996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Advantages of Straight-Pipes with Cats VS a Loud Exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Advantages of Straight-Pipes with Cats VS a Loud Exhaust ?

I saw a red Evoms750 Car on the lift here in CT and it had straight-pipes with cats. Even though i am a quiet drive type of person, i gotta say, its impressive to loose all that weight and have all that empty space in there : >

I figured this would be a good topic. Advantages of like a well made EuroPipe Loud VS Spipies ?

Obviously both are loud, but generally speaking does a quality EU Loud add a nice controlled tone to the exhaust ...

DW

Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Advantages?? Having a good pedal feel and low end torque, having a GOOD sounding exhaust setup, and overall having a good quality system! But hey that's me, and it was evident after my FVD race pipes when I switched back to my FVD export exhaust!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
DW I would search this we have really beaten this topic up pretty bad.
bottom line is this. the best exhaust bang for the buck are straight pipes, period.
50 pounds lighter, cheap, cheap, cheap, max hp.
drawbacks, slight low end torque loss, not noticable by me at least at the track.
only other bad thing is people cant stand the noise for regular daily drivers.
I have run straight pipes for over two years. My car is 90% track driven.
I love the weight loss, sound, and power, as seen above I dont speak for all of us actually I am in the minority here but I thought I would share my 2 cents and that's about what it is worth.

no bumper no exhaust!!

Last edited by tom kerr; 11-19-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Unlike Tom I do 90% of my driving on the street and I still love my Fabspeed straight pipes! Is it loud YES, does it drone YES do I love it YES!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 AM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Nice feedback, thx, it got me thinking so i wanted to hear your thoughts on that.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
VKA
VKA is infamous around these parts
I've been running straight pipes with 150 cell cats for about two months now. My gas mileage is up, my power is up (slightly) and my hearing is down.

If you are creative with gear choices and throttle pressure you can minimize the drone. On city streets I find myself in sixth a lot more than I used to. Pulling up next to a police car at a light requires an egg between your foot and the accelerator.

I will say though, that it is impressive (and fun) to blast off at WOT. Scares the ^&%? out of anyone around (including me).

I will likely put sport mufflers on the car. I travel up a hill to get to my house and the neighbors stand in their yards with their hands on their ears every time.