996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Road Atlanta 12/1/07 (On a mission) (Long, but worth it)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Road Atlanta 12/1/07 (On a mission) (Long, but worth it)

Well I set out today in order to have a last shakedown run before the winter set in and more mods were added to the car. I posted my drama with the Sport Cups, but I did use them and didnt pull out the slicks, though I'd like to see what I could have done with them. We only got 3 live sessions today because we were behind schedule, but they were LONG sessions to make up for lost time in the first lead/follow session.

I would normaly not be so stressed about times, but my car is a time trial car and times are what count, and RA is a track that I hope to get a record at one day even though that MTI Vette is a BEAST!!!

My previous best was a 1:35.6 run at NASA time trials in August on 24 cycle old Hoosier R3's, I knew there was plenty more left to be had, I never really got a chance to break the sport cups in last time out and only managed a 1:36.0 on them that weekend. My goal this weekend was to run a 1:33.anything So here is where the Road Atlanta story takes over.

Session 2- I really only wanted to get the tires warm as they didnt even get lukewarm after that first lead follow session (we followed MX-5 cup cars in groups of 5, the MX-5's handle well, but are slow). It was pretty cold (50's) and sport cups are already hard to get heat into. I felt like I was driving like crap, I was all over the place fighting the tires, had no confidence in them whatsoever, but the times I wasnt fighting the tires, I was very smooth even in the crappiness. When I got back to pit lane, checked the traqmate and had run three consecutive laps faster than my previous fastest (1:35.2, 1:35.4, 1:35.6), which really stunned me because I was passing several people and knew much faster had to be coming, and soon. (even botched a shift once, missing 3rd 2 times 1:35.6) When I got there that morning, my expectations had dimmed a bit, but after that session, I knew it was going to be a fun day.

Session 3- This one was a hair pulling session, I could not find open track for anything, everytime I'd get going good, I'd run into traffic, we got a good long session, but I felt my brakes grinding, so I got off early to switch pads. I got one good lap in that was a 1:35.2 again.

FINAL SESSION:

I was determined to at least run well into the 1:34's, the sport cups were finally starting to feel stable and me being comfy with the limit. I gave Neil's wife a ride for 4 of laps to further bed the brakes in, and warm the car and tires up. When I dropped her off in the pits the car was ready to go, I took off out of pit lane ready to go. I came out right in a wide open spot, so I stayed there until I was ready for a hot lap, got a good run on it, the lap was a little sloppy because I was trying too hard, but I ran a 1:34.1 on my first real try clean lap. I was extremely excited now because I knew the 1:33's were a itch and a scratch away. However, the group had gotten spread out and for a few laps I couldnt do better than a 1:43 or so for having to slow down for several turns that had no allowable passing zones.

Then I got blacked flagged because a corner worker thought my brake ducts were dragging debris. When I left the pits, I came out right in front of a pro driver in a 996 GT3 who has run some mid 1:30's and races pro in germany at the ring, and right behind the MTI 454 CI Z06, WOOHOOO!!!! I rode the vette through the esses which up to this point I had never been able to keep up, he let off and let me by, I dont think he was on a flying lap though, so I dont know what happened there. Got to turn 9 and passed a 944 only to see another black flag (PISSED) but this time it wasnt for me, but I had already entered pit lane, so I took off out of pit lane real fast once again.

Finally I found some open room and went for it again. My traqmate has a qualifying feature that tells you how far ahead or behind you are of your fastest lap (-) behind, (+) ahead. I didnt realize the + was good until I went very slow and the (-)seconds started adding up fast. But while I was on this particular fast lap, coming out of turn 7, I was + .3 seconds ahead, and the math tells me that that is 1:33.8, so my foot suddenly got heavier. But as I come around turn 8 I see slower cars in turn 9(backstretch), I am just hoping I'm not catching them fast enough to get caught up before I get to the finish line. But I'm gaining ground like a bandit. SURE ENOUGH, I catch the car in the braking zone at 10a, and have to slow and watch the (-) seconds start to pile up. That lap ended up being a 1:46 I lost almost 13 seconds from turn 10 to turn 12 from getting held up. Well at this point I know the session has got to be ending soon, so I question if I can get another lap in (well I would need two because the hold up from that last lap killed the start of the next lap). I remembered there was lots of room behind the car that held me up, so I just followed and let him pull as far away as possible to leave enough room for a clean lap. The car was long out of site, and I had to speed up going back into turn 10 to get a run on what would be my final hot lap of the day. A lotus appeared in the rear view forcing me to start going faster a little sooner than I otherwise would have, but I figured I created enough distance to get a full clean lap.

