996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon Fiber Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Carbon Fiber Battery

Has anyone used the Brail battery? This one is 21 lbs. Is that a 30 lb weight savings over the factory?

B3121 Specs CF Battery $250.00

Casing: Carbon Composite Shell & Polymer Plastic
Weight: 21 lbs
Length: 6.6
Width: 5.2
Height: 6.8
Pulse Cranking Amps: 1380
Cranking Amps: 742
Cold Cranking Amps: 550
Amp Hour Rating: 31
Warranty: 1 Year Free Replacement / 2 Year Limited Pro-Rated Extended Coverage

Last edited by robertp; 12-19-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I always thought the shell on the battery was plastic and pretty light already... a 60% weight savings and a one year warranty makes me nervous. Unless, of course, you are racing and replacement cycle is not a concern.

A

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this battery?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Saw this post some time ago

Rennlist Braille

Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
way too heavy.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
NotEvenAllowed is infamous around these parts
I'm pretty sure that optima makes batteries that are nearly as light, cost a lot less, and have a better warranty. I think the current carbon fiber trend is being taken too far in this case, plastic is just as light.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NotEvenAllowed
I'm pretty sure that optima makes batteries that are nearly as light, cost a lot less, and have a better warranty. I think the current carbon fiber trend is being taken too far in this case, plastic is just as light.
this is lighter and way cheaper....

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport is infamous around these parts
Go over to rennlist. two big threads on GT3 and 964 boards entitled: 6lb battery. General consensus of Braille is they suck unless you want to keep them on a trickle charger all the time....even at the track. Plus that's not a carbon fiber battery. last one I saw was sticker material not real CF...maybe they finally got called on that one and had to make a "real" casing. Only lightweight battery at the moment that really works..ie will start your car after a week or so of non-use is the Odyssey.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
AlanS is infamous around these parts
Check out this Battery

Check this battery is weighs 6 pounds. https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/@www.v...products_id=37

They also have a less powerful model that weights 3 pounds.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Tom, tell us about the bracket for your battery.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:35 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AlanS
Check this battery is weighs 6 pounds. https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/@www.v...products_id=37

They also have a less powerful model that weights 3 pounds.

Alans, this is the battery that I was looking for. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
this is lighter and way cheaper....

Which model is your battery, how long have you had it?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport is infamous around these parts
If you are interested in the Voltphreaks battery then you should read the posts mentioned above on Rennlist where the Voltphreak guys answer questions, etc. etc. I would also encourage you to email Robert Linton from those posts as he is currently conducting tests on the battery here in US and over at McLaren. His initial observations re: performance and build quality should be enlightening for you. He has bought 3 of them to do R&D on and killed one alread. He also has another lithium ion phosphate battery that he will be testing. Do your homework so you don't blow a bunch of $$ on something that will not perform for your application.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
Which model is your battery, how long have you had it?
just like it says odessey PC 680. Costs $75, really cant beat that (and I have a spare)
bracket out of catalog from rennline... http://www.rennline.com/products.asp?dept=235

that above battery has been in my car over two years. It has always started and never failed.
BUT I keep it on a maintainer every night and at the track when not driving.
It is not for everyone. the next odessey up IIRC the 920 still saves 25 pounds and doesnt require the charger all the time.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by LARennsport
If you are interested in the Voltphreaks battery then you should read the posts mentioned above on Rennlist where the Voltphreak guys answer questions, etc. etc. I would also encourage you to email Robert Linton from those posts as he is currently conducting tests on the battery here in US and over at McLaren. His initial observations re: performance and build quality should be enlightening for you. He has bought 3 of them to do R&D on and killed one alread. He also has another lithium ion phosphate battery that he will be testing. Do your homework so you don't blow a bunch of $$ on something that will not perform for your application.
I just purchased the PC680T $125.000 with the mounting bracket. This Odyssey battery does not require a charger if you start the car at least once every two weeks. I spoke with Tony (951-736-3530) at West Coast battery. He is in Corona, Ca and kenw exactly which battery and mounting hardware I needed for my 996TTS. The battery specks are posted below.

PC 680T Specs:
  • 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • Short circuit current over 1800A
  • 17 amp hours
  • 24 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • With metal jacket
  • Length 7 1/16"
  • Width 3"
  • Height 7 5/16"
  • Weight 15 lbs
Odyssey design:
  • 2 year full warranty
  • Rugged Drycell sealed design
  • Military grade
  • Vibration resistant
  • 60% more starting power
  • Deep discharge reserve power
  • 2 year storage life
  • 8-12 year design life
  • Can be mounted flat or upright

Also available with a textured matte black finish
  • Lightweight aluminum weighs less than 1 pound
  • Can be mounted flat or upright
  • Great for buggys, cars, and small aircraft
  • Brushed finish suitable for painting

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Battery