996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is the best way to power launch a Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:19 AM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
What is the best way to power launch a Tiptronic?

Just curious what kind of various techniques people have used to launch an automatic transmissioned car.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:10 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
just make sure u are in 1st gear cuz tip starts 2nd automatically all the time.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:08 AM
Paul S-in TX is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 20C4S
just make sure u are in 1st gear cuz tip starts 2nd automatically all the time.
The Tip does not start in 2nd all the time. Only when you're driving like Granny, or possibly in slippery conditions.

In the auto mode, if you floor it, or really even accelerate from a dead stop at something slightly over half throttle, in the milli-second before the car moves the tip goes into 1st. Every single time.

I'm not sure if power braking affects it or not (because I don't do that--I drive my Turbo hard but to me that constitutes abuse, and I don't do that).

I never have to "put" the tip on my Turbo into 1st gear for a takeoff (unless you're not using much "gas pedal"; and why you'd drive like granny but still want to start in 1st gear is a mystery to me).

BTW, my 02 Boxster S Tip works the same way also.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:23 AM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Kevin,

As for power braking, what would be a reasonably safe limit in terms of engine RPM, and also do you know if that makes a significant difference vs. a regular launch?

Old 05-27-2004, 06:47 AM
SpeedGallery is infamous around these parts
launching a tip

hold the e-brake up

Old 05-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Speed,

What is the advantage of that approach vs. using regular brakes.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM
SpeedGallery is infamous around these parts
2-3 hundred rpm. every little bit helps

Old 05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hehe thanks Kevin.

Well it's not as easy as it sounds and it takes a few goes to get it right because you have to go through a checklist and sequence as such but here goes. Turn the PSM off. Come to a complete stop (obviously) and pull up the hand brake. Mash and I do mean MASH the brake pedal (this is important and stops the car from moving beyond 2k) as hard as you can and keep your foot there. Push the gas pedal as hard as you can without the car breaking loose and you can also try tapping on it first to try and build boost. Sit like the for a while and at the point it starts to break loose drop the the hand brake and release the brake pedal in the same motion whilst you are fullying pushing down on the gas. I don't know what kind of car yours is but stock I was able to build about .4bar of boost before heading off. I could high stall up to about 3k before she would start moving. Now I can build about .8bar of boost and stall to 3.5k before letting go. The car _will_ get squirly so make any corrections nice and lightly...
You can try it manual mode later on once you get the launch right. I actually find it better in manual mode sometimes...

Watch the videos over racingflix.com (there's plenty of the car launching). Speaking of launching, I got a couple of short clips of it doing just that yesterday. I'll show you the fronts almost lifting later...

Last edited by sharkster; 05-27-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The videos are here btw:

Just look for the shootout and drag racing ones:
http://www.racingflix.com/featuredride.asp

PS I love Kevin's commentary during one of the runs lol. "Weeeee... man 2nd gear just...".

Old 05-27-2004, 02:46 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
What is the reason for using the handbrake? Won't the brakes hold it still with the power on?

Old 05-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Ebaker... no they won't trust me. I've been there and done it The car will start moving at around 2400rpms...