996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

60 to 130 - December 8 - Lonestar Results and Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Thanks, I was running 93.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Sideways has a spectacular aura aboutSideways has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Ryan,

I am going to look into a larger blower for the M3 (she currently has the Vortech T-Trim).

Have Vortech upgrade it to the T-trim. It adds some boost and additional flow without needing to change the mounting and accessories.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:33 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by houstonT
Sean, your first shift was 0.19 seconds and you're second shift was 0.31 seconds. Pretty darn impressive if you ask me! I think the M3 has a low 9 in it, but I'm not sure it has any more than that in perfect conditions (meaning in its current state). In any event, that is a daily that is faster than a Z06 and Viper on the street and is very impressive.

Jon - amen brother...

Ryan - in 20 degree colder weather, DEPENDING ON TRACTION, you should be in the 8's.

Peter
Peter, how are you calculating that? It takes that SMG .2 to get into the next gear and another .4 to get back up to speed. It take a bit longer on the second shift. If you're just calculating the time it takes to drop G's, then all of us who shift our cars would look like heros

Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Jamie, I'm doing it the only way you can with the data that we have. I can break the graphs down to such detail that I can see the hundred thousandths place (time). I am looking at the time at which the acceleration stops and measuring the time until the acceleration starts again. I'm also taking into account longitudinal G's as they help paint when the shift starts/ends. It's a rough number but I bet it's damn close to what's actually going on...
Peter

Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Jamie, I'm doing it the only way you can with the data that we have. I can break the graphs down to such detail that I can see the hundred thousandths place (time). I am looking at the time at which the acceleration stops and measuring the time until the acceleration starts again. I'm also taking into account longitudinal G's as they help paint when the shift starts/ends. It's a rough number but I bet it's damn close to what's actually going on...
Peter
Right, that's what I thought you were calculating. The issue is you are only accounting for half the equation!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Interesting....my calculations were .4. I can tell you, having actually been in the car at the time is that the shifts were slow.

It seems that the big advantages of the SMG are twofold: For pure performance, the benefits are on the track where the SMG will rev-match on downshifts for those of us who aren't experts at heel toeing (which is what SMG was originally designed for). I can't wait to get her on TWS, Peter.

The second benefit is that you can drive like the typical fat lazy and stupid American (not meaning to be unpatriotic here folks). I can literally eat a sandwich while racing the endless supply of rice mobiles that want to run me. I swear, this car is a magnet for teen racers.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 12-10-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Oh, and before Jamie calls me a "typical American" I have now lost 11 pounds in the last 8 weeks

Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Looking at the graph my car gets to 125 in 8.4....the last shift kills me!

Going to get the plugs and the missing 5 pounds of boost (car is supposed to make 22lbs) and hopefully figure out a way to hit 130 in 4th.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Jamie, help me understand...I'm not as smart as you!!!!
Peter

Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Right, that's what I thought you were calculating. The issue is you are only accounting for half the equation!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Jamie, help me understand...I'm not as smart as you!!!!
Peter
Ok smart ***! Just you look at Sean's graph. His SMG shifts at 2.6 seconds and recovers at 3.2. Technically it takes .2 sec to drop the G's to zero, then another .4 to bring it back up. His foot never lifted off the right pedal. That's no F1 transmission, that's for sure

If we manually shift a car, power shifting vs. slowly getting back onto the gas would have a huge impact on shift time irregardless of how quickly we actually moved the gearshift.

On another note, it would be interesting to see a CVT data log.....

Old 12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
LOL, I was being serious, I wasn't sure I understood what you were talking about... I think a more accurate way to look at it is to use the MPH line as opposed to using the G line. With the MPH line, it's CUT/DRY.......although not a perfect way to measure, it's damn close. Acceleration stops with the shift starts....acceleration resumes when the shift is complete. Using the G graph, it's a "guess" as to when the car is actually in gear and accelerating again. At 3.2 he's a PEAK G in the next gear, but at that point he had been IN GEAR for some time and on the throttle for some time. It would NOT make sense to say that the shift took until 3.2 seconds on the graph... Make sense?
Peter

Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Ok smart ***! Just you look at Sean's graph. His SMG shifts at 2.6 seconds and recovers at 3.2. Technically it takes .2 sec to drop the G's to zero, then another .4 to bring it back up. His foot never lifted off the right pedal. That's no F1 transmission, that's for sure

If we manually shift a car, power shifting vs. slowly getting back onto the gas would have a huge impact on shift time irregardless of how quickly we actually moved the gearshift.

On another note, it would be interesting to see a CVT data log.....

Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
LOL, I was being serious, I wasn't sure I understood what you were talking about... I think a more accurate way to look at it is to use the MPH line as opposed to using the G line. With the MPH line, it's CUT/DRY.......although not a perfect way to measure, it's damn close. Acceleration stops with the shift starts....acceleration resumes when the shift is complete. Using the G graph, it's a "guess" as to when the car is actually in gear and accelerating again. At 3.2 he's a PEAK G in the next gear, but at that point he had been IN GEAR for some time and on the throttle for some time. It would NOT make sense to say that the shift took until 3.2 seconds on the graph... Make sense?
Peter
We're just defining shift time differently, that's all. I define it as the moment full acceleration stops to the time the car regains full acceleration. Everything that happens between those two events slows you down!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Jamie, fair enough....but in reality my way is the right way.... hahhahahahahah

Peter

Old 12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
But in terms of acceleration Jamie's analysis is the bottom line. Car stops accelerating (and even slows slightly from 4th to 5th) between gears.

For straight line my limited experience suggests that SMG is not faster than manual.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM
We're not talking in terms of acceleration, we're talking in terms of shifting gears... Also, Jamie's analysis does NOT tell you when a car starts to accelerate again, it tells you when it reaches MAX acceleration in the next gear, enough to generate peak G in the next gear. Here your role is reversed professor, you are now the student... LOL

I do however think that a human can out shift some of the automatics on the market...

Peter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 60 to 130 - December 8 - Lonestar Results and Pics