Here goes:

I get one of the best runs on turn 12 I have gotten all day and the clock starts, turn one I take in 4th gear by advice of the instructors and I carry much more speed than I had been for most of the day, I get great entry into turn 3 and use the curbing as well as I have all day as well. I take turn 3 like a bat out of hell, which I have really started excelling at today, before I get to turn 6, I look down and I'm as fast as I was the last lap already, I make 6 my best of the day as well, the car feels like it's knows full well what I'm trying to do, gripping the pavement like a roller coaster. I absolutely murdered (in a good way), the toughest turn on the track (turn 7), and while starting down the backstretch I see the +.3 jump to +.4 and that momentum crawls to + .5 as I come around turn 8 . ONLY TO SEE THE SAME TRAFFIC FROM BEFORE IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT!!!!!!!!! And though I kept hope that I wouldnt catch up that fast again, the same thing happened, only faster. Then came the checkered flag on that lap. ABSOLUTELY HURT to see the seconds pile up again, I pondered just getting black flagged and passing in 11 and just getting the black flag and taking it home as a reward (but I wouldnt put anyone else in danger like that).

I didnt sign up to drive tommorow for impending rain, but the forcast has changed, I may just do it so I can see the 1:33, because it doesnt exist until I do it, no matter how much I know I was ahead. I had the worst turn 1 day since I've started driving RA so I may have a 1/2 second to gain there and may actually be able to run a 1:32.9 on a perfect lap, but I havent decided if I want to go ahead and do it or not. 1:32 would put within an eyelash of the current TTU record and on SPORT CUPS, I'll be running much faster tires when the Time Trials roll around again.

Should I do it????????????

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-01-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Oh and my mods for those that dont know.

Orton ECU
K24's
PSI Loud
GT2 front brakes
JIC Cross Coilovers
H&R 25 mm rear sway
Brake cooling ducts (holes)
GT3 RS brake cooling ducts
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Sachs Clutch a 964 RS LWFW

3610-3580 weight (depending on gas)
-3.0 front and 2.5 rear camber
PSM off (at least the button)

By the time spring hits:

Orton subframe bushings
GT3 lower control arms
JRZ Coilovers
Roll Bar
Sparco racing seats
SLICKS!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I am in the same situation at NASA in Sebring for the upcoming season. I am going to not race the 944 Cup Challenge to do the TT series. That's why I am juicing up the hp.
From what you blogged I would say you biggest problem is you are too stressed!!
Your best lap times come from smooth none stressed laps when you are not looking at trackmate or trying to actually make up time.
When I am behind on a lap and trying to catch up I usually go off track.
Relax, settle down your times will improve!!

My current plan (other than an additional 100hp) is Pro coaching. With a pro coach and data analysis this is where you pick up your extra 1-2 seconds. the coach analyzes everything every foot of the track and then you really get it down!!

also too cold for the Cups up there now so also another factor, but the TT loves the cold air.

It is 82 here today and I'm off to Daytona next week and Sebring the following week, come on down and drive with me!!!!

keep at it and relax!!!!!

ps is your picture on my pic thread!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Oh and my mods for those that dont know.

Orton ECU
K24's
PSI Loud
GT2 front brakes
JIC Cross Coilovers
H&R 25 mm rear sway
Brake cooling ducts (holes)
GT3 RS brake cooling ducts
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Sachs Clutch a 964 RS LWFW

3610-3580 weight (depending on gas)
-3.0 front and 2.5 rear camber
PSM off (at least the button)

By the time spring hits:

Orton subframe bushings
GT3 lower control arms
JRZ Coilovers
Roll Bar
Sparco racing seats
SLICKS!!!!!!!!!
We have near identical cars..........Go to hybrid turbos and loose some weight (off the car) and did I mention Pro driving lessons!! Slicks are great but going from Cup tires to Hoosiers is a big upgrade also. I have never run slicks.

Will be interesting to see how the JRZ's improve times. I held on motons and went with your suspension set up thinking when I drove better (like you) I would change to motons. I predict the JRZ change may give another 1 second off your time. But would also add that besides pro coaching you obviously need your car set up by a pro race team shop to race car specs.
no sissy street cambers when I had this done with the corner balance my front cambers where -2.5 and -3.5 in the rear. Not exactly what you would drive around on the street with but huge difference on the track.

What seats and harnesses are you using?? if you dont have race seats and harnesses you will never be able to relax behind the wheel and get good times. you are wasting too much effort trying to stay in your seat!!! The seats and roll bar and harness is one of the first upgrades you need. Also consider a HANS device once you start running the harnesses.

Also, add a fire extinquisher and 3 layer driving suit if you are not already just for saftey.

You are welcome to try some NASA events in my car down at Sebring, let me know!

Good luck tomorrow!!
Just giving you the same advise I gave myself (my 2 cents for what it is worth)
Next move for us is racing Cup cars!!!!!

