996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 07:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I spoke to George and he was saying that it was originally intended for one of his customers (Fred) but upon realizing the kind of power Fred was making he didn't want to risk stalling the turbos with your kit since it used the SSQV. So they decided to finish a design using the Type II racing instead.So it's just timingAs I said both work and are just different.

Let's all have a GROUP HUG

Last edited by sharkster; 07-17-2004 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Weazel is infamous around these parts
Group hugs are ok, but i just want to get my point across. There is no way that an SSQV blowoff valve will cause the turbos to stall. The SSQV is good up to 700hp and we've never seen them fail. Unless the BOV was hooked up wrong, then it's possible. And if you're telling me that the car it was hooked up on had more then 700hp, then I would beg to differ. And I'm talking WHP, not crank horsepower. If these blowoff valves were to cause turbos to stall, then HKS as a company would go out of business being that the fact is one of their largest sellers is the SSQV and not the Type II Racing. Come on..let's be real here...

See..the turbo is still spooling!!!

Old 07-17-2004, 09:24 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by SP_wEaZeL
Group hugs are ok, but i just want to get my point across. There is no way that an SSQV blowoff valve will cause the turbos to stall. The SSQV is good up to 700hp and we've never seen them fail. Unless the BOV was hooked up wrong, then it's possible. And if you're telling me that the car it was hooked up on had more then 700hp, then I would beg to differ. And I'm talking WHP, not crank horsepower. If these blowoff valves were to cause turbos to stall, then HKS as a company would go out of business being that the fact is one of their largest sellers is the SSQV and not the Type II Racing. Come on..let's be real here...

See..the turbo is still spooling!!!
Heya Weazel, how do you install a bunch of hoses the wrong way? For real though, my friends up here all have crazy hp supras and were warning me away from the SSQV. My car makes 700-750 (soon to be more) and I also have some crazy new technology turbos that have a insanely fast spool. As I said for MOST cars I know the SSQV will be just fine. I also don't like the sound of that one as much as the Type II, so that's a personal thing I guess. But there's a reason why all the high HP JGDC race cars use the Type II racing one. Your kit worked great on my car with the Type II Racing (I bought one and swapped it out) and it's a good thing you offer that too.

I do think maybe moving the position would be a good idea then you'll hear it. Of course not everyone has as loud as an exhaust as I do

Old 07-17-2004, 09:29 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by SP_wEaZeL
The SSQV is good up to 700hp and we've never seen them fail. Unless the BOV was hooked up wrong, then it's possible. And if you're telling me that the car it was hooked up on had more then 700hp, then I would beg to differ. And I'm talking WHP, not crank horsepower. [/IMG]
Just to clarify, on another post you mentioned that max HP rating for the SSQV was rated at 550HP and maxed out at 30PSI. Im assuming that is WHP?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...V&pagenumber=3

You also mentioned that you had seen other instances where the SSQV was used in even higher HP applications. Would that pertain to the 700WHP mentioned above? I would assume a car running this much power would need to utilize a Dual SSQV setup if maximum rating is roughly around 550? If not, how could a single SSQV application be used on a 700WHP car if the maximum rating is 550WHP?

Old 07-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
What does a BOV do?

Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by mehrabani1
What does a BOV do?
It does this:
http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/video/bovs.wmv

Last edited by sharkster; 07-17-2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
It does this:
http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/pssssh.wmv
It makes a "wind" sounding noise... anything else?

Old 07-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Actually check again.. that was the wrong video:P

BOV's vent to atmosphere instead of the DVs we have on our cars stock. So with the DVs you hear a "psssssh" or some kind of noise as it dumps boost between shifts and/or when you let off. A lot of rally cars have em..

Old 07-17-2004, 09:48 AM
blunt is infamous around these parts
I think you might have misunderstood what some of us were telling you. The SSQ can become an issue should two things occur:

-You need to vent a greater volume of air than this BOV can vent
-You run ~30psi or more on a normal basis

If you have either issue then you might want to run a different BOV in the case of the pressure level where the BOV may leak OR dual SSQs if the problem becomes the need to vent more air than one SSQ can do (to avoid stalling).

The SSQ is a great BOV with a ricey sound IMHO. It should be fine for most applications I've seen talked about here.

Originally posted by sharkster
Heya Weazel, how do you install a bunch of hoses the wrong way? For real though, my friends up here all have crazy hp supras and were warning me away from the SSQV. My car makes 700-750 (soon to be more) and I also have some crazy new technology turbos that have a insanely fast spool. As I said for MOST cars I know the SSQV will be just fine. I also don't like the sound of that one as much as the Type II, so that's a personal thing I guess. But there's a reason why all the high HP JGDC race cars use the Type II racing one. Your kit worked great on my car with the Type II Racing (I bought one and swapped it out) and it's a good thing you offer that too.

I do think maybe moving the position would be a good idea then you'll hear it. Of course not everyone has as loud as an exhaust as I do

Old 07-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Well as I said I prefer the sound of the Type II racing and I think my car is approaching the point where it requires the Type II. Why take the risk?

Also their web site rates it at 25psi...

I know you use the Type II also and your car only smokes me by three our four:P

Old 07-17-2004, 09:56 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Gee sharkster, would they work on KA?

Old 07-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by cjv
Gee sharkster, would they work on KA?
Heheh... you'd need a Type III:P

Come by and grab your stuff.. I'm here most days. We can try out the kit on your with the Type II. I bet it'd sound MEAN!

Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Where would you propose to put it?

Old 07-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Just give us the y-pipe for a day and we can weld on a flange same was we do for the stocker.. Or if SCARGO has a spare one...

There's a perfect place for it

Old 07-17-2004, 11:09 AM
cjv
sharkster,

Don't lose sight of the fact the Y pipe is 80 mm in addition to being double jacketed for the CO2 cooling. Eighty mm is over three inches. The pipe touches the exhaust fan. Actually, we removed the fan shroud because the lid would not close.

It's really tight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)