996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Grigio Titanio Enzo and Enzo spider!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:02 AM
wantone is infamous around these parts
Isn't it obvious the spiders are all model cars??? I like how the front Italian plate fits nicely in the driver side bottom duct!!!

Old 05-25-2004, 08:44 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
I agree with whoever said the Enzo looks like a transformer. LOL that's a good way to put it. An incredible piece of engineering, but definitely butt ugly.

If the Enzo was a woman it would be what we call a "butterface".

Old 05-25-2004, 08:56 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
ESK:

"And this is such a big deal to you because?"

your silence is deafening.
Ben,

I seem to recall your mentioning on some other board that when your order became "official," you refered to your $50k hard deposit as an "option." If the going price for a CGT was above list, you would exercise it, if it was below you would back out. Not that it matters to me, but with all those allocations sitting around, well, looks like you may be a little lighter in the wallet! Just looking out for you my friend!

Eric

Old 05-25-2004, 09:14 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"Can't wait to see what his CGT is worth after they build all 1500."

thanks for the clarification because i got a somewhat different vibe from the above than "Just looking out for you my friend!"

actually what i said was if the CGT market is well below MSRP, i would pick one up in the aftermarket and let my deposit go. iow, i have always intended to get the car no matter what the market was for it, but would obviously not pay more than market for the car (ie: if they are selling for $350k in november when mine comes, i will buy one for $350K + my lost deposit of $50K instead of $460K).

i'm down nearly 60% on my 996 cab (given all my modifications) in a mere 3 1/2 years and 15k miles. if i had it to do all over again, i would. i've thoroughly enjoyed the car and still am having a hard time bringing myself to sell it. in fact, i might not. depreciation and opportunty cost is just the price of admission, but i will always try to do my best during acquisition (ie: i rec'd $7k off MSRP on my car despite ordering it new in the summer of 2000 - you remember used 996s selling on ebay for MSRP and slots selling for above MSRP?).

Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
Ben,

Don't get me wrong, we're all big boys and depreciation is "just the price of admission." But, what's frustrating about Porsche is their lack of concern/total disregard for their customers. I think the CGT is a perfect example. Why build 1,500 examples? It's a $460,000 car. If I'm paying $460k, I'd like some exclusivity. The car was originally going to be around $350k. I think the same can be said about MB and the SLR (nearly the same MSRP and production numbers, but over 7 years). Another example is the new Turbo "S." Who's going to give me anything for my '04 when the "S" is going to list for $141,200. Mine listed for $147k and I don't have X50 or ceramics! I'd be luck to LOSE $25k right now! Porsche could have made this car a REAL "S" like the last '97 version with an MSRP of around $170k and I guarantee they would have sold just as many. Imagine a flatnose 996 TTS?

I think that's where Ferrari really does things right. With '04 Spiders selling for upwards of $50k over list, Ferrari could definately a) increase production or b) raise the list considerable (it did just go up $10k but that was mostly due to the weak dollar). But they don't!

Last edited by ESK; 05-25-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:07 AM
"I think the CGT is a perfect example... The car was originally going to be around $350k."

The price has always been the same in Euros. Porsche was not hedged until not too long ago (think they're covered to 2007 now) and had to pass on the dollar's crumble relative to the Euro onto the customer. I can understand Porsche's reluctance to eat the $75 mil on the 750 cars coming to the US.

I hear a lot about exclusitivity, but don't really understand it. The lack of exclusitivity is what allows us to buy reliable machines for which Ferrari has to charge 35 to 100% more for the same performance. Then when the warranty on their cars are up considerably sooner than ours, they stick a large member into owner's rears in the service department (quite often at that) to further cover the choice to produce exclusitivity. All along the way prior to warranty expiration, they also stick it in their customers as they have to in order to make a profit on the slimmer volume.

You of all people with 29k miles on a 13 month old Cayenne have to appreciate Porsche's lack of exclusitivity. Afterall, you are (understandably) upset about your $25k hit on your TT cab, but can you imagine what would happen to your wallet on a % of price paid basis if you put 29k miles on a Ferrari in 13 months? That's probably too many miles on a Ferrari for 13"0" months.

Incidentally, you and Nick both were under the misconception that the turbo cab was going to be special as in exclusive. I rendered a contrary position. Nick chose to back out because he wasn't willing to lose the $10 to $20k (including sales tax) I told him was likely if he bought one for 3 to 4 months. You chose to buy one anyway which is fine, but Porsche proved it's colors with the regular turbo production and the joke is on us if we think "it's going to be different this time".

I agree the "S" turbo is going to be a painful resale experience for those recently buying regular turbos. Porsche probably thinks (rightly so) they are offering value for their customers, but it does hurt previous customers. It's hard for Porsche and both customers (new and old) to win. You're probably better off just enjoying the car you presumably loved before learning of the "S" though. It's a great car.

"I think the same can be said about MB and the SLR (nearly the same MSRP and production numbers, but over 7 years)."

BTW, do you really think they're going to be getting MSRP that far into the future? That car will be dated and surpassed well before that time.

EDIT:

I re-read your post and would like to comment on:

'Who's going to give me anything for my '04 when the "S" is going to list for $141,200. Mine listed for $147k and I don't have X50 or ceramics!"

The market has said that both those options - particularly X50 were a scam for the price Porsche has been charging for them. Isn't footwell lighting free now vs. the ridiculous $700 it used to be? You're right though, they probably could charge $170k and still sell them. However, it's really hard to take a stab at a company who has chosen to put that $30k difference in their customers pockets rather than in their own. Lastly, I'm quite sure you won't find a turbo S for $141k with the same options you've obviously added to yours for it to sticker at $147K. Rather, you added nearly $20k in options to your car which would cause the new S to be $170K.

Last edited by ben, lj; 05-25-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by dan996tt
First time I hear that.

As far as looks, IMO the Enzo > CGT by a LARGE margin.
Couldn't agree more!

Old 09-12-2004, 03:37 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
my god that car is just mouth watering

Old 09-12-2004, 04:09 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Umm, since when did enzo come in spider?

Old 09-12-2004, 04:19 AM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Have to go with the Enzo over the CGT...

Old 09-12-2004, 05:11 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Umm, since when did enzo come in spider?

Its a 1/18th scale model..

and BTW, who bumped this thread, its hella old

Old 09-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by mehrabani1
Its a 1/18th scale model..

and BTW, who bumped this thread, its hella old
Someone wanting me to eat my words. MMM MMM Good.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Ben, I'm actually shocked that you of all people backed out on your CGT order for a Stradale....

Old 09-12-2004, 07:03 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
Originally posted by ben, lj
Since I flip flopped instead of lying through my teeth repeatedly for the last four years while killing thousands of my own people to line mine, my family's, and friends pockets, I guess so.
Geez, Ben, I always assumed you were a Bush guy? First you cancel the CGT, then you buy a Ferrari. Is this Ben or has Nick taken over your body?

Seriously, I think you made the right call here. I guess we're both even on the "I told you sos!" You on the Turbo Cab and me on the CGT.

Good luck with the CS. I love my F-car but miss the TT's torque.

Last edited by ESK; 09-13-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ESK
Geez, Ben, I always assumed you were a Bush guy? First you cancel the CGT, then you buy a Ferrari. Is this Ben or has Nick taken over your body?

Seriously, I think you made the right call here. I guess where both even on the "I told you sos!" You on the Turbo Cab and me on the CGT.

Good luck with the CS. I love my F-car but miss the TT's torque.
yep, kudos to you on the cgt call. i just never would have thought their key selling point would be the key reason people would ditch the car - the clutch.