996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best first mod for an X50?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Wink Best first mod for an X50?

I know I want to upgrade to some slicker wheels in the future, but assides that, and without going all out, what is a slow economical upgrade path, what does it get me etc??

I use the car for daily driving, dicovered there are some great roads out north of Houston this weekend, and hope to visit a track once in a while too, road circuit not drag..

I remember reading somewhere here but can't find it about a mod to the k24's, someone saying it was great bang for the buck?? What is this one and what does it help? Quicker spool-up/less lag? More boost?

Right now the car is a stock X50 in great shape!

Cheers!

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2007, 09:09 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
u can do an exhaust first . theres a few different k 24 hybrid setups u can do .it all depends what suites your needs best .. i have the 18g/k24 setup by protomotive.

again you dont have to mod yoru k24s though you can still get a some good power from them. it all depends on what you looking for.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Flash and exhaust will go great with your K24's.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
evo wastegates are cheap and easy and will produce less lag....

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
1) Short shift kit
2) ECU flash
3) modify existing exhaust

Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Yep, I'd like to try out a SSK equiped car, I know I am still a long ways to getting used to this car but you are through 1st so quickly I feel like I am stepping backwards when I shift to 2nd (more getting used to) as I am so slow...

Also thinking about the possibility of modding the stock exhaust vs switching it and need to examine that one. Less restrictive cats or less restrictive muffler/baffles???

Got a link to the evo wastegates?

Cheers!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 AM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Have a look at this

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=78446

The SSK is a great mod as well.

Good luck

Mark

Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by rosesplus
Have a look at this

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=78446

The SSK is a great mod as well.

Good luck

Mark
Yes, read that thread with amazement. I'd like to hear an X50 that has been modded that way as I am a little concerned about really overboard noise levels, I love the way the X50 exhaust sounds as is! The performace gains are impressive though for sure.

Found the link EVO wastegates now, cheers..

Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
Subscribed...

Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
See the movies in the thread....not much of a difference in cars x50 or not in terms of "noise"....fwiw.

Good luck.

JCB of the mod link.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 PM
3rd Street is infamous around these parts
i tracked my car for the first time this weekend...the x50 power is plenty as is (although mine is chipped and has the modified exhaust as described in the thread link above). I would have to say that you shouldn't worry about adding more power at this point...learn to drive the car. if anything, upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc. things that will help you handle the power better. coil overs are probably my next investment...that and strut brace bars. I have a short-shifter on order

good luck! have fun!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 AM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I started with a stock x50. I think getting started on mods really depends on what you want and how much cash you want to spend. If i was starting over, the first thing would be a shorty shifter (cheap , quick install and just feels great). I think exhaust is a must and would chip it at the same time. The car will sound great and performance will be improved significantly. If you are happy with performance, i'd lower the car with coilovers (pss9, JIC,etc). The car will look amazing and handling is improved. then i'd just give in to the disease and mod the crap out it

Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by willcoxmd
I started with a stock x50. I think getting started on mods really depends on what you want and how much cash you want to spend. If i was starting over, the first thing would be a shorty shifter (cheap , quick install and just feels great). I think exhaust is a must and would chip it at the same time. The car will sound great and performance will be improved significantly. If you are happy with performance, i'd lower the car with coilovers (pss9, JIC,etc). The car will look amazing and handling is improved. then i'd just give in to the disease and mod the crap out it
I need to mod my driveway before I can mod the suspension! I already have to leave it at an angle not to scrape the spoiler lip! But I can see the advantages of improving the ride/handling over increasing the power.n

I am going to hopefully try out an SSK equipped car this weekend but I already think it is a given that I'll be switching to that.. And yes, agree that the X50 has plenty of power for now, but I love to tinker.. Hopefully I'll get to hear a modded exhaust (that is the drilled out plate that bypasses the muffler) shortly before trying that one also.. I know a flat-6 turbo wont sound like an over cammed V8 (my old "BOSS 351") but it would be nice to make it heartier and add to the performance somewhat.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by boss351
I am going to hopefully try out an SSK equipped car this weekend but I already think it is a given that I'll be switching to that.. .
Keep in mind the transmissions on these cars can be delicate. Short shifters require you to put more muscle into each shift......more force + delicate syncros = big $$

These used to be considered a no-brainer mod, but guys are rightly examining the risk/reward part of the equation.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Better suspension would be my first choice. With good coil-over installation have the car properly corner weighted and aligned (should be done concomitantly) and you'll love the way it handles after that.

I have JIC with heavy springs and I like it. You can leave the adjusters at full soft for the street and then start closing them down (clockwise) for track events. You don't have to change the ride height of the car at this time if you don't want to, although it will handle better if you do. I realize you have a steep driveway approach angle. There are different chin spoilers that change the clearance at the front of the car. I don't know if there is anything shorter than the stock one you now have. Maybe someone more knowledgable than I can chime in.

You presently have plenty of power for the track, just learn how to apply it smoothly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best first mod for an X50?