996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
While they're at it, why didn't they cut off and smooth out the OEM BOV feed on the y-pipe? It's certainly cut down on turbulence by a lot.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That's the next step Stephen. Just in the initial stage, I figured I'd keep it this way in case I wanted to hook up to the DVs (or needed to). But that's next yes...

Old 06-13-2004, 04:37 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Damn... I guess more waiting for me!

Old 07-11-2004, 03:09 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Heya guys,

George got two more of the units back in today (one yesterday) and if anyone wants one just PM me and I'll give you the details on the price etc....

There are a few options. Painted shiny black y-pipe, HKS Type 2 Racing or a considerably cheaper HKS SSQV BOV.

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2004, 05:36 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
What are the main differences between SP and Akkurat's HKS BOVs? Just mounting positions?

From what I understand the racing version is good for boost up to 3.0 bar...so im assuming they're better suited for High HP cars. What type of Higher HP are we talking about? Would I be at a disadvantage by going with the SSQV BOV?

Alex...

Are these BOVS finally completed...or are they still work in progress? Let me know...

Thanks!

Last edited by BCS996TT; 07-11-2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Alex...do you have a video clip of a 6 speed with the typeII?

Thanks...

Old 07-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Weazel is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by BCS996TT
What are the main differences between SP and Akkurat's HKS BOVs? Just mounting positions?

From what I understand the racing version is good for boost up to 3.0 bar...so im assuming they're better suited for High HP cars. What type of Higher HP are we talking about? Would I be at a disadvantage by going with the SSQV BOV?

Alex...

Are these BOVS finally completed...or are they still work in progress? Let me know...

Thanks!
You would be at no disadvantage using the SSQV. When we sent Sharkster a free prototype model, it was a complete kit ready for bolt on. Same kit that we supply all of our customers. Akkurat felt compelled to change the setup. The SP Kit can come in the SSQV and/or Racing Blowoff valve form. We felt that the SSQV would be sufficient enough for the 996TT community. The kits are complete and are strictly bolt on. No welding, and no downtime. You have your choice of recirculating back into the intake, or releasing into the atmosphere. Either choice will not affect the car in any way. No ECU upgrades are necessary for the kit.

SP Engineering is also authorized dealers and Pro Dealers for HKS products.

Last edited by Weazel; 07-16-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned
Matt Fresh is infamous around these parts
i was under the impression that a BOV on the 996TT is not appropriate because the excess boost needs to be recirculated into the intake system, not only to keep the car from running rich, but to help the turbos spool faster. If you are releasing the excess boost into the atm, the you are going to have rich conditions, and turbos not spooling up properly, as the car was intended to be run, no? I am with everyone, the BOV sound kicks ***, but I ran into the same issue many years ago with my A4 1.8t. I put a BOV and the car ran rich, and turbo did not spool as fast.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Matt Fresh
i was under the impression that a BOV on the 996TT is not appropriate because the excess boost needs to be recirculated into the intake system, not only to keep the car from running rich, but to help the turbos spool faster. If you are releasing the excess boost into the atm, the you are going to have rich conditions, and turbos not spooling up properly, as the car was intended to be run, no? I am with everyone, the BOV sound kicks ***, but I ran into the same issue many years ago with my A4 1.8t. I put a BOV and the car ran rich, and turbo did not spool as fast.
That seems to be the underlying assumption, however, supposedly it's working quite well for some. It would be nice to get a detailed response from SPE or Akkurat on this as I am still on the fence.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:43 AM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by SP_wEaZeL
... When we sent Sharkster a free prototype model, it was a complete kit ready for bolt on... Akkurat felt compelled to change the setup...
hmm, that is sad…

Considering that Akkurat had been developing how they wanted a BOV for TT's before you even joined 6speed, it is a bit far-fetched for you to imply that they stole your idea.

