996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

tiptronic turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
N Ireland D is infamous around these parts
tiptronic turbo

how much horse power can a tiptronic 996 turbo run without doing damage to the gearbox

Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Ask Sharkster and Craig I think it's about 800HP

Old 12-01-2007, 02:58 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
700 confirmed

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by N Ireland D
how much horse power can a tiptronic 996 turbo run without doing damage to the gearbox
I think the clutch needs to be upgraded from stock but the "gearbox" should be ok unless you mess up shifting which would be tough in a tip!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 AM
purplec320 is infamous around these parts
I would say don't do anything over 600HP just to be safe...

Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
The Tiptronic Box is the same box thats in the Merc SL600 (Think it's the SL600), It actually has a Merc stamp on the Box, I have had discussions with Alex before regarding it, and i'm sure he mentioned it's good for roughly 700.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM
cheeres guys, at the minute i'm running 500hp with milltek exaust and schnell headers with remap, but tuners says not sure if gearbox would stick changing turbos for more break horse power!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
If the gearbox can handle the torque of a TT 5.5L V12, I'm sure it can handle a little ol' 3.6 TT flat-6.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
powerstar is infamous around these parts
the tiptronic gearbox of my father's stock 996 tts broke after 60.000km

Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
I believe that is the first I have heard of a tip garbox breaking that was not running some nasty horsepower. Any diagnosis as to why it broke?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
The 5 speed gearbox of the SL600 can handle roughly 900 crank torque. After that you need to get it strengthened. I would say at 700 hp and tq you should have it worked on. Mercedes tuners like Renntech do a tranny strengthening so I would have them look at it if you have that much hp.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:02 PM
seems to me most people think it should take more than 500hp so mybe put a set of big turbos on after all

Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Bringing up an old thread about power upgrades damaging tiptronic gearboxes.

My 2002 Tiptronic has 45K miles (so no longer "young" but not old either) and I'm about to commit to a hybrid turbo tune (UWM or EPL still undecided), and I have heard from a few of the local Australian tuners to be very careful with a tiptronic car with over 550hp especially an older car.

So I want to double check with tiptronic people who have a mid level tune 500hp - 600hp crank to see if there has been any transmission problems, especially after a couple of years use.

I'd appreciate it if you have a tuned tip with more than a flash, if you can reply to this thread with the following info:
- Approximate HP of your tune
- Current age & mileage of your car
- What mileage did you get your tune fitted
- Any transmission issues.

If there are enough replies with the info above it should be enough to assess if it has been long enough to determine if a mid power tune will have a long term damaging effect on the tip.

Also, if something was to go, is it likely to be just the torque converter or would the gearing go (which would be more expensive). Any ideas on costs for fixing a transmission that breaks due to too much power?

Thanks for the input!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deandob
Bringing up an old thread about power upgrades damaging tiptronic gearboxes.

My 2002 Tiptronic has 45K miles (so no longer "young" but not old either) and I'm about to commit to a hybrid turbo tune (UWM or EPL still undecided), and I have heard from a few of the local Australian tuners to be very careful with a tiptronic car with over 550hp especially an older car.

So I want to double check with tiptronic people who have a mid level tune 500hp - 600hp crank to see if there has been any transmission problems, especially after a couple of years use.

I'd appreciate it if you have a tuned tip with more than a flash, if you can reply to this thread with the following info:

If there are enough replies with the info above it should be enough to assess if it has been long enough to determine if a mid power tune will have a long term damaging effect on the tip.

Also, if something was to go, is it likely to be just the torque converter or would the gearing go (which would be more expensive). Any ideas on costs for fixing a transmission that breaks due to too much power?

Thanks for the input!
2000 996TT tip, approx 74,000km. 15,000km of very hard track driving and daily driving on approx 650bhp engine tuning (car was running close to 800bhp at one stage but was detuned due to engine problems, not tranny issues. No transmission issues.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:46 AM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Hi Harold, that is one mean tiptronic car you have. My car's previous owners were fairly sedate with my car (from what I can tell) and the transmission seems tight, so I'm hoping my planned 550/600hp (crank) upgrade will not unduly wear the transmission. It also makes common sense if you don't slam the car in first gear, or do too many brake boosting starts there will be less chance of wear.

Any other tiptronic owners with a strong tune care to chime in with the following info:

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tiptronic turbo