996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Installing K16/K24 Hybrids...need Software advice...Sponsors/Tuners enter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Interesting that you (teklogik) mention Upsolute by name...any evidence that their programming has resulted in "clankity clank?" I recall CELs early on (5 yrs ago) but no engine failures that I know of. Although there are several Upsolute bashers on 6speed, Upsolute has a good product and is well regarded in Europe.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 AM
techlogik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Interesting that you (teklogik) mention Upsolute by name...any evidence that their programming has resulted in "clankity clank?" I recall CELs early on (5 yrs ago) but no engine failures that I know of. Although there are several Upsolute bashers on 6speed, Upsolute has a good product and is well regarded in Europe.
You are reading too much into that...I just happened to mention them as an example. It could be UWM, FVD, GIAC etc etc..if the tune isn't for the exact setup..you risk having problems. Upsolute happened to be one name as an example of something..nothing more, nothing less.

Really just a basic post about the Otto 4 stroke engine and principles of operation, then apply that to all sorts of tune, mods, conditions etc..makes for possible bad things to occur. Tuners try to make the tune conservative and rely on the ECU/sensors to do it's job to prevent knock..but no guarantee they will do that for the particular modifications done on the engine with a generic map they throw on most ECUs.

Someone posted a dyno of a GIAC tune on the same turbos on page 2 of the discussion. Notice in that dyno the AFR going way down to 10..very rich for the circumstance/rpm/timing, and the power then immediately dips down. It appeared to start pulling timing and worked itself out due to the rich condition as it progressed. But that is a classic post top dead center detonation situation. There is too much fuel which takes longer to burn and the timing ignited it too late. It didn't reach optimum explosion after it piston went past TDC...that is no good also. Hence, loss of power/efficiency. Witout CATS, there may be some cool flames coming out of the exhaust though..haha.

Just another example, GIAC in this case, of an incorrect tune on a particularly hardware and pitfalls to be wary of. Hence, having the AFR would be helpful. Yes, I meant to mention GIAC in this particular example.

Thanks

Last edited by techlogik; 12-16-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:25 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by techlogik

Just another example, GIAC in this case, of an incorrect tune on a particularly hardware and pitfalls to be wary of. Hence, having the AFR would be helpful.
That is correct and most of the time the problem is everyone thinks they are a tuner these days........changing the packages they buy and running them with hardware they were intended for.Too bad just an afr gauge won't tell you everything.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:09 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by joetwint
That is correct and most of the time the problem is everyone thinks they are a tuner these days........changing the packages they buy and running them with hardware they were intended for.Too bad just an afr gauge won't tell you everything.

I 100% agree...knowing how much boost you're running and what your a/f is really only gives you at best 20% of what is really going on in your engine.

More focus needs to be put on data logging/acquisition in this market. The tuning in the 996 market is far behind where it should/needs to be.

Being able to review a tuners work through data logs will quickly weed out the tunes that shouldnt be running on certain set ups.

If you own a high horse power car, you should be checking how the car is running VERY often.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
the problem is everyone thinks they are a tuner these days........
You sound jealous. You will never be a tuner, just accept your limitations and move on

Old 12-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Any K24 flash will do just fine. No need for anything custom IMO.

Adam TKDALUM was running a K24 flash with his 16/24s and the car ran great. Better spool than K24s with almost the same power up high.

It's great setup due to less lag than a K24 resulting in much better throttle response. The only other difference I can think of might be that the hot side of the K16 may be a little more restrictive in the exhaust thus slightly less total power.

Two identical cars: the camera car is running K24s and the other car is 16/24s http://youtube.com/watch?v=5dqN9iw3JcQ

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-16-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Was this a K24 or K16 flash?

Originally Posted by techlogik
You are reading too much into that...I just happened to mention them as an example. It could be UWM, FVD, GIAC etc etc..if the tune isn't for the exact setup..you risk having problems. Upsolute happened to be one name as an example of something..nothing more, nothing less.

