996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:28 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Alex,

Really nice!

Btw...those exhaust tips are huge and the sound is very sweet! Where did you get that exhaust?!?!!

The straight pipes are still on...talk about frightening old ladies!

Old 06-02-2004, 11:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by StephenTi
The clearance issue I was referring to was in response to Ruiner's post about the Greddy Type S valve, not the HKS units. I can't wait til they get it in Fred's car to make sure that everything works before ordering it.

Are you able to turn the bov 180deg so that the vent port points towards the back of the car?
Mine, I can turn 90 or so.. To do it fully 180 degrees, well it'd hit although the guys were talking about a way around that. Either way it's pretty darn loud lol... There's a "horn" accessory which we didn't use, which I'm sure could make it louder.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by BCS996TT
Alex,

Really nice!

Btw...those exhaust tips are huge and the sound is very sweet! Where did you get that exhaust?!?!!

The straight pipes are still on...talk about frightening old ladies!
Heheh from you Bill of course Good for you on the straight pipes. Don't let the wife keep you down....

PS Did you dremel out that air box yet?

Old 06-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Detailer708
O Sharky!!!!Here you go again!~~~~ car sounds awesome~~~
Hehe thanks man.. you should give it a shot. It'll be even sweeter on 6 speeds than the Tippy.

BTW, did you and Ken hook up with the PSS9s?

Old 06-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by StephenTi
You're probably right. I just wanted to clearify for the forum so that there are no confusions.

Identifying parts in the intake/exhaust/fuel/etc should always be done relative to the direction of flow, and not location with which it is placed in the car.
Yes indeedy. Sorry I was in two-places at once when I typed that. I had one hand on the keyboard and the other on a wrench

James is going to figure out a "plug" of some sort for the useless/rendundant DV hoses that are no longer hooked up in terms of vacuum. That'll be nice since they can be removed. I don't know about you guys but that DV hose really is a POS and has split on me a couple of times already. I know someone else said they had that happen too. The nice thing is with this set up is that it no longer gets used

Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster

PS Did you dremel out that air box yet?
I just did the modification yesterday. Gotta take the car in for service first (rear wing piston went bad) then I'll throw that sucker in there.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by BCS996TT
I just did the modification yesterday. Gotta take the car in for service first (rear wing piston went bad) then I'll throw that sucker in there.
OK cool Remember to take off the back panel and rear fan... That way you'll really be sucking in some cold air when you move

Old 06-03-2004, 11:54 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Very Cool Alex,
I have always liked that sound, however I have a couple concerns/questions about the system (maybe Akkurat can chime in...).
1.Is there any benifit to the system besides the cool sound??
2.Are there any disadvantages to the system??
3.Is there any more hidden location it could possibly be mounted?? I ask because my dealer showed me a memo sent out to dealers by Porsche saying they are really going to crack down on visible mods... Obviously this is very visible and even though I have a good relationship I think that might be pushing it...
4.Have you redynoed?? Any gain in power??

I guess I am just looking for a technical explination of the advantages/disadvantages in regard to performance rather than sound...
THANKS!!
Evan
PS-I will get back to you with details on my project next week when I get um....FIRE!!!

Old 06-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Heya Evan, I pm'd you the details etc... I'd talk to Brian/James over at Akkurat and they can fill you in. BOVs/DVs don't "add" hp as such on a dyno and this is mostly for sound. However, I do think they way they designed it and the placement negates a bunch of weak, redundant and strange factory routing of the hoses....

Old 06-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Just a little update guys. I popped on the little horn element to change the sound and although I don't have video yet, it does change the sound. Seems less "psssshhhy" and more tie fighter-like and higher pitched. I prefer without the horn but that's just my preference.

Also we twisted the unit around about 75 degrees so it's facing out (venting out) and the sound is even more improved. I will have mark II videos shortly.... possibly with some "night-time" suprises

Old 06-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Let me take a stab...

1) Some of the factors that determine BOV performance are: how well it seals; response; flow capacity. Our oem Bosch valves are not particularly strong in any of the three areas. The HKS Type II is a serious piece of hardware. It trades in some response of the SSBOV for mega-flow capacity. I've run both before, and have never had an issue with seal. Great products.

2) In a MAF setups such as ours, you will get temp rich conditions whenever the BOV vents to air. The air has already been accounted for by the MAF, and when it's vented to air, the ECU does not know this, and injects the fuel that it thinks is needed per the MAF signals. In cars with a MAP setup, this is not an issue. Not sure how our Turbo ECU's would handle this, but per my conversation with Akkurat yesterday, the tiptronics seem to have no stumbling issues with it. We'll have to wait to see how Fred's 6-speed handles it. I know that Audi S4 ECU don't like vent-to-atm BOVs at all. Hope our cars dont' care, 'cause it's about damn time our cars start to sound like a proper Turbo car.

3) Probably the stock location per SP Engineering's setup is the most stealth. So long as you cap the return vent tube, you can set it up to vent to atm just like Akkurat's. Akkurat's setup is closer to the TB though, which is more desirable. However, there's no hiding it from your dealer!

4) You may gain some boost response and flow capacity, which reduces chances of compressor surge and gets you back into boost faster. However, unless your current BOV is leaking, upgrading them will not increase boost or HP.

Originally posted by AMG ETR
Very Cool Alex,
I have always liked that sound, however I have a couple concerns/questions about the system (maybe Akkurat can chime in...).
1.Is there any benifit to the system besides the cool sound??
2.Are there any disadvantages to the system??
3.Is there any more hidden location it could possibly be mounted?? I ask because my dealer showed me a memo sent out to dealers by Porsche saying they are really going to crack down on visible mods... Obviously this is very visible and even though I have a good relationship I think that might be pushing it...
4.Have you redynoed?? Any gain in power??

I guess I am just looking for a technical explination of the advantages/disadvantages in regard to performance rather than sound...
THANKS!!
Evan
PS-I will get back to you with details on my project next week when I get um....FIRE!!!

Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Great post Stephen. Exactly right. The only diff between the SQV and the Type 2 racing are the flow capacities. I woulnd't run the SQV on cars making more than 500hp. The response time is _supposed_ to be slightly better on the SQV which is why the JGDC cars use them.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
The adv of the SSBOV vs. the Type II is that the SSBOV is a dual stage dual valve setup. Smaller valve for low-boost situations, and larger valve under higher boost conditions. All around, a highly responsive BOV.

The adv of the Type II is that is flows more and is a more robust design. Slightly less responsive than SSBOV (but as good or better than any on the market). A must for HP monsters like Sharksters.

I'm still on the fence as to which I will go with once all the beta testing has been completed.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Weazel is infamous around these parts
Wow, what an idea!!

Old 06-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Updated version...

Here's a side by side of the the first version versus the second one. Notice that the flange has been positioned lower down, which enables you to turn the BOV about 80 degrees around so that it's facing outwards for an even better sound.

Yes it's also been painted black so it looks much better I'm sure you can get them to paint it black, yellow, red, blue or whatever you want. I know Fred's getting his polished...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)