996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon Fiber Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Tom K,

With all the weight you have taken off the front end of your car having a light battery, no spare or tools, no bumper support and maybe lighter wheels/brakes, to name a few, I would be curious to know your % weight distribution front to rear, if you happen to know.

I am currently at 38.1 and 61.9 and haven't taken out all the weight you have. I am still at 3410# sans driver with a little over a half-tank of fuel.

Did you notice any difference in handling at some point as the front got lighter and lighter? I would love to figure out how to get more weight off the rear end, but can't think of anything else to do that makes sense, either safety or dollar-wise.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
I just purchased the PC680T $125.000 with the mounting bracket. This Odyssey battery does not require a charger if you start the car at least once every two weeks. I spoke with Tony (951-736-3530) at West Coast battery. He is in Corona, Ca and kenw exactly which battery and mounting hardware I needed for my 996TTS. The battery specks are posted below.

PC 680T Specs:
  • 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • Short circuit current over 1800A
  • 17 amp hours
  • 24 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • With metal jacket
  • Length 7 1/16"
  • Width 3"
  • Height 7 5/16"
  • Weight 15 lbs
Odyssey design:
  • 2 year full warranty
  • Rugged Drycell sealed design
  • Military grade
  • Vibration resistant
  • 60% more starting power
  • Deep discharge reserve power
  • 2 year storage life
  • 8-12 year design life
  • Can be mounted flat or upright

Also available with a textured matte black finish
  • Lightweight aluminum weighs less than 1 pound
  • Can be mounted flat or upright
  • Great for buggys, cars, and small aircraft
  • Brushed finish suitable for painting
thats the right battery and holder. word of caution. that battery will not take sitting around and starting once every few weeks without a trickle charger believe me I know.
if you or anyone goes with this you must commit to a charger. IMHO at least.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Tom K,

With all the weight you have taken off the front end of your car having a light battery, no spare or tools, no bumper support and maybe lighter wheels/brakes, to name a few, I would be curious to know your % weight distribution front to rear, if you happen to know.

I am currently at 38.1 and 61.9 and haven't taken out all the weight you have. I am still at 3410# sans driver with a little over a half-tank of fuel.

Did you notice any difference in handling at some point as the front got lighter and lighter? I would love to figure out how to get more weight off the rear end, but can't think of anything else to do that makes sense, either safety or dollar-wise.
I have had the car corner balanced I will go back and look. But remember how much I took off the rear as well, so maybe close to the same starting ratio. car handles great and I think its around 3150-3200 pounds.

remember no exhaust system, rear bumper, wiper, seats, subwoofer balances things in the front out some.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Been discussed everal times but my 2 cents again......the 928 is 10 pounds heavier than Tom's but still saves 25 lbs off OE & is fairly practical.......just the same, the car should not be left for a week with-out running and with-out a trickle (I'm up here in the great white North ).

Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by GreggT
Been discussed everal times but my 2 cents again......the 928 is 10 pounds heavier than Tom's but still saves 25 lbs off OE & is fairly practical.......just the same, the car should not be left for a week with-out running and with-out a trickle (I'm up here in the great white North ).

totally agree and Gregg is where I got all my battery info!!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The battery just arrived. Thanks Tom for the advice. I will install tomorrow.

Last edited by robertp; 12-19-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about

there is no 928 listed on their site. are you talking about the 925?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Sorry.....thanks for catching typo.......925CA w/Terminals.......I think West Coast used to get around $40 for that side-mount hold down........but the batt was only $105 or whatever.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
Sorry.....thanks for catching typo.......925CA w/Terminals.......I think West Coast used to get around $40 for that side-mount hold down........but the batt was only $105 or whatever.
thanks gregg. i am looking at Rennline.com and they only list two model numbers for the 925: a pc925mjt and pc925t.
http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EL%2DPC925

which is the correct one?

thanks.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drewTT
thanks gregg. i am looking at Rennline.com and they only list two model numbers for the 925: a pc925mjt and pc925t.
http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EL%2DPC925

which is the correct one?

thanks.

Go to http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm and check out the batteries. I have the PC680T and purchsed the Rennline battery holder http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EL30%2E37

Click to Enlarge

Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Can one charge the TT via battery via the 12V cabin cigarette lighter socket or only directly to the battery ??

Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Old 08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I also have the 925T. Works great. Rarely trickle charge if I wont start it for a week or more. Never let me down. Very practical for DD and cuts 25lbs off stock batt.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:28 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I think I am going to try the Braille B14115.