Last edited by tom kerr; 12-01-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Man Tom, you sure know how to call a guy out. You said exactly everything I know I should be doing. Considering this is my first year of real tracking and for sure competing, I feel I have made some good progress, but pro coaching would take me to that next level, I do not have the harnesses and roll bar yet, only because I cant decide which race seats to get and want to do them at the same time, but come January, I'll have them both. But you are right, I have gotten so used to bracing myself, it's second nature.

I know I'd be better off relaxing, but occasionally going into a turn "too fast" and realizing you can carry more speed than you had been is always a good thing (as long as you dont crash). The TT's with the right setup can be pure devastation on the track, and that's exactly what mine will be.

I had planned to do the Nasa at Sebring some point this year, and the same offer applies for RA if you come up, but I'll make it down there before the end of 08'. Looking forward to it! I was really wanting to come and get that TTU record down there to represent, but I'm sure you can take care of that, though I want to run it anyways and Time Trial is my favorite.

-I am running -3.0 front and -2.5 rear, and it's incredible.
-Neil Corner Balanced my car for the first time and it made tons of difference.
-A few more suspension tweaks and a little less weight and I cant imagine what this car will do

Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Tom, did you get hybrids?

Are you going to?

So much for easy on the mods huh??? I knew you wouldnt make it. I'm proud of ya.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:08 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Good luck to both of our forums most dedicated track drivers.

Thank you for sharing!

MK

Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Awesome write-up. Thanks for the insight. You will easily reach your time with a clean run without the mods. After the mods......... watchout.

Curious what kind of times the MTI 454 runs.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Tom,

I wonder if you guys would be satisfied with a momentum style of racing? You are both used to a lot of track power and speed. It would certainly make better dirvers of you but would it really satisfy?

I'm wrestling with similar issues for possibly the '09 season. Turbo Porsche track cars start out and continue to be real expensive to own and operate.

Dez will probably have some reporting to do later this evening. I'll let him do his own editorial.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
cgmeredithjr is infamous around these parts
Dez, Al, Neil, it was good seeing you guys Saturday...Neil thanks for the help pull starting the "E85" Mitsu*****y, sorry the EVO didn't want to cooperate, maybe next time. Dez, did you run today also, if so, how did your times progress?

Cleve

Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
From what I heard Reece was running 1:30.xx (~650 rwhp, 2800 lbs w/ driver). He'll have to add some weight and or remove some hp to run that in TTU this year so I still have a chance to get the record if he doesnt improve. (TTU weight to power limit 5.5, he is 4.46).

But OMG is that thing fast, he'll be 1:29's for sure when he gets used to it, I'll be able to keep up better at Barber where there arent so many straights, he pulls on me, but not too bad.

But I did end up running today too and managed a 1:33.6, amongst a bunch of obstructed laps. I think it has a 1:32 in it as it sits right now. I'll be adding Non DOT slicks for time trials this year, and I surely have a shot at a track record with those.

I ran 5 or 6 1:34's in a row prompting a gentleman to offer me a seat racing in the PBOC (In a 700 hp C6Z no less), so hopefully that materializes. (we had known each other before, so he knew I was pretty fast).

Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
From what I heard Reece was running 1:30.xx (~650 rwhp, 2800 lbs w/ driver). He'll have to add some weight and or remove some hp to run that in TTU this year so I still have a chance to get the record if he doesnt improve. (TTU weight to power limit 5.5, he is 4.46).

But OMG is that thing fast, he'll be 1:29's for sure when he gets used to it, I'll be able to keep up better at Barber where there arent so many straights, he pulls on me, but not too bad.

But I did end up running today too and managed a 1:33.6, amongst a bunch of obstructed laps. I think it has a 1:32 in it as it sits right now. I'll be adding Non DOT slicks for time trials this year, and I surely have a shot at a track record with those.

I ran 5 or 6 1:34's in a row prompting a gentleman to offer me a seat racing in the PBOC (In a 700 hp C6Z no less), so hopefully that materializes. (we had known each other before, so he knew I was pretty fast).
Awesome Dez, now I'm even more pissed off that the the EVO kept having intercooler issues all day, and wish that I could have gotten out there with you for some laps. I bet the EVO has some 1:33-34s in her..oh well, I'll just have to wait till the January PCA event to find out.

Cleve

Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
OT,

Cleve,

Who owns your awesome old GT2?

Nice runs Dez, you are going to have alot of fun next year!

MK

Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
OT,

Cleve,

Who owns your awesome old GT2?

Nice runs Dez, you are going to have alot of fun next year!

MK
Woodster,

Claus Wagner bought the GT2. He is on this site sometimes.

Cleve

Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Heavychevy - Sounds like you are having a lot of fun. Good luck on getting the track record - I have a feeling you are going to get it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta 12/1/07 (On a mission) (Long, but worth it)