996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New AP/VR 650 Turbo Kit Porsche 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
External wastegates produce far more HP and TQ then internal gates. Look at any turbo car making serious power besides porsche. You probably could not hear them that well because of the mic quality and the exhaust, but believe me, they are loud! Take a ride to AZ and I will give you a nice track demo Factory boost solenoids DO NOT control external wastegates. A Boost Controller such as the Greddy Profec B will hold boost more consistant, give you more control over it (race gas, cruising, racing, whatever). Our fueling is with an upgraded pump and a 5 bar fpr.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
to bring back the old school on external wastegates, look at this test we did using the stock turbos. - http://www.myvividracing.com/project...t-exposed.html

Here is the external wastegates we installed on our car about a year ago with K16's

Here is the dyno sheet showing the gains with external wastegates compared to stock wastegates. Just for reference these numbers are a bit higher then normal as our dyno has been recalibrated -

We are able to run more boost and gain much more tq on this setup. Why? Because as soon as the boost builds and the wastegates open, all the exhaust gas bypasses the exhaust system which is a big restriction. As well, the turbine wheel is able to function and be as efficient as possible without any turbulence from the internal wastegate.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:56 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
External wastegates produce far more HP and TQ then internal gates. Look at any turbo car making serious power besides porsche.
How do wastegates produce power? The Veyron uses internal wastegates. What 5 bar FPR and pump are you using?

Thanks for your time, and the kit looks great!

Ryan

Old 11-23-2007, 06:02 PM
atl123 is infamous around these parts
Some very impressive work going on over there at Vivid. Good job Dan! It seems you've substitued the Softronic system for Upsolute at a considerable price increase (+$1300 yikes!). Given the obvious greater convenience and flexibility for tuning this system, can you compare it the other systems, namely FVD or UMW for more basic tunes? These two also seem to support custom-tunes. Also would I have to pay the whole amount to upgrade a tune from say k16's to k24's to this system?

I also have a 944 Turbo with external-dump wastegate and it scares small children not-to-mention a few first time drivers! Some compare the sound ripping canvas, others to a more offensive bodily function. VERY LOUD! Hopefully our beloved flat 6's sound sweeter. Would it be possible/necessary to put small mufflers or tye these back into the exhaust for sound-sensitive environments. I'm specifically worried about increasingly strict track decible limits. I miss half the Sunday morning sessions at Road Atlanta.

Last edited by atl123; 11-23-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:54 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mitch@Vivid
Tom,

To briefly answer your question the hybrids make good power, but our set-up is a true garrett turbo with a CHRA ballistic cartridge. This is in my opinion the best center cartridge out there. I can't speak on behalf of the hybrid guys as I am not sure, but I don't think they use the CHRA housing.

Also I personally did a lot of compressor chart sizing and I found these turbos to be the most efficient. These turbos will continue to make power at higher and higer boost for the guys that want to get a bit more crazy.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...548_comp_e.gif

This is more or less what we used but if you do the math on it, the turbo vs air flow/displacement rating is very fitting.

Hope this helps guys,

Mitch Mckee
Vivid Racing
Dan, Mitch, thanks for the quality info and products!!! Love the idea!!

tom

Old 11-23-2007, 08:02 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atl123
Would it be possible/necessary to put small mufflers or tye these back into the exhaust for sound-sensitive environments. I'm specifically worried about increasingly strict track decible limits. I miss half the Sunday morning sessions at Road Atlanta.
Back in the day when I had an Eclipse turbo I used a motorcycle muffler on my dump tube. It made a big difference. From the looks of it, i think it would be easy to route the dump tube back into the exhaust. You can also incorporate a few flanges so you can switch back and forth.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Sorry I did not get the dyno up of the TIP car. We have to switch the spark plugs out. Monday

Marty - thank you as always for your support!

DX - The kit is as easy to install as pulling off your stock headers and turbos. It is a complete swap. It would take a technician 1 day to switch and dial everything in. There is no tuning really. We have a set map ready. On the dyno or the street you would dial in the boost, check the AFR, then be good to go. If a map change was needed, through the client cable, you would load a new file as needed. As far as the before and after dynos, when we do your car, we will have some

Anyone that is interested in the kit, I would even pay 1 way of the auto transport. If there is a track day that same week or weekend here, you are running free too
Good stuff Dan!!! I like the way you think!! Hope you guys keep up the good work, we will all benefit!!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Here is the pictures of the X50 Tip we talked about. We will be dynoing today as we have to change the spark plugs out. The car is equipped with AP 650 Turbo Kit, AP Boost Hoses, AP FHose, Forge Diverter Valves, K&N Flat Panel Filter. Some side parts he has: Momo wheel with custom paddle shifters, JIC Coilovers, AP sway links, AP control arms, GT3 sway bar, Work VSXX wheels.

