car for the money". In owning one, that seemed to be the punch line for everything. People rarely if ever say a Lambo, Porsche or Ferrari is a "great car or the money'" because they aren't. Somebody may think a P is a much better value than a F but most would agree that both are excessive. People will talk to you about a P,L or F and just say it’s a cool car or they like it. With a Z06 it was always “it will kick a Ferraris *** for 1/3 the priceâ€. BTW, I don’t consider $70K cheap but I always felt like the view was you were ordering off the Wendys value menu with the corvette and I got sick of agreeing with how cheap it is.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sdorn
I think it is an '08 Z06 vs 996TT thread, completely different thing.
No, it is the same thing '06, '07, '08, '09, 2010 Z06 vs the TT, Geez it all comes down to preference.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM
shakazulu12 is infamous around these partsshakazulu12 is infamous around these parts
I must admit, I had thought of making my own thread at one point with the same title, but since I'm a few months away from actually making the buy, I have not done so. At this point, they all boil down to whatever floats your boat. I got some seat time in a Z06 finally and was blown away. I have not had the chance to push a 996TT. My girlfriend has an Audi TT (I know worlds apart, I currently drive an E39 M5) and the first thing that pops in my head whenever I drive it is how I can't stand the turbo lag. I'm looking forward to finding out if its the case with the 996TT though.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport is infamous around these parts
With the new shock package the '08 is much better in the handling department. It will never be a P-car...and its not supposed to be. Tires are the big thing holding it back as the runflats are total crap...I mean horrible...scary actually...just ****...ask any NASCAR driver how good the ol Goodyears are...they'll tell you.

When the used '08's are in the $40k range then you can get one and put brembos, motons, proper tires, proper seats, an accusump to deal w/high g oiling issues and possibly add the cam, headers and head work for a bit more HP...you'll have a very wicked ride for the right price....or just by a GT3....whatever you like. Personaly I like the ZO6, but always felt w/those terrible tires, it was just an accident waiting to happen.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Well I really didn't reply to this thread for an argument, everyone can think what they want too, no matter who's right or wrong?. I agree with Boulder GT3 about the 1/3 or 1/2 price comments, their weak! But I disagree that the Z06 is cheap, it may not be Ferrari or Porsche quality but it does what its supposed to and its a good looking car IMO. I sold my 1000 mile 360 Modena because I had a lot more fun in the vette and never drove the 360 so for me it was the opposite of Boulder! For all you guys that have an opinion on residual value of the Z06 and TT have any of you ever owned both and sold both? I have on 2 occasions each and thats where I have been getting my info from, not unsold ebay auctions (check completed ones!) but from personal experience, you know like the first post in this thread!
This thread was about TT vs Z06 residual value, right?

Last edited by jamie furman; 11-07-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Ok Congrats on your new Vette glad you like it. For me I would never, ever trade my tt for any Vette. However if I could afford to add the new ZR1 to join my tt that's a different story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 996tt replaced with 08 Z06