996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:31 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Even with that 80mm one which I've seen in person (good you removed that useless fan BTW), I'm sure there's enough room. Let's take a look.. better still if you can get a spare one from SCARGO.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by blunt
...The SSQ is a great BOV with a ricey sound IMHO. It should be fine for most applications I've seen talked about here.
So what to do if you don't want that "ricey" sound but are interested in a BOV?

Old 07-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SP_wEaZeL
...the fact is one of their largest sellers is the SSQV and not the Type II Racing. Come on..let's be real here...

See..the turbo is still spooling!!!
Any chance that price factors into how many ssqv's are sold v. how many Type 2's are sold?

Old 07-17-2004, 09:49 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
Even with that 80mm one which I've seen in person (good you removed that useless fan BTW), I'm sure there's enough room. Let's take a look.. better still if you can get a spare one from SCARGO.
sharkster,

I didn't remove the fan ...... just the shroud or cover. I don't want to use the stock Y as it is too restrictive. In addition, those rubber joints just won't reliably hold the 1.8 bar.

When S Car Go finally gets done I'll bring her by for an assessment.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:33 AM
9twin9turbo6 is infamous around these parts
Is this what all the fussing is about??...I joined this forum to learn more about these bov kits that a few of my friends mentioned to me....This thread is quite humorous (IMO)...SP built my friends Supra to lay down more than 820hp Supra and I must say WOW...if this is the type of quality work they crank out consistantly then I'm more than happy to have this BOV job completed by them. You will know where I'm coming from after doing some research about this company, I must say I'm very impressed with their reputation and their experience with various types of high end sport and exotic cars...I have been told by serveral people that these BOV kits are an SP ENGINEERING original...not by AKKURAT as believed by some...But I'm sure both kits work and perform very similar to each other, no reason for it not to if one kit was copied from the other I guess...I've never been one to buy fake or cheap parts...my signature says it all.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:42 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
sharkster,

I didn't remove the fan ...... just the shroud or cover. I don't want to use the stock Y as it is too restrictive. In addition, those rubber joints just won't reliably hold the 1.8 bar.

When S Car Go finally gets done I'll bring her by for an assessment.
That sounds good... What rubber joints? There's no rubber joints... She'll hold boost Either way it'd be a lot of fun to try out. Also we wouldn't use the "stock" y-pipe either. Just yours and/or a spare one from Scargo?

I want to see the finished article. I bet she's even more of a screemer than before

Old 07-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by 9twin9turbo6
Is this what all the fussing is about??...I joined this forum to learn more about these bov kits that a few of my friends mentioned to me....This thread is quite humorous (IMO)...SP built my friends Supra to lay down more than 820hp Supra and I must say WOW...if this is the type of quality work they crank out consistantly then I'm more than happy to have this BOV job completed by them. You will know where I'm coming from after doing some research about this company, I must say I'm very impressed with their reputation and their experience with various types of high end sport and exotic cars...I have been told by serveral people that these BOV kits are an SP ENGINEERING original...not by AKKURAT as believed by some...But I'm sure both kits work and perform very similar to each other, no reason for it not to if one kit was copied from the other I guess...I've never been one to buy fake or cheap parts...my signature says it all.
That's why I posted the group hugs. This thread was originally just a video to show people the akkurat one because I liked the sound and it could be heard. It was not intended to state which one was better/worse or who came out first and/or who invented the internet (we all know I did). Nobody copied anyone else and SP Engineering/Akkurat were obviously not the world's "first" BOV inventor either. They've been around for way more than 12 years....

I'm sure as SP will find out. Tuning in the Porsche community isn't the same and as cut throat as in the Import market. Look at the European Car shoot out, Scargo, Protomotive, Imaine Auto, By Design, Cargraphic, EVO etc... they were all "competing" yet each tuner at some point helped out another one. They had NOTHING to gain from it. Whether it be with mechincal problems, tools, spare wheels whatever. Nobody was being arrogant at that event. That's how the Porsche tuning community is from my experience and hopefully it will stay that way.

