996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I lost 31 lbs and it only cost $300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Thanks, I am sure it will work fine since several other 6speeders have a similar setup and it has a great warranty.

+1

Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
I will post the more details over the new few weeks. I only drive the car once a week so I should be able to evaluate its integrity very quickly.
I keep mine on a porsche trickle at night, and the car has never not started. I run it around town all day 4-5 starts no problem.
on long trips I take a jump pack for saftey.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Tom, I tried to install the same holder that you have but could no get my drill into that small area so I went with the Rennline battery holder. Much more expensive, buy not fabrication needed.

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
jt2
jt2 is infamous around these parts
That's an impressive weight savings, but that battery has almost no reserve. At least not for passenger car duty.

Half an hour of listening to the radio = likely jump start.

Carry cables! Just make sure they're lightweight ones!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
2003tt is infamous around these parts
Looks great.

What are the downsides to such a small battery?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
One downside is its lack of reserve capacity. I would not let the car sit for more that two weeks without starting and a quick drive to recharge. I have gone 4 days and the car starts right up.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Arent you losing weight from the wrong end?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
For track use, maybe. But since I weigh 210lbs I need all of the weigh reduction I can get. I am working on the back now (exhaust).

Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
I've used pc680s on my previous Z cars and currently on my Supra. They're great in weight savings and cranking amps, but they don't last over 10 days of sitting in a car with a good amount of current draw (i.e. MKIV Supra). Supras are notorious for a high current draw while sitting off. The 996 turns off it's remote door lock circuitry after sitting for a few days to lessen current draw, so it might last a bit longer.

The biggest problem with these 680s is they can only take so many "deep" discharges before they start internally shorting their cells (unrepairable). They just hold less and less charge over time once this occurs. The old versions couldn't even take one deep discharge though, so these have come quite some way. I've gone through about 4 of these 680s so far, but I believe if maintained properly, they're still great.

Keep that trickle charger on there and you should be fine. Either that or disconnect the battery connection when you're done driving the car (as I do now).

Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
If I do not disconnect, how long should it last? If 2 years, forget it. I will just buy another one.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
When 680s are fully charged and disconnected...they can be stored for a long time. I wouldn't doubt they'd be fine after two years with minimal voltage loss.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 PM
oops. misread your post. you said if you don't disconnect. It depends on how often you drive the car and if you trickle charge it. If you drive weekly and/or trickle it, it'll last 3-8 years from what I've heard.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
I had it previously on my other car. It died right after warranty period. Towards the end I had to jump my car frequently, stereo sounded bad, etc..

I'd rather take multiple big dumps to save 31lbs than buying another one of these...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
good luck, i had one in my m3 and it lasted, but I had 2 die on me in the worst possible places (GT2). I then just went with the next size up....no trickle charger, just unplug the car when not in use....

Last edited by drjoe; 12-07-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 AM
AntX GT2 is infamous around these parts
When club racing or autocrossing in the summer season my engine bay fan will sometimes run for up to 10 minutes after initial cool down driving/ideling in the pit. Is this battery strong enough to handle the fan going for 10 min inbetween tracking?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I lost 31 lbs and it only cost $300