I was at AkkuratPGI on numerous occasions late last year and early this year when they were kicking around BOV install concepts and the "hose-it" approach was rejected as they felt 996TT customers deserved more than a handful of hoses and clamps.

Apparently your two shops just came up with different answers to a similar question based on the type of engineering and fabrication each shop was used to doing. What is good, better, best may well depend on what the buyer needs and wants, their pocket-book and how they feel about what goes into their car.

What is it the Rising Sun Import guys say…? Oh, yeah, I remember, “don’t be a haterâ€Â.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
When it comes to turbo tuning using Japanese parts, SP Engineering is the only source.

Let's see here, so WHO was the first to use BOVs on the 996 Turbo? The answer is it was Wilber, who designed my previous 996 Turbo, who worked in conjunction with none other than... SP ENGINEERING!!!

If I am not mistaken, at the EC Shootout late last year, I was still the ONLY car running a true atmospheric blow off valve system. It was a dual Blitz BOV setup.

So by definition, yes, everyone else is a copycat!!!

Besides, guess who is the world's LARGEST distributor of HKS and Trust/GReddy products???

So as an influential african american group called Westside Connection would say... BOW DOWN!!!

Old 07-17-2004, 03:24 AM
TURBOALEX is infamous around these parts
we have been running all types of bovs, over 12years
thanks

Old 07-17-2004, 03:36 AM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Hamann7
When it comes to turbo tuning using Japanese parts, SP Engineering is the only source.

Let's see here, so WHO was the first to use BOVs on the 996 Turbo? The answer is it was Wilber, who designed my previous 996 Turbo, who worked in conjunction with none other than... SP ENGINEERING!!!

If I am not mistaken, at the EC Shootout late last year, I was still the ONLY car running a true atmospheric blow off valve system. It was a dual Blitz BOV setup.

So by definition, yes, everyone else is a copycat!!!

Besides, guess who is the world's LARGEST distributor of HKS and Trust/GReddy products???

So as an influential african american group called Westside Connection would say... BOW DOWN!!!
That's all I'm say'n.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Hey I invented the internet!

On a serious note. Nobody copied anyone else. Actually both companies were doing their own kits at the same time. They both work and are just different. The Akkurat one is just more bling because it's done on the y-pipe and you can see it. It's also closer to the Throttle body and because it uses the Type II is louder is all. But let me just say that they both work.

Alex, I have a video made of your one with SSQV but I was going to talk to you about maybe moving it to another spot because I couldn't get much sound out of it and on with my power the SSQV stalls the turbos. I think for stock turbos and power the SSQV is a good one. The sounds are different also. The SSQV is more squeeky and the Type II is more "whooshy". Depends on what one likes.

We know SP Engineering name is a good name in the Supra and Import world, just like Akkurat's name is great in the Porsche world. They come from a Porsche-only background for years in the Bay Area.

Last edited by sharkster; 07-17-2004 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Weazel is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
Hey I invented the internet!

On a serious note. Nobody copied anyone else. Actually both companies were doing their own kits at the same time. They both work and are just different. The Akkurat one is just more bling because it's done on the y-pipe and you can see it. It's also closer to the Throttle body and because it uses the Type II is louder is all. But let me just say that they both work.

Alex, I have a video made of your one with SSQV but I was going to talk to you about maybe moving it to another spot because I couldn't get much sound out of it and on with my power the SSQV stalls the turbos. I think for stock turbos and power the SSQV is a good one. The sounds are different also. The SSQV is more squeeky and the Type II is more "whooshy". Depends on what one likes.

We know SP Engineering name is a good name in the Supra and Import world, just like Akkurat's name is great in the Porsche world. They come from a Porsche-only background for years in the Bay Area.
I just felt it was a little weird when George at Akkurat called me to next day a SSQV kit to him. But, it's ok. Sound is a little different on the 2 blowoff valves. But regardless, they work just the same.

Movie Clip
http://www.jdmisgay.com/6speed/MOV07009.MPG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)