996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 12:10 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)

Heya guys, I've been beta-testing the new Akkurat HKS Type 2 racing BOV set up, which is pretty nifty as it gets rid of a bunch of annoying (and weak) hose/piping. Watch the video and you'll see a pic at the end where it's mounted to the y-pipe and right after the throttle body (a great place to have the BOV). The sound is pretty cool too. I know Fred is going to do this but it comes highly recommended for the higher-HP turbos.....

Right click and "save as"

http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/video/bovs.wmv
Had no issues other than scaring a few old ladies....
I've had a few PMs about where and whom to contact about trying this set up. Just call : (866) 488-4588 and ask for George. I know Fred is doing this soon too. Should be sweet!

Last edited by sharkster; 06-02-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Thanks man. The FAB work on it came out really nice and their idea of placing it right after the TB works a treat. No need for the air to go around, and around and around all the other hoses. Also the fitment works out great and there's about 3-4inches to spare

Here's another pic of it:

Props to the gang at Akkurat!

PS Got to check out their race cars. Damn mean sounding beasts.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
That's a sweet setup, and is exactly what I'm looking for. However, from the pictures, it looks as though the BOV is mounted at the y-joint, which is right BEFORE the throttle body (TB), right? I've never taken a close look at the TB for our cars, but isn't it right before or on top of the head, and not upstream of the y-split?

Placing a BOV AFTER the TB as you've indicated makes no sense. When you are WOT (under boost), and you lift to shift, the TB slams shut, but the turbos are still spooling. Hence, you have the high pressure area BETWEEN the turbos and the TB. That is why you place the BOV BEFORE the TB but AFTER the Turbos. Placing it after the TB would not do anything for relieving compressor surge.

As always, "before and after" is relative to the direction of airflow, of course, so perhaps it is there that you're crossed up.

Now, some questions... cost?
How is it vented, back to the original port?
If not, does the original port simply gets capped?
Thoughts on dremmeling out the top of the filter box as you done?

Great work on this setup, guys. Now it sounds like a proper Turbo car!!!!!

Last edited by StephenTi; 06-02-2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Banned
You're probably right. I just wanted to clearify for the forum so that there are no confusions.

Identifying parts in the intake/exhaust/fuel/etc should always be done relative to the direction of flow, and not location with which it is placed in the car.

Last edited by StephenTi; 06-02-2004 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:48 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Nice, but I think this might void your warranty...

-dave w

Old 06-02-2004, 02:49 AM
Heya guys, you're absolutely right, I meant before and not after as you can see from the pic

Old 06-02-2004, 02:55 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Stephen, it's vented to atmosphere, that's why it makes that queef/whistling noise.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by StephenTi
That's a sweet setup, and is exactly what I'm looking for. However, from the pictures, it looks as though the BOV is mounted at the y-joint, which is right BEFORE the throttle body (TB), right? I've never taken a close look at the TB for our cars, but isn't it right before or on top of the head, and not upstream of the y-split?

Placing a BOV AFTER the TB as you've indicated makes no sense. When you are WOT (under boost), and you lift to shift, the TB slams shut, but the turbos are still spooling. Hence, you have the high pressure area BETWEEN the turbos and the TB. That is why you place the BOV BEFORE the TB but AFTER the Turbos. Placing it after the TB would not do anything for relieving compressor surge.

As always, "before and after" is relative to the direction of airflow, of course, so perhaps it is there that you're crossed up.

Now, some questions... cost?
How is it vented, back to the original port?
If not, does the original port simply gets capped?
Thoughts on dremmeling out the top of the filter box as you done?

Great work on this setup, guys. Now it sounds like a proper Turbo car!!!!!
Heya Stephen give George a call at Akkurat (or he can chime in). It's vented to atmosphere and can also be routed back into the system if need be. Works fine the way I have it.

My diy dremmel-job really does seem to improve things. On the 1/4mile I picked up 1mph. Also it sounds better and if you take off the fan and the back plate cover you really do let in a bunch of cold air as long as you are moving

Old 06-02-2004, 03:47 AM
Andrew708
O Sharky!!!!Here you go again!~~~~ car sounds awesome~~~

Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Banned
Originally posted by sharkster
Heya Stephen give George a call at Akkurat (or he can chime in). It's vented to atmosphere and can also be routed back into the system if need be. Works fine the way I have it.

My diy dremmel-job really does seem to improve things. On the 1/4mile I picked up 1mph. Also it sounds better and if you take off the fan and the back plate cover you really do let in a bunch of cold air as long as you are moving
You've no issues with CEL or rich conditions due to venting to atm?

Incidently, if you want the swish sound and want to route back to intake side, you can vent back as close to post-MAF as possible. Especially with your open airbox design, I wouldn't doubt it if you could retain a good portion of the sound while still venting back to the system.

Man, I sure miss the sound of the Racing II valve... had it on my Supra. I'll most likely go with just the SSBOV though, seeing as I'm only pushing 455rwhp.

Old 06-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Banned
Nah... I had the Type S on my GSX, and judging from our engine bay, there may be clearance issues with it.

Racing II or SSBOV for me...

Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 AM
No clearance issues here I can get the measurements tonight when I get home. It fits really well and spruce's up a somewhat boring looking engine bay

Old 06-02-2004, 06:27 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by StephenTi
Nah... I had the Type S on my GSX, and judging from our engine bay, there may be clearance issues with it.

Racing II or SSBOV for me...
IMO, the HKS SSBOV is one of the worst BOV's out there. I had it on my Turbocharged Type-R and although it sounded cool, it wasn't really up to the task. If anything, I'd go with a Blitz or Tial BOV...both are awesome.

- KJ

Old 06-02-2004, 06:47 AM
This isn't the SSQV though. This is the Type II Racing (a new one). A lot of people with 800RWHP Supras chose to run it and it works great for them and their 32PSI

Old 06-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Banned
Originally posted by sharkster
No clearance issues here I can get the measurements tonight when I get home. It fits really well and spruce's up a somewhat boring looking engine bay
The clearance issue I was referring to was in response to Ruiner's post about the Greddy Type S valve, not the HKS units. I can't wait til they get it in Fred's car to make sure that everything works before ordering it.

Are you able to turn the bov 180deg so that the vent port points towards the back of the car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Video of latest mod: Akkurat's Psssh-Style BOV:)