996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

For 700hp...bottom line, how much $$$?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:00 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I have a friend who have the Protomotive K24/20g full build... with lots of hours on it devoted by Todd Knighton of protomotive. This is the only one of it's kind. It put down 640 rwhp at 1.5 bars and and ran a 140 mph trap at the strip. The turbos alone were custom made and very special parts ment into them.... ( not just stock 20g compressor).
This car has not been beaten on the street yet in Tulsa by any street car.
The owner had 5 cars and is willing to sell it. I drove the car....
This is a very special car. I would buy if I didnt have one... and you dont have to wait 3 to 5 months for the build out either.
markski
I wish the build was only 5 months . I am still waiting for my cams to be completed..Happy Turkey day.
R

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschenut911
Thread reads crank
come again?

I was asking because yes, theres a bottom line to getting a dyno sheet with700hp printed on it, but at some point your going to have to put in new brakes, coil overs, possibly adding rims, body kits what not. just seeing how far he wants to go.

Most people aim before shooting.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shark01
WTF?.......Are you serious? The depreciation rate for a 997TT over the next 5 years will be 3-4X what the 996TT will be. Already, you see 997TTs trading for close to $100k.
Not to chime in and play devils advocate but if you bought a base 997TT with a few miles, you do some external mods and you have a really fast car...buy a 996TT for 65k and dump 40k into it and you also have a really fast car however the car is still worth 65k the 997TT will not loose 40k in value for at least 3 years out as well you have a warranty in the modded
car when you blow something up as has happened on occassion you pay.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Marc
Not to chime in and play devils advocate but if you bought a base 997TT with a few miles, you do some external mods and you have a really fast car...buy a 996TT for 65k and dump 40k into it and you also have a really fast car however the car is still worth 65k the 997TT will not loose 40k in value for at least 3 years out as well you have a warranty in the modded
car when you blow something up as has happened on occassion you pay.
If you think a 997 w/ a few bolt ons will hang w/ a 996 and 40K worth of mods than please step away from the crack pipe.

997TT's are great cars, and w/ an exhuast and flash make very respectable power...but a 996 TT/GT2 w/ a GT700 will put two buslengths from 60-150.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:42 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Thanks a lot guys for all the help. Seems like my best bet then is to sit and hang tight and when Spring comes around I'll check the classifieds and ask around for a nicely modded 996TT. There are a few local guys who live in NJ and Long Island who have Protomotive TT's and such and I know they're thinking about selling so that'll probably save me a lot of time and money.

Markski, I'm not in the market just yet but I want to get a feel for what I can get and how much its going to cost me. If that guy still has his car for sale in Spring time, I'll definitely shoot you a PM.

Thanks everyone. Hope you all had a very nice Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
A simple but very telling story...

Texas Mile this year:
Todd Zuccone's personal highly modded 997TT == 187 mph
My 996TT == 190.7
any questions ??

same day, conditions, etc

Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Nice!!!!!!!.................

Old 11-23-2007, 11:44 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

Texas Mile this year:
My 996TT == 190.7
any questions ??

Yours is strictly a Protomotive 700 996TT?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough

Texas Mile this year:
My 996TT == 190.7
any questions ??

same drivers?

Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !

Texas Mile this year:
My 996TT == 190.7
any questions ??

Marty,
Just curious, What do you mean by highly modded on Todd's 997?

Tom

Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by topgun
Marty,

Tom
When they were racing there 997 they were striping the car. I was there and watch them take off stuff from side view mirrows etc.... as far as enging mods it was there EVT S4 with some special sauce? This was there setup that ran 10.97 @ 127. I dont know if this helps?
Happy Holidays
R

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
Marty,

Tom
You know ......the whole shop car thing........although Marty did show up with a can of "whoop ***" that day.Bottom line is the 997 TT is in the infancy stages of aftermarket tuning but will probably pass the 996 if given a few years.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:45 PM
forhamilton is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by joetwint
You know ......the whole shop car thing........although Marty did show up with a can of "whoop ***" that day.Bottom line is the 997 TT is in the infancy stages of aftermarket tuning but will probably pass the 996 if given a few years.
Very, very, very true. Might be time to shop for a 997tt in about 18 months.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by joetwint

Joe
Why would the 997 be faster than a 996? They are basically the same platform. Just curious to know? You will only get so much out of those variable turbos and will eventually have to change to larger turbos if you want to make higher horsepower.
cheers

Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Joe
Why would the 997 be faster than a 996? They are basically the same platform. Just curious to know? You will only get so much out of those variable turbos and will eventually have to change to larger turbos if you want to make higher horsepower.
cheers
Rob....The ecu is more sophisticated and the Evoms 997 twin with just minor changes to the vtg's plus is making over 620awhp now and could push it more but they are worried about the internals.I have been told(by Evo) the car adapts to changes better than the 996tt.We shall see with time when more guys push the platform.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For 700hp...bottom line, how much $$$?