Really just a basic post about the Otto 4 stroke engine and principles of operation, then apply that to all sorts of tune, mods, conditions etc..makes for possible bad things to occur. Tuners try to make the tune conservative and rely on the ECU/sensors to do it's job to prevent knock..but no guarantee they will do that for the particular modifications done on the engine with a generic map they throw on most ECUs.

Someone posted a dyno of a GIAC tune on the same turbos on page 2 of the discussion. Notice in that dyno the AFR going way down to 10..very rich for the circumstance/rpm/timing, and the power then immediately dips down. It appeared to start pulling timing and worked itself out due to the rich condition as it progressed. But that is a classic post top dead center detonation situation. There is too much fuel which takes longer to burn and the timing ignited it too late. It didn't reach optimum explosion after it piston went past TDC...that is no good also. Hence, loss of power/efficiency. Witout CATS, there may be some cool flames coming out of the exhaust though..haha.

Just another example, GIAC in this case, of an incorrect tune on a particularly hardware and pitfalls to be wary of. Hence, having the AFR would be helpful. Yes, I meant to mention GIAC in this particular example.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ari
Any K24 flash will do just fine. No need for anything custom IMO.

Adam TKDALUM was running a K24 flash with his 16/24s and the car ran great. Better spool than K24s with almost the same power up high.

It's great setup due to less lag than a K24 resulting in much better throttle response. The only other difference I can think of might be that the hot side of the K16 may be a little more restrictive in the exhaust thus slightly less total power.

Two identical cars: the camera car is running K24s and the other car is 16/24s http://youtube.com/watch?v=5dqN9iw3JcQ

A custom tune should always be used on ANY set up when ever possible. It will ALWAYS net power.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:17 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
A custom tune should always be used on ANY set up when ever possible. It will ALWAYS net power.
Tony
I agree with you 100 percent. Hmm It is like going to a drive through car wash vs a hand wash with detailing... a HUGE difference
R

Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM
N Ireland D is infamous around these parts
i Agree a custom tune is best,!!! The good thing about 996tt is the engine is so strong and robust its hard to notice when something is wrong!!!But maybe thats a bad Thing!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:40 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Highhats
Elliot the car should be running stead 11.8 on pump gas. My motor was fine till I opened her up and saw the damage. Come on stephen show these guys pics of my motor opened. PS any tuner come on here and comment on going 13.2 coming onto boost at peak tq. they will say r u kidding me on a Porsche WHAT DO U WANT TO BLOW IT UP.

S
This information is correct. Mid 11 AFRs are where you want to tune an aspirated engine while on boost. Monitoring your AFRs with a wideband AFR gauge in the car is nesessary anytime you modify the fuel maps, fuel delivery components, turbos, or boost levels.

John H

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Highhats
I hear you john. but 12.5 is afr you run these P cars on race gas not pump. <snip>

S
Unlike the previous post of yours I agreed with, this one isn't correct. 12.5 AFRs on gas [pump or race] aren't safe. If you're running a 12.5 AFR on pump gas, you will most likely run leaner on race gas. If it's oxygenated race gas such as VP Import and many others, you will run leaner and that is a fact. Race gas will allow your car to run safer with increased boost and advanced timing, but not higher AFRs.

John H

Old 12-23-2007, 12:20 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John H.
Race gas will allow your car to run safer with increased boost and advanced timing, but not higher AFRs.
Well said John. AFR is just a ratio of air to fuel, not a ratio of air to fuel that takes into consideration octane...

Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
god help me do i have to go back to kevin for a tune on myk16/24s that i paid for twice.have giac flash that has a race file i use for 100 oct, does kevin offer this , can i use my old cable to change files? i somtimes need to run pump gas so being able to change files is a big deal to me...the giac file has been good to me but always looking for something better... just don't want to give kevin anymore $$$ and to be honest i'm afraid of what i might get in return

Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
It would be unlikely that any vendor, whether or not they are a sponsor here or not, would take a unhappy customer back after repeated criticism and bashing on an open forum.

Last edited by bbywu; 09-19-2010 at 04:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing K16/K24 Hybrids...need Software advice...Sponsors/Tuners enter