996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GROUP BUY ANYONE? Best place and price for buying roll cage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
DAS sport, quality is awesome and it looks awesome. You do not need to cut any carpets or weld anything its a complete bolt on. The rear section bolts up to your rear shock mounts to give the bar a better angle and to provide extra stiffness to the rear shocks. Buddy I know you have a sound system in your car and the rear section of this rollbar might interfere with your subs but I would definately check this bar out its sick!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I only want a rollbar that bolts in as well. What is the price on the DAS, GMG and Tequipment?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Techquip with cross brace is about $1000, dont know about the others that
you mentioned. If the DasSport bolts in to the shock towers (I believe it does),
and you want a real strong cage and will not cut your carpet/bolt plates in, then
I think the DasSport is the one. The AutoPower (has bolts/plates) is a very strong
option and very good value!

MK

Old 11-13-2007, 06:23 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
I've been doing some research on this topic over the past few weeks and this is what I've come up with thus far:

1) Buy either the DAS ($1200), GMG ($1500), or Tech Equip. ($995) bolt-in units. The DAS and Tech Equip. do provide some rollover protection, but they appear to be glorified harness bars and provide limited seat adjustability. I believe the GMG is a beefier unit and the only one that qualifies for use in time trials by the various track sanctioning bodies-but I'm still confirming this. It also may have more favorable seat adjustability-TBD.

2) Buy a true harness bar (Brey Krause R-1030 ($550), R-1035 ($875) or Sparco ($400)) and have no limitations with respect to seat position. These obviously do not qualify as roll bars.

3) Buy the Autopower bolt in roll bar for $650 (inc. shipping), powder coat it for est. $150 and install it yourself for a total of $800 (or add a $350 for install). Seat travel has yet to be determined, but appears to be better than any in Option 1 and not as good as Option 2. I believe this unit is approved by the various sanctioning bodies for time trials. This option will involve cutting into the carpet and drilling holes into the car.

Because seat travel is a big issue for me, and I do want to eventually do the time trials, I think my only two options are GMG or Autopower. Given the difference in the price, Autopower seems to be the way to go for me but I'm certainly open to hear other thoughts/opinions. The pricing above are estimates that will hopefully improve under a group buying situation.

Onto this you would then add the cost of the seats, belts, mis. hardware including seat brackets and anchors.

Another thing I should mention is that the PCA is changing its rules with respect to DE's and the use of 5-6 point harnesses beginning in 2008. I do PCA events and will need to make sure that whatever is done will be in compliance with the new rules. At the very least it appears this will involve buying seats that have routing holes for the shoulder and anti-submarining belts.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
If you have any remnants of the Bose sub box, I believe it will have to be removed, as will anything else encumbering the shock towers. The DAS is still categorized as a roll bar and not a cage as you specified in the title of your thread. I feel it does offer more protection than the Tequipment with cross brace like I installed, but neither is even close to the level of protection a true cage can provide.

I don't believe the Tequipment bar meets club racing requirements of all the sanctioning bodies but I think the DAS does. That's why I have the opinion that DAS offers more protection.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sounds to me like Autopower needs to make a true bolt-in for less money or we need to get Das to do a group buy, I dont intend to race my TT, but I need it to be compliant to all forms of Time Trials.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 PM
DAS Sport offers some kind of piece that for an additional cost (I believe its $50) makes the bar acceptable for club racing requirements. I uploaded some pictures of my bar for you guys to see, it is a DAS Sport and the harness bar is curved to give you more room to put your seat back.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM
It is definately angled more than the other bars considering the rear bolts up to the shock mounts instead of the rear seatbelt side mounts like the OEM Bar. I believe this will make the bar stronger in case of a rollover and makes the car more rigid although like stated before it definitly doesnt provide the added safety a full cage would, its an awesome bar and highly recommend it. The Tequipment bar seems kind of flimsy to me. In the last pic I posted you can see how much it angles back and how it connects to the shock mounts and you can see how the harness bar is curved to give you more room for your seat

Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How about more pictures of that car, that thing is HOT!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 PM
haha thank you, I actually have never taken any nice pictures of the car, I really should, it is for sale by the way, when I get back from vacation in 2 weeks Ill have to do a little photoshoot before I sell it, I dont want to highjack this thread but I will definitly post up pics soon I just wanted you guys too see the DAS sport rollbar

Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 AM
What kinda wheels are those?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:16 AM
champion rg5

Old 11-14-2007, 06:00 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Here is my absolute requirements, I want to be able unbolt the horizontal harness bar from the Roll bar so I can still occassionaly use my rear seats. I don't want to be limited in my rear seat travel and I don't want to drill any holes.

That plus cheap and we have ourselves a winner!

Seems like the Autopower is a good choice for all of the above?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
You have to drill with autopower.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
for you Buddy, I think Autopower may be your best choice. You have to cut some carpet and drill some holes under the carpet but if you do it right....(see pics on vivids website) it is VERY reversable, AND you get to keep your subs.....I was gonna have GMG modify theres for me so I can put my seat back, Im 6'3", but if I can confirm that the Autopower fits....that's what Im buying........

Chris

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY ANYONE? Best place and price for buying roll cage.