996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Waste boost kit for K16's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Waste boost kit for K16's

http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/Vie...27812CF3D64%7D

Is this still not helpful for tuned K16's anybody running this ? what is the labor please

Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I do not advise running these on K16s unless you understand that the turbos will fail prematurely.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:13 AM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
From my understanding, you can use these on the K16 without problems. The actuators simply control when the wastegate opens to bleed off boost, so if you are running higher than stock boost levels, these work well. If you are going to run excessively high levels(which 1 bar is not on a K16) then you need something bigger than a K16. These will hold boost better and prevent boost creep.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
You can not avoid surge over boost on ramp up. The wastegate will settle in to 14.7 but the surge will exceed that and when you look at the map of the K16 you are off the map out of the efficiency loop. You can not physically control this if you are trying to open and maintain the same pressure rating. Bottom line is the K16 is running an RPM that exceeds the max and in time will burn the shaft, kill the thrust and the seals will go. The springs open at 14.7 and you can not effectively control surge to maintain 14.7. I other words you cannot expect the turbo to simply stop spooling because the wastegate opens up. In addition to that most programs are setup to hit 1.1 then back down to .9-.8. on the top end. A 1 bar wastegate you will not be able to control the necessary cool down and back off built into the program and the turbos continue to burn themselves up.

There is a defiantly a increase in performance since there is more boost for longer periods of time. Just be aware that you will not have a long life span out of the turbos.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 AM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
I havent seen the compressor maps on the K16, so I didnt know the efficiency was so low. Good call though, Stephen.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like what the wastegates do to the 16s but I also warn my customers so they know up front what will happen. Most do not care

Old 11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
so if I only blow up my K16 bearings and not the engine its not the end of the world right ? how much labor to fit the waste gate boost kit please and has & has anybody actually done this with Upsolute K16s ?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Don't get me wrong, I like what the wastegates do to the 16s but I also warn my customers so they know up front what will happen. Most do not care
Yep. Check. Don't care. Not one bit. Love the power. Hope they blow up soon.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Yep. Check. Don't care. Not one bit. Love the power. Hope they blow up soon.

lmfao

Old 11-18-2007, 05:34 PM
LOL, not the first time I heard that! Richard, correct. You kill the turbo the motor is fine.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
what about kevins k16s ???

Old 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
You kill the turbo the motor is fine.
Unless you blow apart the compressor wheel and it makes it through the throttle body. Not terribly likely though.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
No, but if you are lucky like the TT we just did the shaft snaps and oil fills everything. Damn near hydrolocked the motor! That is a rare case. It will smoke long before then.

We are talking about stock K16s, not hybrids.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
RCH
Banned
you guys need to be optimists

Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Stephen - What kind of life expectancy are we talking about? I plan on running them as loosley possible (no 1.4 bar). turbos have around 30k and have been driven pretty easily most of its life (flashed about 3k ago).

Thanks for your help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Waste boost kit for K16's