More pics coming soon
View a COMPLETE gallery here of this project -
http://www.myvividracing.com/gallery...ages.php?c=287

Complete Kit Installed -

New Oil tanks with drain -

Manifold and External Wastegate Dump Pipe -

AP Boost Hose and FHose -

Mitch Loading the new map -

Almost ready!
Is that a STOCK muffler?? All that work for nothing!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor
Tom - he actually has a GHL on it, just need to post pictures.

TXGold - if you give me $1M I will make internal gates make you HP too. Which 5bar? standard bosch. The pump is a GT2. Appreciate the feedback!

ATL123 - thanks for the kind words. there is some cool things going on here we have done alot of fun stuff since we started back in 2001. our partnership in working with AFI has helped bring this incredible quality product to the Porsche market. The craftmanship that goes into these parts is unparalleled. The only thing I know about the FVD is a local car that has it on K24's and I hear it is pretty strong. UMW I know nothing about. I can tell you just like in our product descriptions HERE Softronic is 1 of the few if not only company that uses actual Porsche Motorsports tools to do the ECU configuration. There are a couple VERY well known tuners/shops that alot of you are currently running their parts from that helped in development of this software. This is a good thing! Upsolute did retail for $700, but if you did not mind sending in your ECU, having your car down, and getting it back days later, then it was ok. Softronic for the additional $1300 provides you with a better software, better customer support, more easily upgradeable, and more convenient. We are all here to make money, and having your car down for 3 days is not conductive to anyone. For those that do flash with us for lets say a K16 or K24 map then what to upgrade to a K24 or AP AFI 650 Kit, simple file uploading and downloading for a small upgrade fee...

ATL, our EVO and STI's sound like that too with external wastegates. The sound is like "come here, I am going to kill you!" The 996TT does rip, but not that bad. Here is a sound clip when I had them on my K16's - www.myvividracing.com/images/ap996ttwg.wmv. I do not think you will have decible issues at all. You could make the dump pipes reroute to your exhaust, but that would defeat the purpose really. I was going to extend mine to go out through the smaller tip of my exhaust to shoot flames

Tom - no prob man. When I originally wanted to build this kit, I was going to do something like other companies where you take stock turbos and have them machined for T28 cartridges. Unfortunately that was a painful logistic process and I felt it was unfair to the customer for what they were purchasing. Since we did alot of EVO and STI Kits using GT turbos, I figured, "hey, lets change the flange on our Agency Power headers and bolt on GT turbos to that." Well those headers would have worked if the angles were different. But now there is a better header system that is very unique to this market. So that is how I hooked up with my friends at AFI to help rework the project.

Mitch has looked at the GT turbo numbers for past projects and if you look at the link he posted, you can see why this GT2860RS is great for the Porsche car.

We will have official product photos being posted on monday. As well as a sound clip and dyno from our Tiptronic car. For those drivers that have their own tuners or setups, we will have hard parts priced for you to buy. This Agency Power AFI 650 Turbo Kit is exclusive through us at Vivid Racing. So any technical assistance, product inquiries, or wholesale interests, please contact me. If you want this product and your local tuner does not carry it, have them call me so I can get them on our product line! You can view this kit and all our Porsche Agency Power parts here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...agency+porsche

Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor
Here are all new product pictures of the kit components. We are now offering it sold as just the hard parts or with turbos and wastegates for those wanting to use their local tuner. http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/45759

Starting at $7399.99 for the kit components.

Also our MSRP on the complete kit is $15000, but our MAP is always 10% off. So we have put it public now online for $13500 for the COMPLETE 650 Kit -
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/45746

Last edited by vividracing; 11-26-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Dan,

Would Garrett GT3076's bolt up to those fancy headers ?
(I am talking water cooled G's, not hybrids)

If so, how much for the headers and when will they be available??

Marty Kaye

Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
they sure do, shipping a kit to a special forum user today with that setup.

the headers will not be sold seperately. hard parts kit only with or without turbos as seen on that product link. with the Garrett turbos (not hybrid) you will need our oil can and exhaust adapter because the OEM wont work.

let me know marty!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:48 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Hard Parts Kit Includes:
  • AP/AFI High Flow Exhaust Manifolds for Garrett Turbos
  • AP/AFI Dump Tubes for External Tial 44mm Wastegates
  • AP/AFI Exhaust Adapter Flange to run any OEM replacement exhaust
  • AP/AFI Billet Aluminum Oil Sump Kit
  • AP/AFI Oil and Water Line Kit with Fittings
  • AP Silicone Couplers offset for 3inch Compress Outlet
You can optionally select to add either the GT2860RS or GT3076 Turbos and Tial Wastegates to your order below.

Dan,

So the parts listed above (WITHOUT the turbos or Tial Wastegates) is
how much??

thanks in advance, you guys are on the right track with this stuff.

MK

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
Do you offer headers and/or external wastegates for those who want to keep their stock K16s or K24s, but want to take advantage of external wastegates? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
like the project link and picture we did above, we can do a custom set for customers if they want to pay for them. we do have them off the shelf right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New AP/VR 650 Turbo Kit Porsche 996TT