'aight peace out.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by 9twin9turbo6
Is this what all the fussing is about??... I have been told by serveral people that these BOV kits are an SP ENGINEERING original...not by AKKURAT as believed by some...But I'm sure both kits work and perform very similar to each other, no reason for it not to if one kit was copied from the other I guess...
(quote truncated)

Welcome to 6speedonline.

You are correct - the SSQV / hoses / clamps “kit†are, as far as I know, an SP original.

However, ‘this’ particular thread happened to be about an Akkurat project that modified the Y-Pipe and used the Type 2 BOV (no hoses nor any hose clamps). So it seems THIS BOV install was in fact originated by Akkurat, no? Although SP seemed to jump-into this thread sniping at Sharky and Akkurat while pushing their “kitâ€Â, so I might see how a misunderstanding could be formed.

SP may be THE preeminent player in the Supra world and for all they may have achieved in that arena they may have earned much respect (Hamann7 says they are great and I believe him). God bless them, really. However, in this matter they initially came across… lets say, a bit less than professional. SP has backed off from their initial mistaken position and that shows some character. Even SP acknowledges the Akkurat project is not the same as (nor a copy of) their “kitâ€Â. (Can anyone seriously look at the two and see either as a “copy†of the other?) Apparently SP even decided to also offer the Type 2 BOV as an option to their original “kit†after Akkurat used the Type 2 and not the SSQV. (Gee just who is copying who )

Other than my initial annoyance with SP’s false allegation of misconduct, I have no axe to grind with SP. Believe it or not, I personally wish them all the best, and the fact that there are two ways to go for those interested in doing a TT BOV is a good thing.

I trust you will continue to be happy with the work SP does for you.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Actually, my old 996 Turbo had a custom fabricated Y-Pipe with twin Blitz Blow Off Valves, which was developed with Alex @ SP Engineering.

We have been running this setup since early 2002. Who else can claim that??? Sharky, you know Wilber was the first to run the true BOV setup, and everyone else was still figuring out how to do it!

SP started their own project 996 Turbo recently, but they have been in the Porsche game for a LONG time.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:28 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Hamann7
Actually, my old 996 Turbo had a custom fabricated Y-Pipe with twin Blitz Blow Off Valves, which was developed with Alex @ SP Engineering.

We have been running this setup since early 2002. Who else can claim that??? Sharky, you know Wilber was the first to run the true BOV setup, and everyone else was still figuring out how to do it!

SP started their own project 996 Turbo recently, but they have been in the Porsche game for a LONG time.
was it necessary for your ecu to be reprogrammed to account for the BOV?

Old 07-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Hamann7

So apparently the Y-Pipe BOV is the way to go then?

Not that it really matters, but as a point of idle curiosity, I wonder why SP decided to reinvent the wheel with the SSQV and hose adaptation and not follow Wilber's success? It would seem obvious then (although I know these things are not always simple) that the Wilber invented dual Blitz BOV Y-Pipe set-up is the way to go since the Promotive car ran twin Blitz BOV's and won the Euro..car TT shootout?

Just curious (and I am sorry I don't recall if you mentioned this elsewhere), are you running dual Blitz's in the GT2 also?

Old 07-18-2004, 07:14 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
To answer some questions here:

-- The ECU did have to be reprogrammed, and the AFM is run downstream of the turbos.

-- SP uses the SSQV because the dual Blitz BOV setup would not work as a bolt on part to a stock 996 Turbo. You have to understand that the entire intake system was revised in that car. You would have to spend thousands of $$$ in custom plumbing to recreate that setup.

The GT2 will be using one of the HKS BOV setups, perhaps the SSQV. I will let SP decide. Hopefully I can carry this over should I decide to do a mild engine upgrade like the Ruf R Turbo package.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the "scoop".

Old 07-18-2004, 08:05 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I still don't understand why Killer Angel doesn't need these?

Old 07-18-2004, 08:36 AM
TURBOALEX is infamous around these parts
we where just try to make it as bolt on kits, people can buy it,and bolt it on, far as type-2 racing,, if you think you need the type-2, then do it, for the over 700hp cars,and why not blitz or any orther blow off? just hks fits better and all the blow off orther makers are push type, and hks are pull type, thats is why the afm are ok with it.
thanks
alex
sp-engineering

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)